Twitter: Washington has also requested permission to speak to Will McClay

rambo2

Reaction score
It's a fact, whether you like the nicknames or not.

Who sits in the center chair on draft day? Who says he made the Trey Lance trade in 5 minutes?

Jones doubled down on those comments on Tuesday, declaring he has the authority to formulate and approve trades without anyone else's approval, given he is the Cowboys owner and general manager.

"I didn't have to send it around," Jones said on 105.3FM The Fan in Dallas,"I can make that trade in 5 minutes."
Who is responsible for making the team so good?

offlimits

Reaction score
Jerry pays well and DFW is such a wonderful place to live. You can almost golf year-round. Generally, mild weather. Tons of things to do, great restaurants, lakes, mountains, beautiful women, and NO state income tax. No wonder why so many former NFL players choose to live here after they retire.

Mr_437

Reaction score
McClay has roots in Dallas, and word is he values that, plus he's always stated how much he enjoys being the guy for the Cowboys.

plymkr

Reaction score
If we lose WM we’re going back to the dark ages of 5-11 and 8-8. I’d rather lose both coaches than WM.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Some of the comments here are head-shaking,laughable. WM is paid like a GM,respected as such around the league,the ownership of Tepper and Harris and their two train wreck franchises is a world apart from what the Jones' have built in DFW. Carolina and Washington have no established QB or pass rush or OL, they are both rebuilds with new owners.Its crazy to think WM could find anything attractive about uprooting the family to try to rebuild a franchise with an unstable billionaire owner who just got fined by the NFL or a new Billionaire owner who just brought in an NBA exec who WM would have to compete with for the owners ear. Houston,The Texans, his original home would be a threat but they are thrilled with their new front office team and aren't looking.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If they offer him GM and autonomy over player personnel, why wouldn't he leave? Managing a roster without Jerry and Stephen Jones looking over your shoulder, having a draft war room that didn't double as a Jones family reunion....hard to imagine McClay won't bolt if they make him a great offer.
McClay can stay on the big stage in Dallas for the next thousand years if he wants. Stephen will make him GM when Jerry passes. Pretty damn big bird in the hand when a job with a new owner could be done in a couple of years.

stiletto

Reaction score
Some of the comments here are head-shaking,laughable. WM is paid like a GM,respected as such around the league,the ownership of Tepper and Harris and their two train wreck franchises is a world apart from what the Jones' have built in DFW. Carolina and Washington have no established QB or pass rush or OL, they are both rebuilds with new owners.Its crazy to think WM could find anything attractive about uprooting the family to try to rebuild a franchise with an unstable billionaire owner who just got fined by the NFL or a new Billionaire owner who just brought in an NBA exec who WM would have to compete with for the owners ear. Houston,The Texans, his original home would be a threat but they are thrilled with their new front office team and aren't looking.
Kind of a Homer take really. "Our owner and team is better than theirs, so he will stay". Blah blah blah

Like I said, he probably WON'T leave but McClay is not part owner of the Cowboys either. A new GM is usually hired to build or reconstruct a team (John Lynch). If McClay wants a REAL GM job and the challenge that comes with it, then he will consider a position upgrade where he absolutely is the man.

He has a right to do it, we'll see...if he interviews then you know he's open minded about it and not as loyal as you'd wish.

Blackrain

Reaction score

Pretty simple to me Jerry gets your checkbook out and just pay everybody better so they stay with us there's no salary cap on how much you can pay coaches or scouts or any of those other people just pay them and keep them if they're doing a good job

conner01

Reaction score
He is not treated that way within the front office's hierarchy.
He actually is. He’s the guy everyone listens to. He doesn’t have the title of GM but he has the responsibility and recognition from inside the building

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
McClay must love the off-season. Get intrest in GM position, get yet another raise from Jerry to stay. It's the perfect setup. He clearly doesn't care about the title.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don’t think he cares about a title and Jerry will just up his pay.

All these places can offer is a title.

Who wouldnt want to play maestro of the Dallas freaking Cowboys?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Here’s a thought, maybe the Jones boys should finally just step down and be …. Gasp….. owners???!!

These offers won’t stop unless McClay wants them to stop. He can get a better title, more credit, and more pay by taking a GM position somewhere else.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Yes, but I'm guessing Will's pretty happy here. Otherwise, he probably would have sought out another team. Who knows? Maybe he dropped a seed in someone's ear (Get your minds out of the gutter, people!) and that's why they're asking...May e did so, but just to get more money out of JJ!
:laugh:
This is what we get for ignoring Will, and drafting Mazi and Schoon! :muttley:

Jerry slipped in that Schoon pick in panic when he saw all the TEs disappearing.

Was rumored in the room he told Will something about, “Dagnabbit, I didn’t put my life fortune on the line to be told what TE I can get in the second round…”