Was McCarthy the logical hire or just a feel good after Garrett?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rodgers was a first round pick and he's arguably the most talented QB physically of all time.

McCarthy also chose Alex Smith over him in the draft.

Sorry if I don't applaud McCarthy for Rodgers because to me Rodgers always looked like he stole things from watching Favre except he took out the poor decision making.

Of course you don't. Rodgers was drafted by GB 2005, McCarthy became HC in GB in 2006. 2005 McCarthy is OC for SF not in charge of the draft and yes they took Smith with the 1st overall and 22 other teams passed on Rodgers as well so putting that on McCarthy is a bit of a reach. Rodgers like any QB coming to the NFL needs work and development to discredit the work and time McCarthy put in to refine those talents should be a positive but it seems you are once again off on your anti coach rants and unless Dallas hires the HC you want none of them are worth a damn. You spent all that time railing against Garrett now you can do the same with McCarthy. I guess somethings never change

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
That's not a positive.

I don't understand how any Cowboy fan can act like having Aaron Rodgers on your team is a problem.

He's not a problem from a talent perspective. He's got a ton of talent. But he's a head case, kind of like TO.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Of course you don't. Rodgers was drafted by GB 2005, McCarthy became HC in GB in 2006. 2005 McCarthy is OC for SF not in charge of the draft and yes they took Smith with the 1st overall and 22 other teams passed on Rodgers as well so putting that on McCarthy is a bit of a reach. Rodgers like any QB coming to the NFL needs work and development to discredit the work and time McCarthy put in to refine those talents should be a positive but it seems you are once again off on your anti coach rants and unless Dallas hires the HC you want none of them are worth a damn. You spent all that time railing against Garrett now you can do the same with McCarthy. I guess somethings never change

It's common knowledge McCarthy chose Alex Smith.. Maybe he didn't have the final decision but i'm sure his opinion heavily influenced their decision.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Sorry if I don't applaud McCarthy for Rodgers because to me Rodgers always looked like he stole things from watching Favre except he took out the poor decision making.

Rodgers had genuinely bad mechanics coming out of college and basically had to completely relearn his entire throwing motion over a period of years. The entire reason he fell in the draft was because he was seen as another failed product of Jeff Tedford at Cal who had been taught the same unnatural, disjointed throwing motion that helped tank Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller in the pros.

Rodgers is one of the only guys to come out of college with trash mechanics and actually fix them. How much of that is on him vs. on his coaches in Green Bay is probably something we can't prove one way or the other on an internet message board, but he definitely wasn't just a finished product out of college.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He was the logical hire. He’s also the candidate out there who was probably most likely to be able to carry out the structure the team already had in place. That had to make him a comfortable hire for Jerry.
I agree it was an easy and comfortable hire for Jerry.

Just to note this wasn’t my words on original post. But I thought it was worthy of recognition to ponder.

Over the years I’ve often enjoyed playing devils advocate. But since the hire the wave has been overwhelmingly positive and felt some backlash or opposing perspective was needed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the McCarthy hire has the potential to go either way. I think there are reasons for optimism and there are signs of concern as well. I’m optimistic because it’s no fun being a pessimist. But I understand both sides.

Reasons for Hope
  • A New coach always brings a new feeling of hope. Especially an accomplished coach like MM whose teams have played in multiple championship games including SB.
  • MM hired his own staff instead of having one rammed down his throat.
  • MM is good at developing young QBs.
  • MM was hired as a “win now” hire. If he doesn’t produce a better result than we had with Garrett I think he will be shown the door in 2-3 yrs no what his contract is.
  • MM has a style that engenders toughness. Something this soft team has needed for years.
Reasons for Doubt
  • Jerry is still in charge. The architect of the last quarter century still thinks he is a “football guy”. That’s scary. And despite what any say on these boards Stephen is still second fiddle.
  • Coach Mac was HC in an org that was owned by the people of GB. He’s about to learn what having an intrusive owner looks like.
  • Did I mention Jerry’s still in charge and hasn’t seemed to have learned that much?
Bottom line for me is I’m still optimistic. I think this was a good hire, all things considered. But I also believe the MM window is a lot smaller than Garrett had. If he doesn’t take this team upward within 2 years, I think he will be gone. Gonna be fun!
Well done Bob!!

Wait and see is my mode as well. The one constant throughout all of our HC’s this generation is still in the room. And that gives me reason for pause.

I’m most excited that we finally can hold our talent accountable instead of coaching.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He just loves to argue about anything.

But his position is always wrong. It's like he tries to be wrong!

I mean honestly, you're going to try to defend a decade-long proven loser like Jason Garrett and then turn around and attempt to insult a guy that's actually a proven winner?

The only thing you succeed in doing in showing everyone that you have no idea what you're talking about and that anything you say should be disregarded as totally wrong. If that's the goal? Mission accomplished!

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
But his position is always wrong. It's like he tries to be wrong!

I mean honestly, you're going to try to defend a decade-long proven loser like Jason Garrett and then turn around and attempt to insult a guy that's actually a proven winner?

The only thing you succeed in doing in showing everyone that you have no idea what you're talking about and that anything you say should be disregarded as totally wrong. If that's the goal? Mission accomplished!
Lol, I agree.....it's mind boggling isn't it? I don't remember him being this bad on the other board.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rodgers had genuinely bad mechanics coming out of college and basically had to completely relearn his entire throwing motion over a period of years. The entire reason he fell in the draft was because he was seen as another failed product of Jeff Tedford at Cal who had been taught the same unnatural, disjointed throwing motion that helped tank Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, David Carr, Joey Harrington and Kyle Boller in the pros.

Rodgers is one of the only guys to come out of college with trash mechanics and actually fix them. How much of that is on him vs. on his coaches in Green Bay is probably something we can't prove one way or the other on an internet message board, but he definitely wasn't just a finished product out of college.

That's what I was alluding to earlier. Rodgers was terrible coming out of college. His early NFL tape clearly shows it. He had the physical skills, but otherwise, he was awful, and needed the time and development. McCarthy gets some credit for that development, whether people like it or not.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The biggest impact is Jerry is no longer hiring the assistant coaches. This is what screwed up the 2019 season and wasted a talented roster. We are a ST coach or decent kicker away from making the playoffs last year. MM staff overall is about the same as garretts just different faces except the 1 big upgrade with Fassel coaching ST. That right there will win us 2 games atleast next year. But with the overall talent regressing we may be in the same position as last year, watching eagles in the playoffs.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
From a résumé perspective, the hiring of McCarthy is an otherwise smart decision as he won a Super Bowl, consistently defeated division rivals and reached the playoffs routinely. From a logical perspective, this hiring feels like it was a mistake.

I don't get your logic here. Yes, the good playoff resume' is there. Leaning on that is logical. Taking a coach whose teams consistently won their division is logical. Not grasping the illogic here.

He is an offensive-minded head coach. McCarthy was an offensive coordinator for seven seasons before becoming a head coach, where he called all the offensive plays. But he was fired in Green Bay for having an unimpressive and stale offensive gameplan (in addition to his rift with Rodgers).

His downfall in GB can easily be attributed to poor talent acquisition and his QB not being a team player. I mean, who would question the generational talent ARog? And Ted Thompson (GM) hated free agency (FA's picked GB up tremendously this year) and had 3-4 years of poor drafting. GB's running game sucked toward the end of MM's tenure due to TT's talent acquisition thus he had to rely on a QB who went off the farm frequently.

Unless McCarthy has revamped his offensive scheme, then there is little reason to believe that this coaching change will be any different from keeping Jason Garrett.

The hiring of the once offensive guru seemed rushed as the NFL season had yet to officially have concluded. The offseason is where offensive and defensive coordinators are open to head coaching positions, particularly those that are currently a part of a playoff run.

Only time will tell how this hiring will affect the success of the Dallas Cowboys. Time is dwindling, however, as their core and elite talent is aging day-by-day and their fans begin to grow restless over the continuous lack of success.

First our talent core ... should be good another 5-6 years (I think we are one of the youngest teams in the league) if we can continue to pay. If we draft well then we can keep talent at playoff caliber levels.

MM has said he is keeping a lot of the old scheme and changing terminology. He's keeping the previous OC. He spent a year in a barn with other experienced football minds LEARNING more about successful schemes around the league.

Was it a rushed hire ... no ! It was an early hire. And to me, the most logical. Pro experience, known disciplinarian, seems smart, beat the Cowboys everytime we played GB almost. Jerry coulda dove off into the unknown grabbing a coach with no pro experience or an NFL experienced coordinator with no HC experience. No, none of that would have meshed with talent that your post has already alluded to that is ready to win now. (" Time is dwindling, however, as their core and elite talent is aging . . . ")

Let’s hope that Jerry Jones sees something that nobody else sees in Mike McCarthy and he can establish the ‘Boys as a powerhouse .
https://nflspinzone.com/2020/01/10/dallas-cowboys-mike-mccarthy-answer/

I'm never sure what Jerrah sees but plenty of other experienced NFL observers and personnel really like the hire for the Cowboys. I think Jerry made the logical and really good choice. Kinda reminds me of the Parcel's hire which was working until Jerry sabotaged it.

Last edited:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree it was an easy and comfortable hire for Jerry.

Just to note this wasn’t my words on original post. But I thought it was worthy of recognition to ponder.

Over the years I’ve often enjoyed playing devils advocate. But since the hire the wave has been overwhelmingly positive and felt some backlash or opposing perspective was needed.

Is not part of the hiring "process" is an owner to feel comfortable with the coach he hires?
It was both a good and comfortable choice by Jerry. Give credit where credit is due. He fired a 10 year coach that did basically nothing, he had his "prove" it year and failed miserably, again. MM has had success, and the would make a person feel comfortable as well as good.

I understand the devil's advocate thing to a degree, I do it as well sometimes only to off a different perspective. Sometimes it is taken the wrong way, so I will try not to do that here. But MM was a great hire, and one of the reasons, Jerry did not interfere with him hiring his own staff. That tells me MM has control as did Bill.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
It was never the plan to hire McCarthy. Jerry himself already said that, during the interview with McCarthy, he felt like catching lightning in a bottle.
Jerry made the decision right there at that moment.

Remember the plan was to keep the whole offensive coaching staff together and hire a new defensive minded coach.