Washington surprise: AP released

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
One is 4000 away at 36, and the other 3000 away and a year older. I doubt either are making it unless they play at 40 years old.

As amazing as AP was in his career, he's still came 4000 yards short of Emmitt at around the same time Smith retired. I think Smith retired at 35 or 36, I forget.

He'd be in shouting distance had he not lost 2-3 seasons of games to injuries.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
probably a youth movement. just like when parcells came to dallas and made it clear that even emmitt, for all he had accomplished, wasn't the future. he was the past.
Gibson's emergence during training camp played a role in Washington's decision to release Adrian Peterson on Friday.
Peyton Barber could also get carries, and the team still has J.D. McKissic for passing downs, but Gibson is the one with three-down potential, even if it doesn't materialize right away.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is true.......not sure if you remember, but Emmitt talked and cared about one thing his last couple years as a Cowboy, breaking Walter Payton record. I think that turned Parcell off a bit coz even Emmitt will tell ya, his relationship was a good one. Thye respected each other but that was about it.
Man that era is a blur to me so did Emmitt want to come back? Sort of thought after the "diamond surrounded by trash" comment that he was sort of over this.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
how ? He was a hated rival of my TX Longhorns so he was a sooner worst there is for not being a Texas boy , never played for us , so a Texas boy>?? maybe a southern boy but he did beat his kid as well lets not forget that..
He is from Texas. Born and raised through High School. Of course Texans don't like that he played for OU, but he is still a Texan. Same for Drew Brees. A person doesn't lose his status as a Texan because he plays college football outside of Texas.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
OU?
For education?

he went because OU and Stoops were beating UT at the time.....so he said they were winners and could win a national title. He said UT wasn't and couldn't.

Then during the time he was at OU, Texas DID win a National Title while OU didnt.
:laugh:
I'm saying OU is his alma mater. That doesn't take away from him being a Texas kid. I just come from a different era....what school I went to doesn't define me so I don't let it define a player especially if he spent his whole life in Texas and spent 3 or 4 years there.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He is from Texas. Born and raised through High School. Of course Texans don't like that he played for OU, but he is still a Texan. Same for Drew Brees. A person doesn't lose his status as a Texan because he plays college football outside of Texas.
Right? He went to school for 3 or 4 years but that erased his whole life in Texas prior to then?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Neither Gore or AD are catching Emmitt. They’re situational players. Not like they’re getting 300 carries at this point. You have to look to the new era. Elliott, Saquon etc. I just don’t see it happening with the RB useage in today’s NFL.
AP was getting enough carries that he could've potentially got there if he kept playing. But I don't know of too many teams that would give AP that many carries other than Washington.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Jags will pick him up, he'll get his carries

Will he? What are his carries? I get the impression he would want to get at least 15 attempts per game and I don't see him getting that no matter where he ends up this season. I could see him in the 5 to 10 carries per game.

Flamma

Reaction score
He'd be in shouting distance had he not lost 2-3 seasons of games to injuries.

Agreed. He played like 4 games in 2 seasons. But Emmitt was in shouting distance of Walter at the age of 32. Which I find amazing.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Man that era is a blur to me so did Emmitt want to come back? Sort of thought after the "diamond surrounded by trash" comment that he was sort of over this.

Emmitt last couple years all about him. He kinda went from being a team player as a triplet to a selfish icon/legend who only cared about how he was ending his career. Remember reading an article by one the beat writer a couple of years after Parcell left and according to him, he couldn't get Emmitt out the building fast enough. But he was stuck with Emmitt at least until the record was broken. Hell, to show how obsessed Emmitt was, he started talking about not only breaking the Payton record but putting it so far out of reach that no other RB will touch it. The whole attitude kinda turned off a lot of fans/media/others. In fact, I think it's one the reasons even today, he's hardly mentioned as a top 3 greatest RB even though he has the record.

Big_D

Reaction score
AP was getting enough carries that he could've potentially got there if he kept playing. But I don't know of too many teams that would give AP that many carries other than Washington.

Washington was his best shot at a significant number of carries. Don't see it happening anywhere else at this point. And even if he stayed there chances were slim.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm saying OU is his alma mater. That doesn't take away from him being a Texas kid. I just come from a different era....what school I went to doesn't define me so I don't let it define a player especially if he spent his whole life in Texas and spent 3 or 4 years there.
:thumbup:
Well put

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
AP was great in his prime. He's 35. When teams start releasing you, it's a friendly way of indicting it's time to retire.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
Emmitt last couple years all about him. He kinda went from being a team player as a triplet to a selfish icon/legend who only cared about how he was ending his career. Remember reading an article by one the beat writer a couple of years after Parcell left and according to him, he couldn't get Emmitt out the building fast enough. But he was stuck with Emmitt at least until the record was broken. Hell, to show how obsessed Emmitt was, he started talking about not only breaking the Payton record but putting it so far out of reach that no other RB will touch it. The whole attitude kinda turned off a lot of fans/media/others. In fact, I think it's one the reasons even today, he's hardly mentioned as a top 3 greatest RB even though he has the record.

Parcells wasn't coach when he broke the record, was he? And the reason he isn't talked as top 3 all time is because he is a Cowboy. And Cowboys are generally disrespected in that sense. Fact is, despite all the ifs and or buts, Emmitt ran farther than anyone else. People act like no other running back has ever had a decent o-line or team or coaching.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was always about himself and that's OK because he didn't hide that.

Emmitt's problem with Parcells was he thought it was his team and pushed that dominoes in the locker room when Parcells forbade that. And I am sure Emmitt saw that part on ESPN when Parcells was in broadcasting, he didn't think Emmitt was all that. He said he made great moves in the hole but that was about it, no GOAT talk, not even close.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Cowboys have been monitoring for veteran rbs so who knows. Just don't think he'll be happy with his role here.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parcells wasn't coach when he broke the record, was he? And the reason he isn't talked as top 3 all time is because he is a Cowboy. And Cowboys are generally disrespected in that sense. Fact is, despite all the ifs and or buts, Emmitt ran farther than anyone else. People act like no other running back has ever had a decent o-line or team or coaching.
Emmitt didn't play for Parcells. He took over in 2003, the year Emmitt went to AZ. When Emmitt broke the record, Parcells was on ESPN and wasn't effusive in his praise of him getting that record.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They also named Haskins the starter for the season. I think this is the year they have to make the call on him. Snyder is a funny duck, don't underestimate him making a play for Lawrence or Fields, he's done it before.

quickccc

Reaction score
either they saw him in camp and don't think he has anything left and want to turn to the younger legs on the roster.

Or they want to save 2.5 mil but somehow want the ancient, 35 yr old, one dimensional back to return to team after Week 1
when roster dollars are not guaranteed, ..which still doesn't speak volume for whatever younger backs they have on the roster.
Maybe they have an under radar prospect.in Bryce Love that emerges.