Twitter: Washington has also requested permission to speak to Will McClay

stiletto

Reaction score
McClay is the gm. He just doesn't have that title. He gets paid for being the gm. He is awesome at what he does. He has built this team.
Not arguing that, but he still has to have EVERYTHING approved by Little and Big Enos. There is a chance, however slight that he may want to not have to do that anymore. We'll see if he actually even interviews.

rambo2

Reaction score
Not arguing that, but he still has to have EVERYTHING approved by Little and Big Enos. There is a chance, however slight that he may want to not have to do that anymore. We'll see if he actually even interviews.
Oh, we have another name caller.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
McClay is what prevents Jerry from making so many bad decisions in the draft, it would be a huge circus otherwise.

pansophy

Reaction score
Will does not care about a GM title. He loves it here and the area. It would have to be some really great $$$ for him to leave.
Will is not going anywhere. Jerry would match any offer besides he's already GM. He doesn't have to answer to anyone but Jerry who's the owner.
I think this is the point. Jerry makes the final call on roster moves. Maybe Will wants that. That would be the reason to leave.

on the other hand he gets stability here this way because he isn’t going to get fired every 3 or 4 years if things don’t work out.

stiletto

Reaction score
I think this is the point. Jerry makes the final call on roster moves. Maybe Will wants that. That would be the reason to leave.

on the other hand he gets stability here this way because he isn’t going to get fired every 3 or 4 years if things don’t work out.
No one likes to stay in a stagnant position forever or at least they shouldn't. A lot of government workers (very secure jobs) do just as you describe because they are afraid to make a change. It's kind of sad in a way, life's about the risks you don't take IMO. Some definitely disagree. I can see McClay giving it a shot if he gets total control. It has to be tempting.

rambo2

Reaction score
McClay is what prevents Jerry from making so many bad decisions in the draft, it would be a huge circus otherwise.
McClay will remain in Dallas for a long time. Jerry won't be making the decisions, he will sign off on them.

pansophy

Reaction score
No one likes to stay in a stagnant position forever or at least they shouldn't. A lot of government workers (very secure jobs) do just as you describe because they are afraid to make a change. It's kind of sad in a way, life's about the risks you don't take IMO. Some definitely disagree. I can see McClay giving it a shot if he gets total control. It has to be tempting.
Yeah that would be the only reason I can see unless he secretly hates working with Jerry. He has been here a very long time though and has had promotions along the way. I kind of feel like if he was going to leave he would have done it.

rambo2

Reaction score
If they offer him GM and autonomy over player personnel, why wouldn't he leave? Managing a roster without Jerry and Stephen Jones looking over your shoulder, having a draft war room that didn't double as a Jones family reunion....hard to imagine McClay won't bolt if they make him a great offer.
He won't leave because he likes Dallas, likes Jerry and the Jones family, wants to keep his son in Dallas. He has a great job that he loves and the Cowboys are family to him.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
No way in hell he leaves Dallas with his son on the Cowboys roster.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Oh, we have another name caller.

It's a fact, whether you like the nicknames or not.

Who sits in the center chair on draft day? Who says he made the Trey Lance trade in 5 minutes?

Jones doubled down on those comments on Tuesday, declaring he has the authority to formulate and approve trades without anyone else's approval, given he is the Cowboys owner and general manager.

"I didn't have to send it around," Jones said on 105.3FM The Fan in Dallas,"I can make that trade in 5 minutes."

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That is the thing. Does Jerry make the final call. Or does he just goes along with the majority on the decision.

I think it is a fan and media thing to say he does, so they can bag on him. Now he makes it easy to do that, by allowing it to go one and not to clarify that. Maybe they want it that way, so he takes the heat. Because he can care less.

Again it is more of a fan thing.

pansophy

Reaction score
That is the thing. Does Jerry make the final call. Or does he just goes along with the majority on the decision.

I think it is a fan and media thing to say he does, so they can bag on him. Now he makes it easy to do that, by allowing it to go one and not to clarify that. Maybe they want it that way, so he takes the heat. Because he can care less.

The years when we were on hard knocks I think revealed that Jerry actually does quite a lot of listening and I think if he doesn't have strong feelings about something he does what others want. But I do think the stories about him wanting Ware over Spears are true, and if he falls in love with a guy I think it's hard to stop him.

We have been saved quite a few times by big-time busts getting picked up before Jerry had a chance to grab him. Paxton Lynch comes to mind. Thankfully Stephen beat some sense into him about Johnny Manzel.

stiletto

Reaction score
It's a fact, whether you like the nicknames or not.

Who sits in the center chair on draft day? Who says he made the Trey Lance trade in 5 minutes?

Jones doubled down on those comments on Tuesday, declaring he has the authority to formulate and approve trades without anyone else's approval, given he is the Cowboys owner and general manager.

"I didn't have to send it around," Jones said on 105.3FM The Fan in Dallas,"I can make that trade in 5 minutes."
Angry and takes it personally because we give Jethro a nickname. Hilarious. There's no doubt that someone could only take so much of ultimately telling Jerry and his nepo-baby what to do.

1942willys

Reaction score

and of course only you know the truth

Total garbage
As has been seen again and again Will McClay is NOT the GM; does not have the final say in a number of things as Jerry has made clear again and again despite what your fantasy world claims

a guy wanting to make it to the top of his profession wants the chance to show he can do it all by himself
Frankly you insult him by claiming he will always be happy to be #2

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and of course only you know the truth

Total garbage
As has been seen again and again Will McClay is NOT the GM; does not have the final say in a number of things as Jerry has made clear again and again despite what your fantasy world claims

a guy wanting to make it to the top of his profession wants the chance to show he can do it all by himself
Frankly you insult him by claiming he will always be happy to be #2
And look who is saying they know the truth. Total Garbage.
Prove he is insulted. If I am not correct, why does he turn down other offers every year.

Or do you just want to come at me with everything I post, as it sure seems that way.