Washington surprise: AP released

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Washington released RB Adrian Peterson.
The move comes as somewhat of a surprise, as Peterson had been the favorite to open the season as Washington’s early-down starter. But the move saves the team close to $2.5 million against the cap. With A.D. out of the picture, for now at least, it looks like Washington could roll with possibly Peyton Barber or Bryce Love on early downs and Antonio Gibson and J.D. McKissic in playmaking situations. We wouldn’t suggest Barber or Love being safe roster locks right now, though, either, and Peterson could be re-signed after Week 1 when his salary isn’t guaranteed.

Guess they are going to go in with Jax for the QB Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes tank.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Washington released RB Adrian Peterson.

The move comes as somewhat of a surprise, as Peterson had been the favorite to open the season as Washington’s early-down starter. But the move saves the team close to $2.5 million against the cap. With A.D. out of the picture, for now at least, it looks like Washington could roll with possibly Peyton Barber or Bryce Love on early downs and Antonio Gibson and J.D. McKissic in playmaking situations. We wouldn’t suggest Barber or Love being safe roster locks right now, though, either, and Peterson could be re-signed after Week 1 when his salary isn’t guaranteed.

Guess they are going to go in with Jax for the QB Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes tank.
No you build with youth not aging vets and with Haskins and a young offense, they will play defense and try to keep the score low..might as well learn and lose while young players get experience..they are in full rebuild mode and have no name lol

Im surprised Ap and Gore are still playing , i mean according to a small group of CZers RB are a dime a dozen and with snaps they all are great,,why are any aged out vets playing.. plus i want to protect 22s record..please no one allow gore or Ap to ever play a meaningful snap again.. time to retire

cern

Reaction score
some boxers fight on way past their primes and get injured in the end. ali was one such fighter. the beauty of football is that it makes the decision for you. time for ap to walk away and wait for the hof.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Mildly surprised. Surprising that Washington think they can do without him right now, not surprised from the viewpoint that he is clearly not any teams future.

Jipper

Reaction score
Wow, I am surprised. Hope he retires. So he don't get anymore of his talk about breaking Emmitt's record.
Not that I think he has a chance, just tired of the talk. Now need Gore to retire as well.

I wish he would keep playing, not break it and then everyone will see how impossible it will be to break!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
some boxers fight on way past their primes and get injured in the end. ali was one such fighter. the beauty of football is that it makes the decision for you. time for ap to walk away and wait for the hof.
It didn't though. He showed last year that he can still play in this league. I don't know if he had a bad camp but it also wouldn't shock me if its about a youth movement. They are a young team.

Just interesting that they don't have much at running back unless they like their 2 backs and it was a battle between Bryce Love and AP then it makes sense to let AP go.

Flamma

Reaction score
One is 4000 away at 36, and the other 3000 away and a year older. I doubt either are making it unless they play at 40 years old.

As amazing as AP was in his career, he's still came 4000 yards short of Emmitt at around the same time Smith retired. I think Smith retired at 35 or 36, I forget.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I always looked at AP as a Texas kid so I wouldn't be upset if he breaks Emmitt's record. I don't think its in jeopardy though.
how ? He was a hated rival of my TX Longhorns so he was a sooner worst there is for not being a Texas boy , never played for us , so a Texas boy>?? maybe a southern boy but he did beat his kid as well lets not forget that..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
how ? He was a hated rival of my TX Longhorns so he was a sooner worst there is for not being a Texas boy , never played for us , so a Texas boy>?? maybe a southern boy but he did beat his kid as well lets not forget that..
He went to OU for education. He's a Texan. I've been seeing his dad around here since he was a Minnesota Viking. AD is from Palestine. Just how I viewed him. Same as Ladianian Tomlinson.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
One is 4000 away at 36, and the other 3000 away and a year older. I doubt either are making it unless they play at 40 years old.

As amazing as AP was in his career, he's still came 4000 yards short of Emmitt at around the same time Smith retired. I think Smith retired at 35 or 36, I forget.

If AP played for better teams he probably would've had a legit shot. Vikings ran him into the ground....I'm shocked he's still even able to play at a high level at this age.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
His days as a starter is over. Some teams may bring him as a CV19 temp replacement. His talk of breaking Emmitt record was a pipe dream.

cern

Reaction score
It didn't though. He showed last year that he can still play in this league. I don't know if he had a bad camp but it also wouldn't shock me if its about a youth movement. They are a young team.

Just interesting that they don't have much at running back unless they like their 2 backs and it was a battle between Bryce Love and AP then it makes sense to let AP go.
probably a youth movement. just like when parcells came to dallas and made it clear that even emmitt, for all he had accomplished, wasn't the future. he was the past.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He went to OU for education. He's a Texan. I've been seeing his dad around here since he was a Minnesota Viking. AD is from Palestine. Just how I viewed him. Same as Ladianian Tomlinson.
wrong he may have been a HS player here but still never played serious ball on Texas team..

LT was a Star at TCU ie a FW TX local kid he gets credit for being Texas boy because of that.. AP played at a rival sooner school, played for MN and hated rival Washington. Hes been a rival far too long..see i can forgive OU players once they are Cowboys ie Lamb, Switzer and others..remember cassiias, i learn to forgive but AP was sooner, Skin etc i cant forgive that..

heck no brah, hes not in my book of TX notables not even close..

fivetwos

Reaction score
Seems like an eternity ago when him to Dallas was a done deal, and he was going to break all kinds of records behind our OL.

I cant recall but I think Min was looking for a first for him, then ended up cutting him less than a year later.