Twitter: Washington has also requested permission to speak to Will McClay

rambo2

Reaction score
CRAP!

Please please please do not let another franchise poach away the main, sane, logical front office stability from Dallas.
I believe that he isn't going anywhere and Jerry will match any offer that he gets. Will loves it in Dallas and it is home for his family.

CWR

Reaction score
I do not know what his reasoning would be. Perhaps the opportunity for a proper title and recognition for what he can do and has done..? It is a mystery.
Exactly, it's title only. I don't believe WM would go somewhere else and completely abandon what has brought him success. At worst he's a strong voice in a consensus, at best he calls every shot. Since his success has been doing it the Cowboys way I doubt he's looking for more of a voice. He'd simply go to Washington to do what he's already doing in Dallas.

I mean, if I'm him I'm still wanting input from my coaches and staff etc. I believe that's how they do it in Dallas with the final word going through the Jones boys. I dont believe Jerry often goes against McClay.

lkelly

Reaction score
So if we lose McClay and Harris, we can get 2 - 3rd round pick in the next 3 drafts.....that could be something to think about...6 - 3rd round pick extra in 3 years. That is some trading ammo right there as well.
Only if Harris was hired as a head coach. I think the odds of that happening are pretty low. If he were to get a promotion in Dallas to DC and succeed, the odds go way up. That's how all of this is supposed to work from a incentivization standpoint.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
....WM, is Dallas loyalty. Dude is a king around DC headquarters.

Who would give that up?
There is literally 0 chance Will McClay leaves Dallas. At this point, he is as much the franchise as Dak, Ceedee, Micah are.

I have a feeling he will be a Cowboys lifer. If he gets himself a Lombardi or two, he will be one of the greatest front office minds of a generation.

That would not be happening in Washington. I think people forget just how unique the Dallas environment is for the staff. It seems like a way better gig than most other teams.

Verdict

Reaction score
If they offer him GM and autonomy over player personnel, why wouldn't he leave? Managing a roster without Jerry and Stephen Jones looking over your shoulder, having a draft war room that didn't double as a Jones family reunion....hard to imagine McClay won't bolt if they make him a great offer.
McClay has significant job security here. He would really have to screw the pooch for a long time to get fired here. He could get fired at his next gig in 1-3 years and be out in the cold.

Also believe it or not, some people put down roots. He would have to uproot his family to go to a new place.

Quality of life in Dallas vs a place like DC? Obviously it depends on your taste but for me that would be Dallas hands down.

McClay has an awesome gig here. IMHO it would take a lot to pry him loose. He also seems to have a lot of loyalty to the Jones family. He is in their inner circle. Why would he give that up?

Verdict

Reaction score
There is literally 0 chance Will McClay leaves Dallas. At this point, he is as much the franchise as Dak, Ceedee, Micah are.

I have a feeling he will be a Cowboys lifer. If he gets himself a Lombardi or two, he will be one of the greatest front office minds of a generation.

That would not be happening in Washington. I think people forget just how unique the Dallas environment is for the staff. It seems like a way better gig than most other teams.
For all the negatives posed by Jerry and family this is one area he has an advantage on other franchises. All the coaches get a certain treatment in Dallas that they won’t find anywhere else.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If they offer him GM and autonomy over player personnel, why wouldn't he leave? Managing a roster without Jerry and Stephen Jones looking over your shoulder, having a draft war room that didn't double as a Jones family reunion....hard to imagine McClay won't bolt if they make him a great offer.
He might prefer his position as is, where the owner is looking over his shoulder, taking credit for good acquisitions, as well as blame for bad decisions.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
McClay isn’t perfect but it beats the crap out of when Jerry and his drinking buddies made the draft board.

Hey…we had our window with these guys. This is how things work.

It won’t be about money. If Quinn leaves it’s about him getting a second shot. If McClay leaves it’s about being tired of his Milli Vanilli role and Jerry’s ego not giving him the title even though everyone pretty much knows it ain’t Jerry who is running the day to day.

LOL, that first part has me on the floor.

JayFord

Reaction score
NO

DONT ANSWER IT!!!! Will is a beast when it comes to bringing talent and finding talent

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe that he isn't going anywhere and Jerry will match any offer that he gets. Will loves it in Dallas and it is home for his family.
Your opinion is shared by others.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly, it's title only. I don't believe WM would go somewhere else and completely abandon what has brought him success. At worst he's a strong voice in a consensus, at best he calls every shot. Since his success has been doing it the Cowboys way I doubt he's looking for more of a voice. He'd simply go to Washington to do what he's already doing in Dallas.

I mean, if I'm him I'm still wanting input from my coaches and staff etc. I believe that's how they do it in Dallas with the final word going through the Jones boys. I dont believe Jerry often goes against McClay.
Understood. McClay may not leave. It is his choice. However, he is not constrained to Dallas if he has an ambition to do more and be recognized for doing such, just like any other person with ambition. I hope he stay as well.

Reactions: CWR

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Serious question.

If Will were to leave and take a GM position would we get draft compensation like 49ers got for losing 3 minority coaches to promotions? Or is that just reserved for coaches?
I've asked local beat reporters, heard nothing, it's probably because they don't even know that rule exists