Washington may change their name again

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it all depends on who holds the trademark, right? If it's someone like me, you offer me a million bucks, i'll take it. I'm not rich, but I'm in the top 10-15% in net worth going by the statistics. I'm not going to turn down a million dollar offer. I don't think the cost would be astronomical unless the owner is already wealthy.
Cost is always dependent upon the value of the product. A franchise nickname is not simply that. It is marketing. It is merchandising. It is public relations.

Take those variables and include the consideration that the prospective buyer is a multi-billion dollar company operating within an even greater multi-billion dollar industry. A million dollars would be an absolute steal.

Could the name sell that low? Certainly. Could a bid be negotiated for $20 to $50 million minimum? As a one-time purchase? I do not see why that would not be absolutely doable. The Washington franchise would quickly recoup that investment in short order.

Flamma

Reaction score
Cost is always dependent upon the value of the product. A franchise nickname is not simply that. It is marketing. It is merchandising. It is public relations.

Take those variables and include the consideration that the prospective buyer is a multi-billion dollar company operating within an even greater multi-billion dollar industry. A million dollars would be an absolute steal.

Could the name sell that low? Certainly. Could a bid be negotiated for $20 to $50 million minimum? As a one-time purchase? I do not see why that would not be absolutely doable. The Washington franchise would quickly recoup that investment in short order.
I don't disagree with you. But like I said before, if it's me, I take the million over nothing. IT all depends on the person that holds the rights.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think it all depends on who holds the trademark, right? If it's someone like me, you offer me a million bucks, i'll take it. I'm not rich, but I'm in the top 10-15% in net worth going by the statistics. I'm not going to turn down a million dollar offer. I don't think the cost would be astronomical unless the owner is already wealthy.
That makes sense.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

This makes sense too. :)

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I don't disagree with you. But like I said before, if it's me, I take the million over nothing. IT all depends on the person that holds the rights.
You are not a greedy man. I think $10 million would be my bottom price. :)

Flamma

Reaction score
You are not a greedy man. I think $10 million would be my bottom price. :)
LOL, I'm a lot of things, but you're right, I'm not a greedy man. My fear would be to walk away with nothing. But everyone has their bottom price.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
If you read the article posted, the dude who owns the trademark has been camping on it for years. That is not a guy that will be bought by $1M. He apparently has a whole collection of Washington-related trademarks

Taking it a step further, Mr. McCaulay bought and sold his own customized merchandise featuring his own trademarks, such as T-shirts for the “Washington Redtailed Hawks.” He even has two websites related to football, though one is as bare-bones as listing a few basic rules of football, including this sentence: “The team with the most points at the end of the game wins.”

He clearly has no intention to use the trademark in any fashion other than to cut a deal to sell it, and I don't expect $1M is going to cut it. Who knows how much it might be, but I doubt the new ownership is all that interested in being hamstrung by an obvious ruse.

Flamma

Reaction score
If you read the article posted, the dude who owns the trademark has been camping on it for years. That is not a guy that will be bought by $1M. He apparently has a whole collection of Washington-related trademarks

He clearly has no intention to use the trademark in any fashion other than to cut a deal to sell it, and I don't expect $1M is going to cut it. Who knows how much it might be, but I doubt the new ownership is all that interested in being hamstrung by an obvious ruse.
What good is sitting on something if you're never going to make a penny? Isn't the idea to make money? It doesn't have to be 1 million. Maybe 5 million? Or anywhere in between. Getting nothing and watching them pick another awful name isn't doing him any good.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
If they want to regalvanize their fanbase and make money, then choose something related to hogs/pigs etc.

Anything to do with DC, Government, Military rank/title is not going to go over with that fanbase at all.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
They should use the original name, but that isnt pc so they wont even try to do that.
Changing the name again is kinda silly, no name is going to be good, and it probably will be worse.

Just hope that the PC crowd doesnt decide that the cowboys name is gender discriminate, therefore they have to change it to the cowpersons.

I have accepted the commanders, and dont really want to deal with another change.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
They should use the original name, but that isnt pc so they wont even try to do that.
Changing the name again is kinda silly, no name is going to be good, and it probably will be worse.

Just hope that the PC crowd doesnt decide that the cowboys name is gender discriminate, therefore they have to change it to the cowpersons.

I have accepted the commanders, and dont really want to deal with another change.
The Dallas Cows. lol

Flamma

Reaction score
If they do go to the Hogs, what will be their helmet design, pigtails?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they do go to the Hogs, what will be their helmet design, pigtails?
This would get my vote:

41Ck38Rn1vL.jpg

It would be perfect. Muppet and Hogs. A match made in a pig sty Heaven.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Please tell me you understand the difference in offense between the former name of the Washington team and the Cowboys.

khiladi

Reaction score
change it back to what it has always been. Let the one percenter have a hissy. sheesh, I guess these idiots didn't get a good hickory when they were growing up.
It was all a distraction anyways, when the sexual harassment allegations were in mainstream press. I am not sure if the Gruden email issues with Bruce Allen was also happening then or around that time, but the organization was a mess as far as PR was concerned. They were never changing the name despite the overblown “pressure”, until the sexual harassment allegations happened.