Was Listening to Talking Cowboys and Broaddus Said Players Questioning Coaching Privately

Zordon

Reaction score
People blaming the collapse of the D on injuries are walking around with blinders on. Ratliff hadn't been healthy and productive for a number years. You were counting on him?

Sean Lee has never been able to stay healthy. From that standpoint, he's the defense's Miles Austin. You were counting on him to not get injured?

You were counting on a noticeably in decline Demarcus Ware to suddenly become his old self?

You were counting on whatever random safeties we pulled in off the street to be able to fill in the remaining holes?

You were expecting a couple of CBs whose bread and butter is man coverage to seamlessly adapt to Kiffin's zone D?

I can see expecting Spencer to be good, as he's generally been durable and was great last year, but the reality is he's had one great year that is an outlier in his career full of underachieving mediocrity.

To say nothing of bringing in a man in his 70s to implement his defense, when he hasn't had tangible success with it in several years.

Injuries didn't wreck this defense. Our feeble roster and all the accompanying questionable decisions the front office made over the course of several years did that.
i remember an interview in training camp jerry said one of the things that makes him optimistic about this season is the fact that the team won't have injuries like last season. he said it as if he knew for a fact. idiot...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
i remember an interview in training camp jerry said one of the things that makes him optimistic about this season is the fact that the team won't have injuries like last season. he said it as if he knew for a fact. idiot...

A lot of people thought that way in the offseason. I do not fault him for that. I do fault him for depending on the likes of Ratliff to be a vital piece of this defense when it has been clear for years that he has been on the decline.

visionary

Reaction score
People blaming the collapse of the D on injuries are walking around with blinders on. Ratliff hadn't been healthy and productive for a number years. You were counting on him?

Sean Lee has never been able to stay healthy. From that standpoint, he's the defense's Miles Austin. You were counting on him to not get injured?

You were counting on a noticeably in decline Demarcus Ware to suddenly become his old self?

You were counting on whatever random safeties we pulled in off the street to be able to fill in the remaining holes?

You were expecting a couple of CBs whose bread and butter is man coverage to seamlessly adapt to Kiffin's zone D?

I can see expecting Spencer to be good, as he's generally been durable and was great last year, but the reality is he's had one great year that is an outlier in his career full of underachieving mediocrity.

To say nothing of bringing in a man in his 70s to implement his defense, when he hasn't had tangible success with it in several years.

Injuries didn't wreck this defense. Our feeble roster and all the accompanying questionable decisions the front office made over the course of several years did that.

have said this before many times
good post

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
fitty cent always has interesting and thought provoking posts.
One question though...When the players run to Jerry, doesnt that show a total lack of respect for the head coach? Gotta have a head coach that COMMANDS respect.

There is no possibility for Jason Garrett to command anything if the players can go around him to Jerry. That's exactly what happened with the coaches between Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells. Jeff Perlman's book couldn't have laid it any more bare.

I don't have a lot of respect for Jason Garrett as a Head Coach. The way he's handled the end of games has been outright embarrassing in some situations. But, were he Lombardi reincarnate, he'd have had only slightly more success. Someone said it in another post or another thread, but management in any organization can't be effective if the person who hired them isn't willing to vest authority in that people they they hired. Jason Garrett can't possibly shape the team the way he wants it when all the players know they have to do when they don't like something is "call 212" (or whatever extension Deion was quoted as calling everytime he didn't get his way). Other than resign, there's very little a coach can do in that siutation. And since he has his stadium now, he isn't about to change......his eggshell walking days are over.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
It's absolutely fair to blame the injuries on defense. Even if you think Kiffin is too old, his right hand man Marinelli has had great defenses at Chicago just the last couple of years. You really think he forgot how to coach?

The place where injuries don't fly is on offense. If we were losing every game 45-42 that would be one thing, but that isn't happening. The offense is way underperforming even while healthy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eh this is kind of non-story as far as I'm concerned, but of course the usual suspects are going to chomp on it and say that Garrett's losing the team, etc.

So, first off, even if the alleged comments were made by someone in the Cowboys' locker room, we have no idea who it is was. There's 53 players on the active roster. Was it Jason Witten that made the comments? Or was it some first year guy buried on the depth chart? Who knows, and this is why sports "journalism" is doo doo.

One thing we do know is that this team plays hard for Garrett. We've seen that over, and over, and over again since he's become HC. You can criticize him for a lot of things, but this is not one of them. And until this team has clearly given up on him and his philosophy it'll be hard to convince any reasonable person that he's losing the team.

You mean like in the last game they played?

The one where they hit killed 49-17?

The one where a former Cowboys coach tried to call off the dogs and still ran all over them?

That game looked like Wade Phillips' death knell against Green Bay from a few years back.

If that wasn't what quit looks like, I don't know what does.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score

The one where a former Cowboys coach tried to call off the dogs and still ran all over them?

That game looked like Wade Phillips' death knell against Green Bay from a few years back.

I was out of town for the Saints game and had to listen to the last few minutes on the radio, so I didn't even get to see it for myself.

But two different postgame shows -- the official network show and the Ticket -- said the team quit at the end. Both even specifically said, "Well, we've always said the one thing Garrett could say was that the team didn't quit on him, but the end of this game looked just like Wade's last game in Green Bay."

And these are from people who are generally Garrett fans.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score

They definitely quit versus the Saints. The question is, was it just for that game, which got away from them and looked hopeless after awhile, or have they quit for the season. I personally think that the quit-o-meter hasn't yet gone full tilt, but that the team as a whole is now much more vulnerable to quit on a game by game basis if things don't go right for them early on.

If the Giants get a decent lead on us, I don't think we come back and make a game of it like we used to. I think we quit again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. Lose that game, especially in the same fashion as other recent losses, the house of cards will tumble.

This game is really really big.

I think this is the one.

I think if they can win this one, they may be able to salvage the season.

But if they lose, I think the wheels are coming off and I feel they may not win another one.

I don't think this team has looked very good for about a month and seem to be getting worse, not better, in almost all areas.

To me, it looks like these coaches have no answers, so why would anyone be shocked that they would be being questioned?

Some of us openly asked those questions when Kiffin was hired, and rightly so considering how poorly his defenses performed at USC.

With what has transpired thus far, those questions look more than justified.

I remember after week one, being happy to get a win, but concerned about a secondary giving up 400 yards passing to Eli Manning. Was told that 'it will get fixed, don't worry'.

How's that looking now? Better or worse?

If players are questioning the coaches, I'm fine with that.

For the job these coaches (not named Marinelli) are doing, they deserve to be questioned.

And then fired.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was out of town for the Saints game and had to listen to the last few minutes on the radio, so I didn't even get to see it for myself.

But two different postgame shows -- the official network show and the Ticket -- said the team quit at the end. Both even specifically said, "Well, we've always said the one thing Garrett could say was that the team didn't quit on him, but the end of this game looked just like Wade's last game in Green Bay."

Yeah, that's absolutely what I saw.

It was ugly. Green Bay all over again.

Payton called off the dogs and Brees didn't throw another pass for the final 8 or 9 minutes of the game. Otherwise, he would easily have been the next QB to go for 400 against us.

And they made Ingram look like a Pro Bowl running back too. I don't think he had ever gone over 100 yards as a pro and I think we gave him almost 150!

The Saints did everything they wanted to do against us, even when they weren't really trying.

That's quit!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They definitely quit versus the Saints. The question is, was it just for that game, which got away from them and looked hopeless after awhile, or have they quit for the season. I personally think that the quit-o-meter hasn't yet gone full tilt, but that the team as a whole is now much more vulnerable to quit on a game by game basis if things don't go right for them early on.

If the Giants get a decent lead on us, I don't think we come back and make a game of it like we used to. I think we quit again.

From the comments, I think the Giants are like sharks smelling blood in the water.

They know this team is teetering on the edge of falling apart and would be only too happy to give us that push that sends us over.

And unfortunately, that's what I see coming.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nice observations.

visionary

Reaction score
I think this is the one.

I think if they can win this one, they may be able to salvage the season.

But if they lose, I think the wheels are coming off and I feel they may not win another one.

agree with you

the difference IMO can be romo and Dez
Romo has played really well many times in NY and Dez can change a game by himself

if those 2 dont come out on fire, we are done

khiladi

Reaction score
A I getting this right? Is Broaddus just talking about defense and not offense? If that's the case, my suspicions about Broaddus being part of Garrett's groupie is even more confirmed...

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
A lot of people thought that way in the offseason. I do not fault him for that. I do fault him for depending on the likes of Ratliff to be a vital piece of this defense when it has been clear for years that he has been on the decline.
For me it is bigger than Ratliff being in decline. I am stunned with how "out of touch" the organization was with Ratliffs mental state. He had NO interest on playing for this team. Those whispers started way back in training camp...yet we kept hearing Garrett and Jones make reference to when "Ratliff comes back". I mean it is just comical

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me it is bigger than Ratliff being in decline. I am stunned with how "out of touch" the organization was with Ratliffs mental state. He had NO interest on playing for this team. Those whispers started way back in training camp...yet we kept hearing Garrett and Jones make reference to when "Ratliff comes back". I mean it is just comical

It truly is.

Like they had no clue what was going on with their own player.

A player making multi-millions in salary.

Did they just expect things to work out and for him to just come back to work?

And didn't they even make things worse by reworking his deal?

Makes them look like fools.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I've re-watched the game more than once. They didn't quit. They were just that bad and out of sorts. They had Heath at Safety, Webb/Pellerin as nickel CBs, Bosworth at MLB. Add that to Sims and Carter playing without Lee in to lead them. They even had Everett Brown, the 265 pound DE, playing DT at some points in that game. Ware was limping around and the remainder of the DL are castoffs from other teams and one was a practice squad rookie that had never played in a regular season game.

On offense, once the Saints had a big lead, Rob Ryan could play a high risk style defense that made the Cowboys offense look even worse. He knew the Cowboys were so worried about the pass rush, that his CB completely abandoned coverage on TWilliams to jump a short out route to Witten. A D-Coordinator can cause havoc when his team has a big lead.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've re-watched the game more than once. They didn't quit. They were just that bad and out of sorts. They had Heath at Safety, Webb/Pellerin as nickel CBs, Bosworth at MLB. Add that to Sims and Carter playing without Lee in to lead them. They even had Everett Brown, the 265 pound DE, playing DT at some points in that game. Ware was limping around and the remainder of the DL are castoffs from other teams and one was a practice squad rookie that had never played in a regular season game.

On offense, once the Saints had a big lead, Rob Ryan could play a high risk style defense that made the Cowboys offense look even worse. He knew the Cowboys were so worried about the pass rush, that his CB completely abandoned coverage on TWilliams to jump a short out route to Witten. A D-Coordinator can cause havoc when his team has a big lead.

That's exactly how I saw it. And, for the record, I don't consider being completely helpless to stop them a better circumstance than having given up.