Was Listening to Talking Cowboys and Broaddus Said Players Questioning Coaching Privately

dupree89

Reaction score
I'm conflicted!
!

fitty cent always has interesting and thought provoking posts.
One question though...When the players run to Jerry, doesnt that show a total lack of respect for the head coach? Gotta have a head coach that COMMANDS respect.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
One question though...When the players run to Jerry, doesnt that show a total lack of respect for the head coach? Gotta have a head coach that COMMANDS respect.

Unfortunately, that guy can't hire himself. Jerry has to hire him. Good luck with that.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
So whether there's any merit to this locker room chatter or not, one of my rules to live by is, there's always more to the story. In these final six weeks, we'll find out just how deep this goes, and how meat there is to it. Personally, I've been a pretty strong Garrett defender, and I would love to see a revival under his watch. Not to stick in anybody's faces, but because I like and respect the man, and would love to see him lead us to another championship. However, I have recently come to the realization that I have fully run out of Kool Aid, and could very well see us go right in the tank. If that happens, and Garrett is gone, oh well. Life will go on about the same as always does I expect. Figure I'll just go right along with it.

dupree89

Reaction score
So whether there's any merit to this locker room chatter or not, one of my rules to live by is, there's always more to the story. In these final six weeks, we'll find out just how deep this goes, and how meat there is to it. Personally, I've been a pretty strong Garrett defender, and I would love to see a revival under his watch. Not to stick in anybody's faces, but because I like and respect the man, and would love to see him lead us to another championship. However, I have recently come to the realization that I have fully run out of Kool Aid, and could very well see us go right in the tank. If that happens, and Garrett is gone, oh well. Life will go on about the same as always does I expect. Figure I'll just go right along with it.

I wanted Garrett back for this season too. Honestly, I felt he earned it with the way he handled the tragedy last year. But I have seen enough. I cant take anymore. Everything he says and does- including coaching- seems to be so structured, so much 'by the book', everything low-risk. Its strange because the one thing that I think he did flawlessly was handle the car accident/ death last year....and he had no clue how to handle it and neither would any of us. The point is, when he just kinda winged it and tried to be a leader during a terrible time that had no outline of what to do, he was ultra impressive. But everything else about him has been canned, rehearsed, regimented, vanilla. And unsuccessful I might add.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Sorry, bro...but in a court of law, that is nothing but hearsay. Until we actually hear a player say things like that it means nothing.

Players almost never say anything like that until the following training camp, when you get all the "Man, this is so much better than it was last year, you can just feel the difference in attitude and confidence!" stories.

50cent

Reaction score

I think BP brought respect and command as well as Ryan to an extent but Jerry has undermining capabilities like no other.

50cent

Reaction score

Like you, I want to defend Garrett badly. I actually feel sorry for any coach that's under him. I once worked for a guy that bought a basketball franchise because he wanted to claim he played pro ball. He was hell to work with because he had convinced himself he was good at basketball and wasn't so his failures were on the coaches. This is Jerry in a nutshell hell bent on proving something we all know he's not qualified to do!

Szczepanik

Reaction score
It is kind of obvious. If as fans we question the scheme and we are not even players... I would imagine the players would question the scheme as well.

Maybe this will light a fire and change will occur. In order to change the authority, there needs to be authority that is questioned.

visionary

Reaction score
Well, something is wrong with the team, that is for sure. If that is it, I would rather hear it from a player(s) instead of a reporter. But...carry on, because it could be true or false at this point, IMO.

I can see the skid marks from here
Backtracking is ugly

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
if we lose to the giants, things will get ugly. expect ed werder in dallas all next week and the return of the "anonymous source".

I'm betting Ed and his buddy A.S. have had their hotel reservations in Dallas for a few weeks now. The are just waiting in the weeds

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Even if this team tanks down the six week stretch, do you actually believe there will be true, honest introspection from our front office on what is really and truly wrong?

Please do not make my laugh. My lips are chapped.

Alexander

Reaction score
Can they man up and just execute for a change? Scheme seems to be working fine in Seattle and Chicago.

This is not the Seattle/Jacksonville scheme. It really is not even the Chicago scheme. I have no idea what it is and I think the players don't either.

The doubts they have is they just do not feel comfortable knowing what it is they are supposed to stand for. Recall how all were excited earlier in the offseason when we were supposed to have that Seattle/Chicago hybrid scheme? I think gradually they have realized they too were sold a bill of goods.

Right now, they have no idea what they should be doing and look very conflicted. They have no confidence in the scheme and it shows. And if you listen to Kiffin, it does not look like he has a clue. All you hear from him is "it is what it is". Our biggest problems are in the back seven, regardless of the DL injuries. At least they feel they are on the same page. The DBs in particular just do not sound confident or secure and that is a very bad thing.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anybody who plays on a defense that gets it's guts stomped like this unit has is questioning the coaches, no doubt. If we have a bad game against the giants the finger pointing will commence on both sides of the ball.

Alexander

Reaction score
Anybody who plays on a defense that gets it's guts stomped like this unit has is questioning the coaches, no doubt. If we have a bad game against the giants the finger pointing will commence on both sides of the ball.
I agree. Lose that game, especially in the same fashion as other recent losses, the house of cards will tumble.

This game is really really big.

Proximo

Reaction score
Eh this is kind of non-story as far as I'm concerned, but of course the usual suspects are going to chomp on it and say that Garrett's losing the team, etc.

So, first off, even if the alleged comments were made by someone in the Cowboys' locker room, we have no idea who it is was. There's 53 players on the active roster. Was it Jason Witten that made the comments? Or was it some first year guy buried on the depth chart? Who knows, and this is why sports "journalism" is doo doo.

One thing we do know is that this team plays hard for Garrett. We've seen that over, and over, and over again since he's become HC. You can criticize him for a lot of things, but this is not one of them. And until this team has clearly given up on him and his philosophy it'll be hard to convince any reasonable person that he's losing the team.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
People blaming the collapse of the D on injuries are walking around with blinders on. Ratliff hadn't been healthy and productive for a number years. You were counting on him?

Sean Lee has never been able to stay healthy. From that standpoint, he's the defense's Miles Austin. You were counting on him to not get injured?

You were counting on a noticeably in decline Demarcus Ware to suddenly become his old self?

You were counting on whatever random safeties we pulled in off the street to be able to fill in the remaining holes?

You were expecting a couple of CBs whose bread and butter is man coverage to seamlessly adapt to Kiffin's zone D?

I can see expecting Spencer to be good, as he's generally been durable and was great last year, but the reality is he's had one great year that is an outlier in his career full of underachieving mediocrity.

To say nothing of bringing in a man in his 70s to implement his defense, when he hasn't had tangible success with it in several years.

Injuries didn't wreck this defense. Our feeble roster and all the accompanying questionable decisions the front office made over the course of several years did that.

Alexander

Reaction score
Eh this is kind of non-story as far as I'm concerned, but of course the usual suspects are going to chomp on it and say that Garrett's losing the team, etc.

I do not think Garrett has lost the team. I think they have lost themselves. I do not see a lack of buy in and until the Saints game a lack of effort. The unfortunate part is the noise is just as loud as Garrett's message, so the effect is spoiled. Stacking good practices one on another and the process is not the most powerful thing running through the minds of these players. There is a lot of doubt. It is not the end of the season. But I do see things getting much more stormy if we lose to the Giants. Especially if it is not a close game.

So, first off, even if the alleged comments were made by someone in the Cowboys' locker room, we have no idea who it is was. There's 53 players on the active roster. Was it Jason Witten that made the comments? Or was it some first year guy buried on the depth chart? Who knows, and this is why sports "journalism" is doo doo.

Ah, that darn evil media again. It does not matter who said it. There is that sensation, somewhere on the team. A little mole can still be cancerous.

One thing we do know is that this team plays hard for Garrett. We've seen that over, and over, and over again since he's become HC. You can criticize him for a lot of things, but this is not one of them. And until this team has clearly given up on him and his philosophy it'll be hard to convince any reasonable person that he's losing the team.

I think most people can easily take the commentary as being well above Garrett's head. He's not the leader and face of this franchise, no matter how much many people like to pretend.

Alexander

Reaction score
Injuries didn't wreck this defense. Our feeble roster and all the accompanying questionable decisions the front office made over the course of several years did that.

There was a lot of optimism based off of a very flimsy foundation. Especially Ratliff. That running theme amazed me when it was first uttered, especially since that interior push is so crucial to this style of defense.