CFZ Was McGovern an All-Pro Talent?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ah. Rhetorical question. Thought you went insane for a second.

PFF had McGovern with his worst season in 2022. Poor. I would give him ok to poor.

If Waletzko can turn freakiness into play, that's the best outcome by far. He's under contract the longest and if he's the freakiest, he's the guy to give developmental snaps to. He gets the push over Farniok and Edoga. Farniok gets the push over Edoga.
Waletzko is unlikely to be an option at OG; however, with Tyler at OG and Tyron at LT, Waletzko could replace Tyron when he gets injured.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Waletzko is unlikely to be an option at OG; however, with Tyler at OG and Tyron at LT, Waletzko could replace Tyron when he gets injured.
I really doubt he can REPLACE Tyron. HE can ATTEMPT to play LT.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really doubt he can REPLACE Tyron. HE can ATTEMPT to play LT.
That’s the ‘million dollar question’ isn’t it?

Offseason reports have been glowing but now we need to see them translate onto the field.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I hope the new o-line coach that Martin apparently was very pleased with (https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/martin-solari-bringing-edge-back-to-dallas-ol) isn't so stupid as to put a player that hasn't played a full season in 7 years as the starter. Continuity on the o-line is one of the biggest factors in having a great offensive line. Tyron will miss games, you can book it. Find a starter at LG and leave him in there if at all possible...
The 49ers LT hasn't played a full season in 9 years. If that's the bar. He's also older than Tyron.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
My hope is that he develops to that point because if he does then we would be able to keep Tyler at LG, where I think he has the potential to become a Martin-esque guard because of his power and movement skills. Maybe he has that potential as well at tackle, though, but if Waletzko can be a solid LT, it might serve us best to keep Tyler at LG. Of course, that's assuming that what we briefly saw of Waletzko at LT can be developed into starter quality. I think he shows the feet for it and his length/reach makes it tough to get around him. It's just a question of whether he can anchor/regroup against power moves IMO.

He's probably the backup lineman I'm most excited to see in camp.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
If this OL group is healthy, they are more than fine.

Fans never want to acknowledge but luck with health has a ton do with success.

If Dallas gets lucky on OL health this can be a top 5 unit.
But if they have a couple guys go down as they did last year it will hurt.
It would hurt anyone. There are maybe 120 starting caliber NFL linemen to go around. So teams are starting borderline guys like McGovern
Add in injuries and teams often end up starting clear back ups.
You lose LT1 and RT1 in the same season and yea, you aren't going to bully the SF 49ers DL.

But I do like that Dallas showed last year they would shuffle OL. That was new and very McCarthy.
Shuffling allows you to get looks at more guys in more spaces.
Perhaps Dallas could have done with that Connor Williams at OC and found what Miami did.
Dallas used to do that in the 90s as well.
Get your 5 best OL on the field.

BermyStar

Reaction score
Man! This is a very informative post OP. I skipped past it a few times because I thought there was a different angle, but I'm glad I clicked in. Thanks for this

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The tools are there:

Now it’s just a matter of refining them and continuing to learn the pro game. But everything I’ve heard about him has been positive.

Good post! I'm very optimistic!!!!!!!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If Tyron is not available, they'd prefer to play Tyler at LT, and probably have a better line. LG is just less demanding than LT, and Waletzko isn't the player that Tyler is.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I have really high hopes for Waletzko. Attitude wise, he might be the meanest, most aggressive OL on the roster. He is nasty. Obviously looking at his RAS, he has the feet to play LT. Coming out of college, he just needed to work on his strength and get his shoulder fixed so it didn’t keep popping out. He has the shoulder fixed and they’ve been working on his strength, so hopefully he’s ready to compete.

The little bit that I saw of him last year looked very solid. He has really good feet. I’d love to have him and Tyler Smith on the left side because those are 2 mean S.O.B’s to have over there side-by-side.

An absolute best case scenario is for Waletzko to be able to play swing tackle until Tyron Smith retires (gets injured) and then for him to just take over LT once Smith is gone. Then Tyler Smith could just stay at LG, which would be ideal because this blocking scheme is going to require athleticism and good feet at guard… things that Tyler has an abundance of.