Washington surprise: AP released

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He's got like 4K less rushing yards than Emmitt. He'll never catch up. So if he wants to play I hope he finds a team and has a great season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Washington was his best shot at a significant number of carries. Don't see it happening anywhere else at this point. And even if he stayed there chances were slim.
Yeah that's true too because that was really the old staff who was probably tanking that did that. Seems like this year they were going with a running back by committee approach anyway.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They also named Haskins the starter for the season. I think this is the year they have to make the call on him. Snyder is a funny duck, don't underestimate him making a play for Lawrence or Fields, he's done it before.
I have a hard time thinking any team will be worse than the Jags though. Redskisn in the NFC East can at least get a few wins in the division.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a hard time thinking any team will be worse than the Jags though. Redskisn in the NFC East can at least get a few wins in the division.
Agree but it would not surprise me for them to stay within striking distance of going for one of those two QB's, if they think Haskins isn't the guy.

I was disappointed at that news as I followed Alex Smith's story from that injury and was pulling for him. I think he's been dealt a bad hand since he got drafted first and he's never complained about it. That :60 ESPN special on his recovery was not something you'd want to watch while eating.

Lawrence and Fields are going to create more buzz than Manning-Leaf did and I hope Fields get to play.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agree but it would not surprise me for them to stay within striking distance of going for one of those two QB's, if they think Haskins isn't the guy.

I was disappointed at that news as I followed Alex Smith's story from that injury and was pulling for him. I think he's been dealt a bad hand since he got drafted first and he's never complained about it. That :60 ESPN special on his recovery was not something you'd want to watch while eating.

Lawrence and Fields are going to create more buzz than Manning-Leaf did and I hope Fields get to play.

I'm the opposite on Alex Smith. I just don't think he's a franchise quarterback but he's been one at least twice and the Commanders paid him like one. He's had a far better career than he should've IMO.

And yeah if things go terribly bad they could be in striking distance. I actually expect the Commanders to be at least 8-8 this year. I just expect that defense to not only be the best in the NFC East but one of the best in the league. But cutting Guice and AP....I did not see that at all.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Parcells wasn't coach when he broke the record, was he? And the reason he isn't talked as top 3 all time is because he is a Cowboy. And Cowboys are generally disrespected in that sense. Fact is, despite all the ifs and or buts, Emmitt ran farther than anyone else. People act like no other running back has ever had a decent o-line or team or coaching.

Correct. Dave Campo was the coach when Emmitt broke the record.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I was disappointed at that news as I followed Alex Smith's story from that injury and was pulling for him. I think he's been dealt a bad hand since he got drafted first and he's never complained about it.
I'm the opposite on Alex Smith. I just don't think he's a franchise quarterback but he's been one at least twice and the Commanders paid him like one. He's had a far better career than he should've IMO
Yeah I don't think Smith was robbed of anything. Dude has made almost 200 million dollars, been elected to 4 pro bowls, and had talented rosters on both of the previous franchises he played for (he had a strech where 7 out of 8 of his seasons post rookie deal was him playing on double digit win teams).

I don't think Smith is better than someone like Stafford yet Smith has way more playoff apperances and more accolades (i'm not buying the whole "he got a bad hand" narrative)

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Had AP not blown out his knee, he’d be closer to striking distance.

Don’t see how him or Gore eek out many more yards as they need starter roles with 20 touches a game.

Big_D

Reaction score
Yeah that's true too because that was really the old staff who was probably tanking that did that. Seems like this year they were going with a running back by committee approach anyway.

plus Peterson needs 4000 and Gore needs 3000. They need to be a lead back to reach those numbers. And at 35 and 37 that ship definitely sailed.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If AP played for better teams he probably would've had a legit shot. Vikings ran him into the ground....I'm shocked he's still even able to play at a high level at this age.
And considering the injury he had and came back from in like half the time most guys could have...and at nearly as strong as before.

The guy's a freak of nature.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And considering the injury he had and came back from in like half the time most guys could have...and at nearly as strong as before.

The guy's a freak of nature.

He is man......that's probably the highlight of his career was how quick he came back from injury and looking like he did.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He is from Texas. Born and raised through High School. Of course Texans don't like that he played for OU, but he is still a Texan. Same for Drew Brees. A person doesn't lose his status as a Texan because he plays college football outside of Texas.
I said WHY gave more reasons for AP he not only played for a Longhorn rival he played for the skins..thats enough for me to wipe his texan status clean..HS dont mean squat college and Pros is where you identify with someone..

i can accept brees a bit but ap was an enemy for me far too long..he out!!

JayFord

Reaction score
They have confidence in mckissic, love and brown because Ron already stated he was going to play the young guys

this team will be a tough 5-11 team maybe 4-12 with alot of close losses due to just being young

Ill be shocked if they arent an 8-10 win team come 2022

lkelly

Reaction score
If he'd played for Dallas as long as Emmitt did, he'd have that record. If Sanders gave a damn, he'd have that record.

No doubt Emmitt was a great RB, a top 10 of all time, but when first contact is beyond your own los as much as he got, you get longevity and lots of yards. That's not taking anything away form him but there are quite a few RB's that would have that record given the opportunity and OL and O he had.

I have only seen one back in my years of watching this game that had the kind of connection with his OL that Emmitt had with his, OJ Simpson in BUF. And that is a talent as well as that doesn't come easily.

OJ really killed it in retirement, too!

Too soon?

lkelly

Reaction score
The guy has a lot of heart. But he's chasing Emmitt right now. That's why I think he still plays.
He's still trying to play because he blew through all his money by funding such sensible stuff as renting an elephant to ride in on at his birthday party.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I said WHY gave more reasons for AP he not only played for a Longhorn rival he played for the skins..thats enough for me to wipe his texan status clean..HS dont mean squat college and Pros is where you identify with someone..

i can accept brees a bit but ap was an enemy for me far too long..he out!!

So, he was born in Texas, spent 18 years in Texas before college, then 3 years in Oklahoma, and after college made his permanent residence in Texas, and his family is in Texas…. and somehow he no longer gets to be considered a Texan? Come on ... lol

Sorry, but you holding a personal grudge does not mean he isn't a Texan. You don't have to like him, hell, I don't particularly like him either, but he is from Texas.

I get the desire for quality Texas high school players to play at a Texas school (and yes, it could be ANY Texas school, not just UT), but nobody loses their "Texan card" because a football fan feels a football player should have chosen a Texas School.

By the way, being a Texan isn't all about being a Texas Longhorn or a Longhorn supporter. Hell, not even all Longhorn players are Texans. UT recruits from all over, including Oklahoma.

The Commander argument is ridiculous. He isn't a kid playing recreational football, he is an adult earning a living. If Washington gave him the opportunity with a good contract, and the Cowboys did not, it's ridiculous to hold that against him. That doesn't mean you have to like him - he is a Commander, so I get that - but he's still a Texan. Texans work all over the country and even the world.

By the way, some of the top players in Commander history were from Texas. Darrell Green, Dexter Manley, Sammy Baugh (who could out "Texan" anyone), Charley Taylor, Ken Houston, Mark Moseley …). And some of them played college ball out of state too. And, my guess is, some would probably consider it fighting words to say they aren't Texans.

Last edited: