Twitter: Washington has also requested permission to speak to Will McClay

Gambit

Reaction score
Serious question.

If Will were to leave and take a GM position would we get draft compensation like 49ers got for losing 3 minority coaches to promotions? Or is that just reserved for coaches?

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
If they offer him GM and autonomy over player personnel, why wouldn't he leave? Managing a roster without Jerry and Stephen Jones looking over your shoulder, having a draft war room that didn't double as a Jones family reunion....hard to imagine McClay won't bolt if they make him a great offer.
He had young kids and doesn't want to move his family?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they offer him GM and autonomy over player personnel, why wouldn't he leave? Managing a roster without Jerry and Stephen Jones looking over your shoulder, having a draft war room that didn't double as a Jones family reunion....hard to imagine McClay won't bolt if they make him a great offer.
You mean like having control that the owner doesn't trade a 4th round pick for a former 1st round QB?
:muttley:
Which I was, and am still ok with that move.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He had young kids and doesn't want to move his family?
That would be a strong argument for him to reject any offers but not a deterrent. Others, in his same position, have uprooted their families for 'better' career opportunities. McClay would not be an outlier for taking another position elsewhere.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Serious question.

If Will were to leave and take a GM position would we get draft compensation like 49ers got for losing 3 minority coaches to promotions? Or is that just reserved for coaches?
USA Today:

However, the NFL began awarding compensatory picks in 2020 to teams who lost a minority coach or top football executive to another team. The awarded teams are given third-round selections in each of the next two drafts or each of the next three drafts if two minority employees are hired by another team. These are special comp picks not beholden to the limit of 32.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
USA Today:

However, the NFL began awarding compensatory picks in 2020 to teams who lost a minority coach or top football executive to another team. The awarded teams are given third-round selections in each of the next two drafts or each of the next three drafts if two minority employees are hired by another team. These are special comp picks not beholden to the limit of 32.
So if we lose McClay and Harris, we can get 2 - 3rd round pick in the next 3 drafts.....that could be something to think about...6 - 3rd round pick extra in 3 years. That is some trading ammo right there as well.

SlimBig

Reaction score
Washington stays trying to poach our talent.
Cowboys lite

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
If McClay leaves, I hope he gets the GM title he deserves.

Also, I would hope he goes to a premier, or at least a once-prestigious organization.

Not some place like Carolina or Tennessee.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Josh Harris, Magic Johnson and their sniveling group of rats already up to no good. Why don't they go try to rob some other team's top front office personnel and coaching coordinators instead? Why the Dallas Cowboys?

erod

Reaction score
No!

He's the only thing holding this circus together.

Gambit

Reaction score
USA Today:

Thanks TN

I'm in TN too near Knoxville

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I do not know what his reasoning would be. Perhaps the opportunity for a proper title and recognition for what he can do and has done..? It is a mystery.
Jerry could give him the gm title easily. Just step back Jethro and let it happen while you get out the large checkbook. McClay should stay!

Plankton

Reaction score
I have said this more than once - Will McClay has the greatest gig in the world. If the Cowboys hit on a draft pick(s), McClay gets all of the credit and flowers. If a pick busts, everyone blames Jerry Jones. Why would you leave a setup like that where you are teflon with the fan base?

1942willys

Reaction score
IF Will leaves I doubt we get compensation since it would be to take a GM position which is a promotion.

1942willys

Reaction score
I have said this more than once - Will McClay has the greatest gig in the world. If the Cowboys hit on a draft pick(s), McClay gets all of the credit and flowers. If a pick busts, everyone blames Jerry Jones. Why would you leave a setup like that where you are teflon with the fan base?
Maybe he is tired of putting up with Jerry?

would not be the first one to leave because of that