Twitter: Washington has also requested permission to speak to Will McClay

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would not be happening in Washington.
What would happen in Washington post-Daniel Snyder is still unknown. The new owner has not done enough in the NFL to demonstrate a pattern of how he oversees his front office.

That said, Joel Harris owns multiple professional sports team franchises outside the NFL. He has demonstrated seeking and installing quality management of his basketball and hockey operations. No one knows where he will take the Commanders but it is not Daniel Snyder guiding that ship any longer.

stiletto

Reaction score
Are you actually saying that Will McClay is leaving? I don't think so.
I doubt he leaves but some people do chase other things than money. McClay will never be GM in Dallas, he might get a much more powerful role somewhere with full GM/Director of Player Personnel, etc. It's not always about $$..

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What would happen in Washington post-Daniel Snyder is still unknown. The new owner has not done enough in the NFL to demonstrate a pattern of how he oversees his front office.

That said, Joel Harris owns multiple professional sports team franchises outside the NFL. He has demonstrated seeking and installing quality management of his basketball and hockey operations. No one knows where he will take the Commanders but it is not Daniel Snyder guiding that ship any longer.
Correction: that will not be happening in the near-medium term.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could see McClay leaving for a GM / Director of Football Operations type role, where he has total control for a hands-off owner. That may be the Washington situation. It would be for the challenge, not the money or title.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic with you or anything. I just meant that while I agree with you that there will certainly be the installation of much better leadership by the new owner, it will probably take a few years to get the ship steered in the right direction. That roster does not have a lot of premium talent on it, and still does not have a QB (I don't think Howell is the answer).

Whether McClay would want to participate in that transition period, I have no idea.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Depending on how this season plays out, JJ needs to get his wallet out and set it on the negotiating table. JJ may be tight when it comes to signing game changing FAs, but when it comes to keeping the talent that doesn't hit against the CAP SPACE then JJ needs to pay these men. If he doesn't then this organization could turn into the Eagles of late and we all know how that's working for them...............LOL!

rambo2

Reaction score
I doubt he leaves but some people do chase other things than money. McClay will never be GM in Dallas, he might get a much more powerful role somewhere with full GM/Director of Player Personnel, etc. It's not always about $$..
McClay is the gm. He just doesn't have that title. He gets paid for being the gm. He is awesome at what he does. He has built this team.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
It all comes down to how much he really wants these opportunities or just likes what he does in Dallas. If he wants to be the dude that calls all the shots, contracts, trades, etc. then he probably entertains those offers.

CWR

Reaction score
Understood. McClay may not leave. It is his choice. However, he is not constrained to Dallas if he has an ambition to do more and be recognized for doing such, just like any other person with ambition. I hope he stay as well.
Yeah I get it. I don't think it's worth the rub. He has it made here. I hope he feels the same.

CWR

Reaction score
If I am JJ, now way a division rival gets permission to interview our coaches.
As long as it's considered a step up I don't think Jerry has a choice. He can only block a lateral/step down move.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I have said this more than once - Will McClay has the greatest gig in the world. If the Cowboys hit on a draft pick(s), McClay gets all of the credit and flowers. If a pick busts, everyone blames Jerry Jones. Why would you leave a setup like that where you are teflon with the fan base?
He has a few busts, team has a couple bad years, he's gone. Jerry & Stephen have shown that they will never fire themselves. He has no more job security than anyone else.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
As long as it's considered a step up I don't think Jerry has a choice. He can only block a lateral/step down move.
I think you're correct there. Makes you wonder why they need to ask for permission then.

Reactions: CWR

DallasInDC

Reaction score
If they offer him GM and autonomy over player personnel, why wouldn't he leave? Managing a roster without Jerry and Stephen Jones looking over your shoulder, having a draft war room that didn't double as a Jones family reunion....hard to imagine McClay won't bolt if they make him a great offer.
I believe he has a level of job security with JJ that he won't have with other teams. JJshows a sense of loyalty that expands beyond W/L record...the skins or Panthers will not be as tolerant if the teams aren't turned around in 4 years.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I believe he has a level of job security with JJ that he won't have with other teams. JJshows a sense of loyalty that expands beyond W/L record...the skins or Panthers will not be as tolerant if the teams aren't turned around in 4 years.
You never can tell what's in McClay's mind, but if he wants to captain his own ship, none of those things matter. Most fans are looking at this from a fan's perspective, rather than that of a high achiever's. A cushy job in a corner office and a fat paycheck aren't what motivates them. Same reason some executives in other industries walk away from comfortable jobs to start their own companies.

If McClay is who I think he is, he'll either take this job, or he'll turn it down for reasons different than fans above think. He'll turn it down because he doesn't believe the Washington organization is right for him, not out of loyalty or comfort in Dallas. I can't imagine a guy like him with options would go to Charlotte, they're a trainwreck. A guy who's been busting his tail in pro football for over 30 years wants to continue to ascend, and the top of the profession is to be a GM, not a fake one sitting under Jerry's nose. Whether it's now with Washington or somewhere else in the next few years, McClay's relationship with the Jones family will come to a head and they'll have to acquiesce, or he'll be gone (provided he continues to be successful in the meantime).

DallasInDC

Reaction score
You never can tell what's in McClay's mind, but if he wants to captain his own ship, none of those things matter. Most fans are looking at this from a fan's perspective, rather than that of a high achiever's. A cushy job in a corner office and a fat paycheck aren't what motivates them. Same reason some executives in other industries walk away from comfortable jobs to start their own companies.

If McClay is who I think he is, he'll either take this job, or he'll turn it down for reasons different than fans above think. He'll turn it down because he doesn't believe the Washington organization is right for him, not out of loyalty or comfort in Dallas. I can't imagine a guy like him with options would go to Charlotte, they're a trainwreck. A guy who's been busting his tail in pro football for over 30 years wants to continue to ascend, and the top of the profession is to be a GM, not a fake one sitting under Jerry's nose. Whether it's now with Washington or somewhere else in the next few years, McClay's relationship with the Jones family will come to a head and they'll have to acquiesce, or he'll be gone (provided he continues to be successful in the meantime).
He has already said that he is not motivated by title and that he had a special relationship with the Jones family...of course he could have just said that knowing he wasn't ready to move on from the Cowboys