CFZ Was McGovern an All-Pro Talent?

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice if they had a young immensely talented guard for the future at either guard spot. Like the two guys we know are older and one foot in the retirement coffin and we can still do something about it now? Man what a shame they can't duplicate Tyler into a clone to play two spots at once. Shame.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Maybe, I'll say it again, under JG if a player was not good before he got here he didnt ever grow... this current coachign staff has grown players, it does happen all over the NFL players get better as they gain experience.
So who is it your saying is going to get better?

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
My money is on Isaac Alarcon (j/k). I wouldn't mind if he became good though. I'm just hoping we have some good depth because we know Tyron is going to get hurt at some point. It would be more unusual to never have an injury at OL than to have a completely healthy line all season, so having 2-3 guys that can step in and not be bad is very important.

gtb1943

Reaction score
The line will be Tyron at LT and Tyler at LG unless Edoga or someone shows they are outstanding at LG and then Tyron will be Swing...
Tyron stays at LT until he goes down. Anyone thinking otherwise is a football idiot

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Want to see Farniok battle for a starting spot opposite Martin . Keep 73 at LT and ease 77 back into full time duty as RT as the career winds down .
They've already said that they are playing the best five. So pick out the best five OL and then put them in the positions you think they will be played at. I know where I have them.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I keep seeing claims that the OLine got worse and there is a huge "hole" at LG.

The only loss was McGovern. If the OLine got radically worse as claimed by CZ, then McGovern must have been a borderline All-Pro.

Note: In some games they alternated McGovern and 40 year old Jason Peters...

In 2021 McGovern started 4 games in place of Connor Williams.
- He was terrible.
- After his 4 starts, they switched back to Conner Penalty Williams.

In 2022 McGovern was somewhere between "good enough" and borderline All-Pro depending on who you ask.

Tyler, Steele and Tyron will all start if healthy.
- That means one of them (probably Tyler) starts at LG.
- Obviously Tyron will eventually miss a game or more with injury issues.

The top options at LG with Tyron out:
- Tyler at LT and Edoga or Farniok at LG.
or
- Waletzko at OG with Tyler at LG.

Farniok: I recently re-reviewed him vs the Bengals (He started 2 games with McGovern out).
- He was "good enough".
- He had many good snaps vs 345 pound DT Josh Tupou.
- He has some good and some bad snaps vs top tier DT DJ Reader.
- Summary: He was generally good physically but made some mistakes while playing next to rookie LT Tyler Smith early in the season.

Edoga:
- Played most (maybe all) games for the Jets at OT. Was a good run blocker but sometimes had issue with Pass blocking.
- Started 1 game last season for the Falcons at LG.
- I reviewed all of his snaps in that game. In my opinion he looked as good or better than McGovern.
- It was only 1 game (Bears). I don't know if the Bears DT are good or bad per se.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/cowboys-lg-chuma-edoga.510746/page-2#post-12758195

Waletzko:
- My 1st thought when I reviewed his college game footage was "He's a Tyler Smith mini-me".
- Not his physical build, but his play style and on-field demeanor.
- It is not surprising that the same people that drafted Tyler would draft Waletzko.
- He is a freakish athlete. His 9.96 RAS was 6th of 1218 OTs from 1987 to 2022.
- He was already within an NFL weight range when drafted (315).

Free Agent option:
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/cowboys-og-dalton-risner.510850/page-2#post-12758191
McGovern got better as the season went in, but honestly up until midseason I think he and Farniok were pretty much a wash

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My money is on Isaac Alarcon (j/k). I wouldn't mind if he became good though. I'm just hoping we have some good depth because we know Tyron is going to get hurt at some point. It would be more unusual to never have an injury at OL than to have a completely healthy line all season, so having 2-3 guys that can step in and not be bad is very important.
Isaac Alarcón was moved to DT...

Brooksey

Reaction score
We don't need hall of famers and all -pros at every position. We have Tyron Smith, Tyler Smith, Biadasz, Martin and Steele. Awesome. Now add Schoonmaker at TE.

Chuma and Asim are two nice young prospects who will back up left guard. Our O-Line is the least of our concerns.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Farniok is the guy if Tyler is playing tackle. We are obviously a little thin at Guard, which is the big concern. I would have rather drafted a Guard in rd 2, but the front office probably knows more than me about their situation.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I am with xwalker on this. McGovern was nothing more than an average at best OL. Consider also that when he did play he was playing next to a rookie that was playing a position he hadn't really practiced at much. So it was not surprising there were some breakdowns in communication there. Two young guys. I have no doubt that Farniok can replace what we got from McGovern. I also think Edoga can do that as well. I see no reason to sign Risner. He wants to get paid, and has not been very good lately. It would be another misuse of sal cap space. Waletzko looked like he had some promise as well as OT, much better than any others we had. Just curious, what happened to the other backup OT that got some game time last year?

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

The only loss was McGovern. If the OLine got radically worse as claimed by CZ, then McGovern must have been a borderline All-Pro.

- He was terrible.

In 2022 McGovern was somewhere between "good enough" and borderline All-Pro depending on who you ask.

or

Farniok: I recently re-reviewed him vs the Bengals (He started 2 games with McGovern out).
- He was "good enough".
- Summary: He was generally good physically but made some mistakes while playing next to rookie LT Tyler Smith early in the season.

Edoga:
- Played most (maybe all) games for the Jets at OT. Was a good run blocker but sometimes had issue with Pass blocking.
- I reviewed all of his snaps in that game. In my opinion he looked as good or better than McGovern.
- It was only 1 game (Bears). I don't know if the Bears DT are good or bad per se.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/cowboys-lg-chuma-edoga.510746/page-2#post-12758195

Waletzko:
- My 1st thought when I reviewed his college game footage was "He's a Tyler Smith mini-me".
- It is not surprising that the same people that drafted Tyler would draft Waletzko.

Free Agent option:
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/cowboys-og-dalton-risner.510850/page-2#post-12758191
The staff probably feels Edoga is about the same as McGovern as an OG. So that's probably their worst case scenario that they can use as a fallback plan.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
I don’t think the line got worse but it certainly didn’t get better. Tyron Smith will be hurt at some point. How long does it take Steele to get back to where he was before the injury. Those are two big question marks to start the season let alone any injuries happening to the other starters. I’m hoping they have some guys ready to step up that we aren’t really counting on.
Depth is the concern right now until other guys prove they belong or don’t.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think the line got worse but it certainly didn’t get better. Tyron Smith will be hurt at some point. How long does it take Steele to get back to where he was before the injury. Those are two big question marks to start the season let alone any injuries happening to the other starters. I’m hoping they have some guys ready to step up that we aren’t really counting on.
Depth is the concern right now until other guys prove they belong or don’t.
Tyler in his 2nd season is a big improvement. He was very raw in college. He developed rapidly in the NFL but 2nd year will eliminate many mistakes.

Asking Edoga or Farniok to be as good as McGovern is not a high bar.

Need Tyron to stay healthy until Steele ready to start. Steele might be ready immediately but Tyron at RT is the option if Steele not ready.

Waletzko is the wildcard. McCarthy raved about him in a recent press conference.

It's a Longshot but will be interesting to see Josh Ball at OG. He bullied John Ridgeway in camp last year in the snaps when they were 1-on-1. Yes, fans hate Ball for silky reasons.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

- He was terrible.

or

- He was "good enough".

Edoga:

Waletzko:

Free Agent option:

The problem isn't that we lost McGovern. The problem is that we haven't strengthen that position or upgraded it. I think we basically downgraded. I'm with some here thinking we should have gotten oline in the 2nd round.