Was Larry Allen or Bob Lilly the greatest cowboy

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Hell yea.

My dad always said Unitas was greatest QB ever. He actually got to see him play in Baltimore while in the Navy. Before Dallas had a team Colts were his team.

And my grandfather always claimed Sammy Baugh was greatest he ever saw.

It’s always about who you grew up seeing. Rarely do we see later in life our greatest talents.

There’s been a few exceptions for me. Like Brady. Lebron is another one who’s definitely one of the greatest. But there’s not many .
*Slingin' Sammy Baugh/ Commanders fame o' yester-years game*:thumbup:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Bob Lilly still is the Greatest Defensive Tackle in NFL history.

'Nuff Said!

Mr. Cowboy, Bob Lilly, and the 1st Cowboy ever drafted, is the Greatest Cowboy!

It's not even close.

Einstein

Reaction score
Two GREAT Cowboys players (if we are sticking to just these two), but Bob was only a Cowboys player, LA played for another team, so gotta go with Lilly.

Turk

Reaction score
Bob was more than just an iconic HOFer. He personified the Cowboy culture back then. He was the first great Cowboy player.

Bob LIlly was the reason teams couldn't run down the middle of the Cowboy defense.

Dallas Cowboys #1 against the run from 1966 to 1975 in both yards and yard/attempt. That was Bob Lilly.

He is precisely what the Cowboys need right now...
Our guys in the 90's were not HOF level (though Lett could have been if he had stayed off the junk) but between him and Casilas and some very good backups we were almost as good against the run.

Lilly in 71, Manster in 77, and our crew in the 90's: Dallas has never been the team to beat without being brutally tough up the middle.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Awfully dirty trick you played there.
You went back and added that second paragraph after I mentioned The Great Depression.
You just responded so quick . I actually added it before I saw your response. The Great Depression was part of my original post you responded to.

Unfortunately, you’re unable to acknowledge you misread my intent which was about how living thru the event feeling the impact and emotion thru experience is something that can’t be equally felt thru the knowledge of studying the event. It didn’t mean to suggest your knowledge of the event was any less.

And why despite the knowledge I had from studying the Great Depression didn’t bring as much life to my paper as my families experience living thru it. That’s at least what my professor stated and shared with the class.

cowboybish

Reaction score
If you're comparing just these two in a head to head matchup I would go Lilly all day.
Larry was 6’3” and weighed 325 and Lilly was 6’5” and weighed 260. That’s 20% more mass and Larry could move like very few men that big. His mass and strength would move Lilly wherever it wanted to. That’s not to say that Lilly couldn’t get by him sometimes. If it was a 3 second whistle I’d bet 75% of the time Larry would win.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Our guys in the 90's were not HOF level (though Lett could have been if he had stayed off the junk) but between him and Casilas and some very good backups we were almost as good against the run.

Lilly in 71, Manster in 77, and our crew in the 90's: Dallas has never been the team to beat without being brutally tough up the middle.
Yep

This is something that’s not talked about enough this era. Cowboys have never had a championship caliber team without a great defense.

Either Jethro doesn’t realize or care with other agendas , cause it appears he believes our championships were all about the Triplets.

RoboQB

Reaction score
You just responded so quick . I actually added it before I saw your response. The Great Depression was part of my original post you responded to.

Unfortunately, you’re unable to acknowledge you misread my intent which was about how living thru the event feeling the impact and emotion thru experience is something that can’t be equally felt thru the knowledge of studying the event. It didn’t mean to suggest your knowledge of the event was any less.

And why despite the knowledge I had from studying the Great Depression didn’t bring as much life to my paper as my families experience living thru it. That’s at least what my professor stated and shared with the class.

When you walk through the Holocaust museum and see the "shoes" it brings everything that was studied to the forefront of thought. You leave upset and, frankly, very angry that something like that
could happen. (and may happen again)

I walked through the Twin Tower memorial. There were maybe 1000 people looking at the twisted metals hung like art and the melted down fire truck. Absolute silence. 1000 people in a memorial in NY, silent. You could feel the pain, very emotional.

Regarding your professor, well, many are now learning that professor aren't nearly as smart
as you're programmed to believe. Maybe I'm just exceptional in understanding history. I would
never allow another person to tell me what I can and can't feel.

Okay then, well, today is a busy day, so I think I'm done with this discussion, at least for now.
You'll need to hook another fish to get you through today.

Scotman

Reaction score
I'm not picking.

Each of the team's greats means something different. Lilly is the original star...and could we use a DT that plays like that today. Larry Allen, all-world athlete who was scary dominate. Emmitt...zero quit. Never seemed to take solid hits. Rogers...you were never out of the game if he was on the field. Landry was the symbol of integrity and stability. If he was in the room, there was never a question who was in charge. Tyron Smith a physical beast in a room full of physical beasts. Erik Williams was a cautionary tale not to take all of this for granted. Could have been one of the greatest of all time and he cut his own dominance short. Irvin, despite his mistakes, still bleeds Cowboy's blue. Romo, my favorite player during this entire mismanaged drought. Dak, hopefully ushering in a new era of winning.

The Cowboys represent some of my best memories from an otherwise rough childhood. No matter what was going on in my life, the Cowboys were there. My team. My players. Every generation bringing new faces and talents...new hope.

I can't pick a favorite because none of them represent the same thing to me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When you walk through the Holocaust museum and see the "shoes" it brings everything that was studied to the forefront of thought. You leave upset and, frankly, very angry that something like that
could happen. (and may happen again)

I walked through the Twin Tower memorial. There were maybe 1000 people looking at the twisted metals hung like art and the melted down fire truck. Absolute silence. 1000 people in a memorial in NY, silent. You could feel the pain, very emotional.

Regarding your professor, well, many are now learning that professor aren't nearly as smart
as you're programmed to believe. Maybe I'm just exceptional in understanding history. I would
never allow another person to tell me what I can and can't feel.

Okay then, well, today is a busy day, so I think I'm done with this discussion, at least for now.
You'll need to hook another fish to get you through today.
You’d be a rare individual if you felt the impact and emotions of the day as much as the ones who lived thru it and experienced it.

But if you think you can know how it felt as those in the Holocaust , that says it all. I rest my case.

Last edited:

ultron

Reaction score
The all time leading rusher in nfl history isn’t ‘world class’???

J_Allen

Reaction score
I don't understand how anyone can say Larry Allen was one of the greatest offensive linemen of all time. He was without a doubt the greatest of all time. How can you be any more dominant?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
He was the most iconic But Larry was dominate. I really don't think I can choose.

Lilly was Dominate as well. Unfortunately stats like sacks were not kept when Lilly played but he was one of the most dominating players during the years he played.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that was one of Tex Schramm's criteria for the Ring of Honor.
when he conceived it.
had to have been a truly great player.
impact in the community.
spent their entire career with The Cowboys.
He made an exception to that pretty quickly. Howley was the 4th guy inducted and he spent is first 2 years with the Bears. He was the only one that got inducted while Schramm was GM that didn't spend his entire career with Dallas.

To me players like Dorsett, Emmitt and Larry Allen still have to qualify. The very brief blip of the end of their careers with another team was really an insignificant part of their careers.

But for me Charles Haley should not have gotten in. He was a great player, but he spent more of his career with the 49ers than with Dallas, and the bulk of his career stats were built with the 49ers.

A lot of people want Deion in, but I have the same objection with him that I do with Haley.

cowboyec

Reaction score
He made an exception to that pretty quickly. Howley was the 4th guy inducted and he spent is first 2 years with the Bears. He was the only one that got inducted while Schramm was GM that didn't spend his entire career with Dallas.

To me players like Dorsett, Emmitt and Larry Allen still have to qualify. The very brief blip of the end of their careers with another team was really an insignificant part of their careers.

But for me Charles Haley should not have gotten in. He was a great player, but he spent more of his career with the 49ers than with Dallas, and the bulk of his career stats were built with the 49ers.

A lot of people want Deion in, but I have the same objection with him that I do with Haley.
agree.
Tex was also adament that Lee Roy Jordan not get in.
still held a grudge over Lee Roy's hold out.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Larry was 6’3” and weighed 325 and Lilly was 6’5” and weighed 260. That’s 20% more mass and Larry could move like very few men that big. His mass and strength would move Lilly wherever it wanted to. That’s not to say that Lilly couldn’t get by him sometimes. If it was a 3 second whistle I’d bet 75% of the time Larry would win.

Yeah give Lilly the same conditioning programs and workout regiment todays players have. Weight rooms in the 60's and 70's are can't compare to what NFL teams use these days.

coult44

Reaction score
I know the QB's and a running back or two, maybe even a CB and safety would inter into this discussion, but theses two were world class.

who you got? it's the offseason for us at least.

Discuss.:flagwave:
I love both, but how is #22 not in this discussion?