Was McCarthy the logical hire or just a feel good after Garrett?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It sure did when they hired Bill Parcells. He turned around a 5-11 Dave Campo-led, talentless wreck of a team into the 13-3 team that Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett inherited.

Yeah.. I loved the hire.. Parcells wasn't a conservative hire.. Teams had tried to get him to come out of retirement. I couldn't believe we got him.

I wish they could get Parcells back in that building right now. He might be the 2nd best coach in NFL history and is certainly in the discussion.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Linehan was never given the lee way of McCarthy, 1st off McCarthy is making this call not Jerry. Linehan as OC was not the HC. People can slam Moore all they want but frankly for a 1st year OC he got a lot of production out of this team. Sure there are things he could have improved on and I think McCarthy will be a very good influence on him. As I said in my view this team needs a HC not just an offensive coordinator who is also HC. The entire team needs to see him as the man in charge of all phases of this team not just the offensive side of the ball.

To me it has little to do with Moore. Moore may be fantastic. I just don't think you hire Mike McCarthy for him to be a walk around coach and i'm sure as heck not sold that Kellen Moore being OC was his idea at all.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah.. I loved the hire.. Parcells wasn't a conservative hire.. Teams had tried to get him to come out of retirement. I couldn't believe we got him.

I wish they could get Parcells back in that building right now. He might be the 2nd best coach in NFL history and is certainly in the discussion.

He certainly brought credibility and stability that this team sorely needed. But Parcells was certainly a safe "conservative" hire. Like McCarthy, a Super Bowl winner.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me it has little to do with Moore. Moore may be fantastic. I just don't think you hire Mike McCarthy for him to be a walk around coach and i'm sure as heck not sold that Kellen Moore being OC was his idea at all.

Why not? What would convince you that it was his idea and something he's totally comfortable with?

sean10mm

Reaction score
What was the element of a risky, radical gamble in the Parcells hire? He had a long track record of success and no discernible downside.

If you watched Aaron Rodgers play this year you saw that having an alleged offensive mastermind head coach didn't stop him from looking like he's in yet again decline. Makes me think the McCarthy blame for 2017-2018 is overblown and Rodgers is just a huge prima donna a-hole.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Jimmy was and so was Parcells. I tend to believe Dallas needs a HC who has control over this team from offense to defense to special teams. I have no doubt he will work closely with Moore and I expect him to set the tone of what he wants and expects out of this offense but in the end the players across the board needs to know McCarthy is in charge

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What was the element of a risky, radical gamble in the Parcells hire? He had a long track record of success and no discernible downside.

If you watched Aaron Rodgers play this year you saw that having an alleged offensive mastermind head coach didn't stop him from looking like he's in yet again decline. Makes me think the McCarthy blame for 2017-2018 is overblown and Rodgers is just a huge prima donna a-hole.

Rodgers wanted it both ways, he claimed he did not like the play calling so he changed the plays but then takes no responsibility for the losses where he was calling the plays.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because I saw what a lot of people on this forum did with Linehan when it came to putting the blame where it belonged..

Same will happen with McCarthy and Kellen if this doesn't work out and it will prolong things for McCarthy because eventually he will call plays if things aren't working out.

I do not for 1 second think it was his idea to have Kellen Moore be the playcaller. Maybe i'm wrong but I doubt it.
The good side of this is I think this is a “win now” hire. CoachMac will have a short leash to win in the next couple of years or adios. I would rather have that scenario than the stupid Jerry pipe dream of building his own Tom Landry over a decade while season after season goes down the toilet.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was the logical hire. He’s also the candidate out there who was probably most likely to be able to carry out the structure the team already had in place. That had to make him a comfortable hire for Jerry.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He certainly brought credibility and stability that this team sorely needed. But Parcells was certainly a safe "conservative" hire. Like McCarthy, a Super Bowl winner.

Of course he was a safe hire.. He was an amazing coach that was a proven builder and could win with garbage. It's like saying Belichick is a safe hire.

McCarthy... We barely saw this guy without Hall Of Fame QB play and when we did it was awful.

He got fired for all the reasons Jason Garrett was kicked out of here for and the year after he was fired his team found themselves in a NFC Championship game..

I'm bigtime skeptical about this guy but he has a roster that has a floor of 8 wins so there is no way he will completely fail.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The good side of this is I think this is a “win now” hire. CoachMac will have a short leash to win in the next couple of years or adios. I would rather have that scenario than the stupid Jerry pipe dream of building his own Tom Landry over a decade while season after season goes down the toilet.

Jerry was stupid for hiring Jason in the first place and he was even more stupid for giving him more then 4 or 5 years.

You don't give any coach that long without some post season success and we wasted some very talented players and Rosters on that guy.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Together, him and @Idgit are the inane clown posse

Insane that there are people who make judgements off of performance and not off of the pressure to agree with a butthurt mob. So the mob turns on them as the next target. Because that’s what mobs do. There’s a lot of comfort in conforming, isn’t there, Blake?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Of course he was a safe hire.. He was an amazing coach that was a proven builder and could win with garbage. It's like saying Belichick is a safe hire.

McCarthy... We barely saw this guy without Hall Of Fame QB play and when we did it was awful.

He got fired for all the reasons Jason Garrett was kicked out of here for and the year after he was fired his team found themselves in a NFC Championship game..

I'm bigtime skeptical about this guy but he has a roster that has a floor of 8 wins so there is no way he will completely fail.

McCarthy also had something to do with developing and teaching QB including Rodgers who was still a backup in GB when he took over.

Coach Mike McCarthy arrived in Rodgers’s second season, and he recognized the talent that spent Sundays holding clipboards. Since 1993, McCarthy has charted quarterbacks in five footwork drills that rate agility and movement. In his three backup seasons, Rodgers improved most in those areas, McCarthy said, to where he now ranks “at the top of all of them.”

In what McCarthy calls his Quarterback School, Rodgers concentrated on tuning his fine motor skills: hand-eye coordination, finger dexterity, mechanics. He also lowered where he held the ball for a smoother, more consistent motion.

By the end of Rodgers’s second year, McCarthy and Thompson saw him as a starter who happened not to start. With his quarterback coach, Tom Clements, Rodgers studied every play from the Packers’ previous season. He also took the spring practice repetitions when Favre stayed home in Mississippi.

Between Rodgers’s second and third seasons, Quarterback School consisted of 10 hours in the film room and 3 hours on the practice field a week, an offensive study conducted in “painstaking detail,” Clements said.

Eventually, Rodgers focused less on learning the Packers’ offense and more on clarifying why defenses ran certain coverages, schemes or fronts. Now, when Rodgers drops back to pass, he does not look for his receivers. He looks for defenders, where they are, where they might move, what that means or could mean. Then he throws for receivers headed toward open space.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/sports/football/the-education-of-the-packers-aaron-rodgers.html

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
It's a good hire. McCarthy won't have Rodgers the Diva to deal with. Just Jerry Jones ................. (Is that better?)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Did we also see that "Hall of Fame QB" before he worked with Mike McCarthy? Rodgers looked like dog **** when he showed up in Green Bay, and there's good reason it took him years to play. McCarthy gets some credit for that.

Undeniably so, but there was a lot that changed about the Packers than just Mike McCarthy. They changed out the GM and actually realized free agency existed too.

And the improvements on that team came as a result of that's free agent spending on defense. Rodgers and the offense's points scored actually got worse. The defense jumped up from 22nd to 9th.

And after the last guy managed to fall on that "floor", there's nowhere to go but up. McCarthy is a proven Super Bowl winning coach.

Garrett is a never-was that this team wasted over a decade on.

Just being competent will take this team further than Garrett ever did.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's a good hire. McCarthy won't have Rodgers the Diva to deal with. Just Jerry Jones ................. (Is that better?)

That's not a positive.

I don't understand how any Cowboy fan can act like having Aaron Rodgers on your team is a problem.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry was stupid for hiring Jason in the first place and he was even more stupid for giving him more then 4 or 5 years.

You don't give any coach that long without some post season success and we wasted some very talented players and Rosters on that guy.

Careers. Entire careers were wasted on that clown.

Romo being the poster boy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
McCarthy also had something to do with developing and teaching QB including Rodgers who was still a backup in GB when he took over.

Coach Mike McCarthy arrived in Rodgers’s second season, and he recognized the talent that spent Sundays holding clipboards. Since 1993, McCarthy has charted quarterbacks in five footwork drills that rate agility and movement. In his three backup seasons, Rodgers improved most in those areas, McCarthy said, to where he now ranks “at the top of all of them.”

In what McCarthy calls his Quarterback School, Rodgers concentrated on tuning his fine motor skills: hand-eye coordination, finger dexterity, mechanics. He also lowered where he held the ball for a smoother, more consistent motion.

By the end of Rodgers’s second year, McCarthy and Thompson saw him as a starter who happened not to start. With his quarterback coach, Tom Clements, Rodgers studied every play from the Packers’ previous season. He also took the spring practice repetitions when Favre stayed home in Mississippi.

Between Rodgers’s second and third seasons, Quarterback School consisted of 10 hours in the film room and 3 hours on the practice field a week, an offensive study conducted in “painstaking detail,” Clements said.

Eventually, Rodgers focused less on learning the Packers’ offense and more on clarifying why defenses ran certain coverages, schemes or fronts. Now, when Rodgers drops back to pass, he does not look for his receivers. He looks for defenders, where they are, where they might move, what that means or could mean. Then he throws for receivers headed toward open space.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/sports/football/the-education-of-the-packers-aaron-rodgers.html

Rodgers was a first round pick and he's arguably the most talented QB physically of all time.

McCarthy also chose Alex Smith over him in the draft.

Sorry if I don't applaud McCarthy for Rodgers because to me Rodgers always looked like he stole things from watching Favre except he took out the poor decision making.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
the only hire that would have been worse than keeping garrett would have been freddie kitchens or adam gase.