Washington's Rookies > Yours

menace

Reaction score
I'm a Commander fan and all. But I seriously don't think that we had a great draft or anything like that. Below average...at best. However, we went into the draft with not very many holes to fill. All we needed was depth. I think Rocky adds somr depth and competition at the LB position. I'm not being a homer by saying the skins had an excellent draft, because everybody knows that we didn't. But we filled most of our holes during free agency and went into the draft not needing much.

method man

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Actually, you guys had arguably the worst draft in the league this year...

Only problem is, the Skins traded up for him, giving up a 2nd rounder next year, when nobody else out there had him going before the Skins' original 2nd round pick, the 53rd overall...

Then there's his negatives, best summed up by this blurb from NFL Draft Countdown:

Most telling of all, I think, are the injuries... on pure talent alone, McIntosh looks like the kind of linebacker that Gregg Williams is partial to, and I wouldn't be surprised if the coach gets the maximum out of Rocky's potential... it also wouldn't surprise me if Rocky battles the injury bug the way he did in college...

ROTFLMAO... I have seen a coupla different websites that rated Anthony Montgomery one of the biggest REACHES in this draft, even in the second round... rather than being considered a 2nd rounder with 1st round talent, as you've suggested, he was rated almost-certain NOT to be drafted...

He was rated the THIRTY THIRD best defensive tackle on the board by NFL Draft Countdown... some "2nd rounder with 1st round talent", LOL... indeed, that source says that in some NFL circles, he is being considered as a possible conversion project to OFFENSIVE tackle... generally speaking, NFL teams don't contemplate moving DTs who have 1st round talent to the offensive line...

By saying what you just said about this stiff, you've just proven that you're nothing more than an Extremeskins-style homer, who automatically puffs up players that the Skins have signed, while downgrading every other player out there...

But please, if you can offer some quotes from reputable sources claiming that Montgomery was indeed a "2nd rounder with 1st round talent", I'd be just FASCINATED to read those quotes...

Doughty was a player I really, really liked going into this draft, and hoped the Boys had on their draft radar... his only problem is he isn't real fast for a safety (4.7 second 40)...

Wow, only true SUPERSTARS impress coaches in no-pads workouts, against a plethora of undrafted rookie free agents... LOL...

Again, I offer you this critique from NFL Draft Countdown:

Another injury-prone player, and as an added bonus, another guy who gets in trouble off the field... maybe he'll become Sean Taylor's newest best buddy... :D

He's such a stud, he wasn't invited to the combine, he wasn't invited to ANY postseason all-star games... he was also rated as one of the biggest reaches in this draft by one website I saw... if the Skins hadn't drafted him, it's highly unlikely that any other team would have... his plus is that he has experience at guard, tackle and center in his college career, always an advantage for someone who would be a backup offensive lineman in the NFL... and the weird thing is, even though he doesn't seem to be real good, he's probably their best candidate to be the backup at center (if only because the Skins don't have ANYBODY else capable of playing the position worth a hammered crap)...

The Cowboys brought him in and worked him out, but he was too small to play ILB for them... he might fare better in the Skins' scheme... of course, there's a REASON why an otherwise reasonably talented linebacker fell to the 7th round, and you touched on it-- seems like Simon is ALWAYS injured... as NFL Draft Countdown put it, he has basically missed 3 full seasons in his college career due to 2 knee injuries and an ankle injury...

Then there's the problem of his mediocre to bad size and speed... I certainly don't think a 4.9 40 linebacker has the speed needed to succeed in the Skins' system... yet again, NFL Draft Countdown offers the definitive rebuttal to your witless homerism:

Yeah, he was your best UDRFA signing, by a fairly wide margin... again, though, the Skins seemed to be focusing on players who got hurt a lot in college, which is to me a curious philosophy...

To quote NFL Draft Countdown one more time:

Another with durability issues...

It's a tough name, but if the guy's gonna be a Skin, you probably ought to learn to spell it correctly (Chijioke Onyenegecha)... can't wait to see the Skins' announcers try to PRONOUNCE that name, LOL...

He's also a guy who started all of 13 games in his college career... another who gets that dreaded "underachiever" label from NFL Draft Countdown...

The same Lumsden who tried out for Seattle last summer, and got cut, then went back to the CFL... do you REALLY think ol' Jesse will be a threat to cut into Portis' playing time??

It's a telling comment that you're most excited about a guy who will likely never see any playing time for the Skins, even if Portis did get injured... in fact, I'd consider him a VERY long shot to even make the 53 man roster...

Go back and reread the critiques I've offered of the players you mentioned, and you'll be struck by how often those players have been labelled as "injury-prone", or "underachievers"... which is, of course, one big reason why many of the pundits assigning teams draft grades are ranking the Skins at the bottom of the pack...

Your draft SUCKED, plain and simple... I'd take the time and effort to contrast it to the Cowboys' (which wasn't their best one here lately, but wasn't bad either), but there's really no point, not when I've already demonstrated pretty clearly that the Skins had a thoroughly lousy draft...

Perhaps you should stop swallowin' the bovine fecal matter they're shovelin' out at Commanders Park these days, and go look those players up on some IMPARTIAL websites... that would keep you from making a total fool of yourself, woofin' about what a great draft the Skins had...

Lumsden - got cut from the Seahawks because of a pretty bad hip injury (if you know football you would know that undrafted guys virtually lose all chance of making the team if you end up on crutches)

Montgomery-look at the link above; that is a guy who has clearly done his research

Rocky - oh how convenient was it for you to forget about his 28 wonderlic score (that is the type of score quarterbacks get). you also forgot about how he had the highest vertical leap at the combine. you just seemed to forget about his athleticism. oh you fool, we got exactly what we wanted--a 3-down WLB who is very versatile.

on the other hand here are the critiques of mr. carpenter from nfl.com:

Carpenter does not play up to his natural athletic ability -- no doubt, he does not play up to his 40 time. He lacks good instincts, which causes him to be a beat late moving at the snap and reacting to the play once it gets started, and he lacks the explosive burst to make up the ground and catch up. He struggles to stay with tight ends and running backs in man-to-man coverage; he allows separation out of cuts and can't get back into good position.

(yay!!! i get to see chris cooley smoke carpenter for a couple TDs next year :))

Kevin Simon- FYI this guy was a 7th round compensatory selection. yeah, he has had his injury problems. but in the late 7th round, this guy is a steal.

Onyenegecha- Did you forget that Jerry Gray, the Bills' DC the last two years, is our secondary coach? this is the same guy who groomed winfield and clements. Onyenegecha has the measurables and I am going to admit he is a project but in a couple seasons he could become a really good player. If anything, our defensive coaching staff is best at turning underachievers into overachievers (ex. Cornelius Griffin and Joe Salavea).

Manaia Brown- He had a very nice junior season but then had to struggle through injuries through his senior year. I feel he has a good shot at a roster spot considering he has the athleticism and can play both DT and DE. our coaches love that.

method man

Reaction score
menace said:
I'm a Commander fan and all. But I seriously don't think that we had a great draft or anything like that. Below average...at best. However, we went into the draft with not very many holes to fill. All we needed was depth. I think Rocky adds somr depth and competition at the LB position. I'm not being a homer by saying the skins had an excellent draft, because everybody knows that we didn't. But we filled most of our holes during free agency and went into the draft not needing much.

honestly i made that thread title to stir the pot as i have not really talked about the cowboys draft but. i am refuting the notion around here that we had the worst draft in the league. its kinda funny how these cowboys fans like to call me a ******* when they twist my words (claiming i am calling every one of our day 2 picks studs), criticize our late late 7th round selection of a former high school all american, and leave out the entire scouting reports.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
Commanders picked up a few good undrafted players. But as for the draft itself it was brutal. I like rocky, and jesse lumsden, he was a great CIS running back as he shattered records.

:starspin

hailvictory

Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:
See, that's only four words, instead of 46. You took all that time trying to be funny but it was just dumb.

Hahaha....now thats irony at its best...i cant believe you counted all the words on his post...loser:lmao:

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
riggo said:
it seems like you know more about drafting than many NFL GM's. do

well we do have Rich Gosselin's top 100 players where he gets his info from NFL people, and only 1 of your draft picks was ranked on it

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
method man said:
you don't get it do you? when we find players like this http://www.nfldraftalmanac.com/index.php?c=2&a=634, you know that you have had a good draft despite what idiots like kiper say.

ROTFLMAO... that was one of the STUPIDEST articles I've ever read... the guy is comparing stats of assorted players, only those players aren't playing common opponents, and he makes no effort at all to factor in how efficient the running games of those opponents are... as a result, his so-called statistical analysis is nothing but garbage...

What's particularly funny is that one of the players he chose for comparison was Rod Wright... Wright was a 7th round pick, and deservedly so (this from an avid Longhorns fan)... he also eliminated Orien Harris and John McCargo for no valid reasons (he considered them "superfluous", but no explanation WHY he thought that)... Ngata and Wroten were eliminated because of "a lack of tape"... and THEN, he narrowed the comparison criteria down to three games each...

Clearly, this guy was trying to carefully select a player or two or three that would make his bogus case, and eliminating anybody who might blow his theory apart... this sort of selective analysis is worthless, and is in fact contemptibly dishonest...

Equally comical was his saying:

The problem is not Montgomery; he is merely a victim of circumstance.

The problem lies with college football media and the scouting process.

That's the equivalent of him saying that his ability to evaluate talent is superior to every personnel type in the NFL, or to put it another way "who you gonna believe, me or your lyin' eyes??"

But even HE rebuts your contention that Montgomery was a second round talent who ought to be a first rounder... he said:

So why are Gabe Watson and Rodrique Wright likely to be first day selections when Anthony Montgomery is almost universally regarded as unworthy of being drafted?

I note with interest that you totally ignored my challenge to produce ONE source that had Montgomery going that high in the draft... in fact, this putz you quoted agrees with me, that Montgomery shouldn't have been drafted...

corey chavous, who many consider the smartest NFL player,

Oh yeah, I'm CONSTANTLY reading about how Chavous is "the smartest NFL player"... :D

Makin' up stupid crap like that just to make your BS opinions APPEAR legit won't work in this forum, troll...

montgomery went totally under the radar and was going up draft boards.

Even the source you just cited doesn't agree with that... "almost universally regarded as unworthy of being drafted"... so, if you wish to try to run that garbage past us, provide us with some quotes from folks actually saying anything like that...

if u did do ur homework instead of slurping carpenter, you woulda known that Golston slipped because of some off-the-field problems.

And because he really didn't PRODUCE that much in college... and there's those durability issues...

This is a guy who only started 30 of his 44 games for the Bulldogs, and put up perfectly mediocre stats... in 44 games, he had all of 95 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks (obviously, he's not much of a pass-rush threat)... there were a number of defensive tackles out there who had more sacks and tackles for loss LAST YEAR...

This last season, he ranked 14th on his team in tackles...

Oooh, I'm all a-tremble at the thought of facing the mighty Kedric Golston...

If kiper were such an expert, then why isn't he a head scout for some NFL team now?

You act like he's the only guy who holds a low opinion of Golston, which is of course ridiculous...

Once again, there's a lot of 'tude behind your troll bait, but pitifully little in the way of SUBSTANCE... you might want to go on back over to Extremeskins and stay there, they seem to like propagandistic, homeristic nonsense of the sort you just tried to run past us... in here, we'll bring FACTS to rebut that kind of BS...

silverbear

Reaction score
method man said:
Lumsden - got cut from the Seahawks because of a pretty bad hip injury (if you know football you would know that undrafted guys virtually lose all chance of making the team if you end up on crutches)

So, you DO think that Lumsden will get the playing time that Portis usually gets??

Yeah, that'll happen... IF he makes the team, you can count on him getting fewer than 50 carries this year... he won't have much-- if any-- impact on the Skins this year...

As for his hip injury, IF the Seahawks thought he had what it takes, they would have used that injury as an excuse to stash him on IR, and get another look at him in training camp this year... instead, they chose to cut him loose...

Montgomery-look at the link above; that is a guy who has clearly done his research

I've already dealt with that, but I'll give you a quick recap of what I said:

That's a guy who threw out any number of players who might have shown how bogus his theories are... that's a guy who didn't even choose to evaluate the whole seasons for the players he DID decide to try to compare Montgomery with (including a 7th rounder in Rodrique Wright), but rather carefully selected three games for each-- including Anthony's three BEST games...

Such statistical analyses are worthless, and quite dishonest... the fact that you can't recognize that simple truth tells me that you ain't the brightest bulb in the chandelier...

Rocky - oh how convenient was it for you to forget about his 28 wonderlic score (that is the type of score quarterbacks get).

And of course, there's a direct correlation between Wonderlic scores and linebacker play in the NFL...

you also forgot about how he had the highest vertical leap at the combine.

Oh wow, he's DEFINITELY headed for Canton... he has decent (not good) intelligence, and can jump... ROTFLMAO...

Kevin Simon- FYI this guy was a 7th round compensatory selection. yeah, he has had his injury problems. but in the late 7th round, this guy is a steal.

No, he isn't... he went about where he should have...

Onyenegecha- Did you forget that Jerry Gray, the Bills' DC the last two years, is our secondary coach? this is the same guy who groomed winfield and clements.

Oh, sweet Jay-sus... Winfield and Clements were both FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICKS,
CO is an UNDRAFTED ROOKIE FREE AGENT...

IOW, Gray really didn't have to "groom" Winfield and Clements, they were already good when he got hold of him... all he had to do was teach them the system, then plug them in...

Onyenegecha has the measurables and I am going to admit he is a project but in a couple seasons he could become a really good player.

He has a less than 50-50 chance of even making the team... this is a guy who started a little over half of his games in his 2 years at Oklahoma (24 games played, 13 starts)... he has all of ONE interception in 24 games...

He also has lousy instincts, gets beat way too often, has a rep for being lazy... maybe you pop a woody thinking about him, but I had him on my draft watch list going into last season, and took him off it shortly after I got a look at him in the game against Texas...

Manaia Brown- He had a very nice junior season

Oh yeah, he was HONORABLE MENTION all-Mountain West... which means he was the fifth or sixth best DT in a perfectly mediocre conference...

He's another player with the tag of being "lazy", and worse, some scouts question his toughness...

Yeah, I want a guy who's not tough playing DT for MY team...

I feel he has a good shot at a roster spot considering he has the athleticism and can play both DT and DE. our coaches love that.

Ain't no way a guy with a 5 second 40 time can play DE in the 4-3... in the 3-4, maybe, on a limited basis... but the Skins don't play a 3-4, do they?? IF he makes the Skins, he'll be a DT, period... but with Green and Salavea and the mighty Anthony Montgomery (LOL), what kind of chance does he have of even making the team??

Don't be surprised if NONE of these undrafted rookie free agents you've been goin' on and on about like they're superstars makes the team... the one with the best chance, IMO, is Spencer Havner...

riggo

Benched
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
well we do have Rich Gosselin's top 100 players where he gets his info from NFL people, and only 1 of your draft picks was ranked on it

summer, the skins second selection was #153.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
method man said:
honestly i made that thread title to stir the pot as i have not really talked about the cowboys draft but. i am refuting the notion around here that we had the worst draft in the league. its kinda funny how these cowboys fans like to call me dumb when they twist my words (claiming i am calling every one of our day 2 picks studs), criticize our late late 7th round selection of a former high school all american, and leave out the entire scouting reports.
I was at the Draft this year.

When the trade parameters with the Jets was announced the jets fans started chanting...

"You dropped the soap, you dropped the soap."

So Mr. Lack of Rhythm Method Man, when you want to point a finger at someone calling your draft dumb, we don't hold a candle to that blast.

sacase

Reaction score
I would love to see SB and Art go at it....

:fight:

Edit: I don't know how you find the time to watch and read that much football....you must not be married.

silverbear

Reaction score
sacase said:

That'll never happen, unless I was stupid enough to go challenge him on his own board... and if I did that, I'd just be banned inside of 3 days, count on it...

Art's a coward and a blowhard and a fool, he knows he'd better stay where he gets to make the rules... on a neutral site, I'd reduce that fat tub of goo to a quivering lump...

Edit: I don't know how you find the time to watch and read that much football....you must not be married.

Engaged twice, both spectacular mistakes... I'm better off back here in the woods, just me and my mutt... LOL...

method man

Reaction score
You really are a fool silverbullet. Whose opinion is more valuable? Yours or a guy who has seen a lot of film on Montgomery. I guess if you do not want to listen to a guy who can evaluate talent better than you can, then NFL.com gave Montgomery the same grade as Broderick Bunkley. (Notice how they say they say he is a high draft pick.

Anthony MontgomeryHeight: 6-5
Weight: 300
40 Speed: 5.36*
Position: Defensive Tackle
College: Minnesota
Final Grade: I 6.3

#section tr.label {background-color: #1A4B8D; border-bottom: 1px solid #ffffff;}#section tr.label td {padding: 2px; font-family: verdana, arial, sans; font-size: 10px; color: #FFFFFF; font-weight: bold;}#section tr.copy {background-color: #eeeeee;}#section tr.copy td {padding: 5px; font-family: verdana, arial, sans; font-size: 10px; color: #000000;}#section tr.copy td p {font-family: verdana, arial, sans; font-size: 10px; color: #000000;}#section #tbl tr.bg0 {background-color: #B9B9B9;}#section #tbl tr.bg0 td {font-family: verdana, arial, sans; font-size: 10px; color: #000000; text-align: center; font-weight: bold; text-transform: none;}#section #tbl tr.bg1 {background-color: #cccccc;}#section #tbl tr.bg1 td {font-family: verdana, arial, sans; font-size: 10px; color: #000000; text-align: center; font-weight: bold;}#section #tbl tr.bg2 {background-color: #ededed;}#section #tbl tr.bg2 td {font-family: verdana, arial, sans; font-size: 10px; color: #000000; text-align: center; font-weight: normal;}#section #tbl tr.bg10 {background-color: #B9B9B9;}#section #tbl tr.bg10 td {font-family: verdana, arial, sans; font-size: 10px; color: #000000; text-align: left; font-weight: bold; text-transform: none;}#section #tbl tr.bg11 {background-color: #cccccc;}#section #tbl tr.bg11 td {font-family: verdana, arial, sans; font-size: 10px; color: #000000; text-align: left; font-weight: normal;}#section #tbl tr.bg12 {background-color: #ededed;}#section #tbl tr.bg12 td {font-family: verdana, arial, sans; font-size: 10px; color: #000000; text-align: left; font-weight: normal;}
GM JR Scouting LLC Grading Scale/Key
SUMMARYMontgomery is a strong and athletic defensive tackle with the rare ability to be an impact player as a 2-Gap stay-at-home defensive tackle or as an explosive gap-shooting defensive tackle. He needs to improve his consistency playing with leverage and aggressiveness in order to consistently play up to his ability in the NFL because right now he is not nearly as effective at the point of attack when he gets up high and is not aggressive with his hands. What you have to like most about Montgomery is that, unlike most very athletic defensive tackles, he consistently hustles and chases hard after the ball from snap to whistle -- usually his hustle is seen more in over-achieving defensive tackles who are limited athletically. He is going to be a high draft pick because he offers the versatility to be very productive in any type of defense and will be able to start and contribute early in his career -- he will be just as effective playing defensive tackle in a 4-3 defense or defensive end in a 3-4 defense. He will be able to make an impact rushing the passer, on inside runs and chasing down ball carriers on runs away.

STRONG POINTSMontgomery is a unique defensive tackle with the combination of very good athleticism and playing strength. His instincts and foot quickness help him to consistently burst off the ball -- he's almost always the first defensive lineman moving at the snap and gets on top of the offensive linemen fast. He has the strength to stack the point of attack vs. run blocks, and can shed and make tackles on runs at him. His ability to burst off the ball and his playing strength enable him to consistently drive offensive linemen back into the quarterback's lap when he bull rushes aggressively. His quick feet and agility help him to defeat one-on-one pass blocks easily. He reads outside runs quickly, gets to full speed fast and chases down running backs in backside pursuit consistently well.
WEAKNESSESMontgomery is taller than ideal for a defensive tackle and when he does not bend his knees and play with leverage, he can be pushed around at the point of attack. While he has a very well-built lower body, he needs to bulk up a little bit in his upper body. When he does not attack the offensive linemen aggressively, he does not defeat their blocks consistently.

Talk to a real football fan and he will tell you that Corey Chavous is one of the smartest players in the league. To evaluate the draft, he doesn't spout off BS like other NFL players serving as analysts. He actually watches film. Scouting college players is Chavous's biggest hobby. Right after the NFL season is over, he watches hundreds of hours of college football film. He has a DVD collection of hundreds of college football players. So, yes, I do value Chavous's opinion.

method man

Reaction score
1. No. I don't think Lumsden is going to take playing time Portis usually gets but I do think he will be the main backup to Portis in 2007 once Betts leaves via FA.

2. Look above

3. Did I ever say that McIntosh is a Hall of Famer? Nope. I said he can be a stud because he has the athleticism and intelligence, which is required in Gregg Williams's system. If you do know anything about the draft, you would've known that McIntosh would have been gone by the time we picked because there was a huge run on linebackers (Ryan and Jackson were taken right before Rocky) so we would've missed out on our man.

4. Yeah. Brown can play DE for us. After all, we even had Boschetti, a big fat DT, spend time at DE. NFL.com also comments on Brown's versatility, saying he has excellent athleticism.

5. Never called these UDFAs "superstars" but I do feel some of them have a very good shot at making the team. Why? Special teams. Who says we brought in Onyenegecha as a CB? With his excellent tackling ability, we have a very nice special teams player who the coaches may be looking at as a safety.

6. In a debate, Art would own this backwoods hick who relies on twisting other peoples' words.

silverbear

Reaction score
method man said:
You really are a fool silverbullet. Whose opinion is more valuable? Yours or a guy who has seen a lot of film on Montgomery.

Ahhh, but it ain't just MY opinion-- it's the opinion of virtually everybody else except you and the author...

And if my opinion is so flawed, rebut it... you haven't even TRIED to do that, instead you just lob a few juvenile insults...

I guess if you do not want to listen to a guy who can evaluate talent better than you can, then NFL.com gave Montgomery the same grade as Broderick Bunkley. (Notice how they say they say he is a high draft pick.

Yeah, it's too bad that the best "expert" that NFL.com could come up with was the GM Jr. website...

It is not held in particularly high regard by most pundits OR draftaholics... for one thing, it seems like half their profiles start out with "this was a frustrating player to try to grade"...

For another thing, in the analysis of Bobby Carpenter you provided from them, they claim that he struggles trying to cover the TE, basically that he's a liability in coverage... they claim part of the reason for that is he lacks instincts...

The problem is, this runs contrary to what most RESPECTED draft sites say about him... consider this quote from NFL Draft Countdown:

Has great instincts...Is very natural and does an excellent job in coverage...

The Draft Stock website says:

Instinctive and rangy in coverage, shows good skills dropping and even playing man to man.

The Fantasy Football Toolbox website says:

He also shows the athletic skills to drop back in pass coverage and become a very effective defender back there, who can cover a good amount of area for one his size

Over on Fox Sports' website, they say:

Smart and instinctive athlete who loves to physically challenge the tight ends by coming right up to the line of scrimmage

They also say:

Shows good balance on the move and is quick to break out of his pedal to mirror receivers past the short area...Has the smooth turning motion and loose hips to get good depth on his pass drops and keeps his head on a swivel...Times his leaps well competing for the pass and will settle with speed to close and make plays on the ball...Does a good job of reaching and plucking the ball away from the body's frame...

Carpenter has the valid speed, feet and acceleration to handle man coverage assignments. He has the loose hips to come out of his breaks cleanly and is smooth dropping back into pass coverage, getting good depth in those drops. He is also very effective at getting physical and using his hands to reroute tight ends at the line of scrimmage.

ALL of these websites refute the claims made by the folks at GM Jr....

Now, YOU might prefer to believe that your sources are superior, if only because they're saying what you want to hear, but a THINKING man would look at one source saying one thing, and everybody else saying the opposite, and conclude that it's highly likely the one source is WRONG...

And now that I've demonstrated that the GM Jr. website is a bit less than authoritative, that spares me the need to go look up comments that counter the ones they made about Anthony Montgomery... I reckon all I need to do is offer this one, comical quote from them:

He is going to be a high draft pick

Yeah, he was the 153rd player taken... shows you how much those folks know about talent evaluation... ROTFLMAO...

Talk to a real football fan and he will tell you that Corey Chavous is one of the smartest players in the league.

LOL... listening to you talk about "real" football fans is comical, when you're running around spewing such completely uninformed garbage...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Ahhh, but it ain't just MY opinion-- it's the opinion of virtually everybody else except you and the author...

And if my opinion is so flawed, rebut it... you haven't even TRIED to do that, instead you just lob a few juvenile insults...

Yeah, it's too bad that the best "expert" that NFL.com could come up with was the GM Jr. website...

It is not held in particularly high regard by most pundits OR draftaholics... for one thing, it seems like half their profiles start out with "this was a frustrating player to try to grade"...

For another thing, in the analysis of Bobby Carpenter you provided from them, they claim that he struggles trying to cover the TE, basically that he's a liability in coverage... they claim part of the reason for that is he lacks instincts...

The problem is, this runs contrary to what most RESPECTED draft sites say about him... consider this quote from NFL Draft Countdown:

The Draft Stock website says:

The Fantasy Football Toolbox website says:

Over on Fox Sports' website, they say:

They also say:

ALL of these websites refute the claims made by the folks at GM Jr....

Now, YOU might prefer to believe that your sources are superior, if only because they're saying what you want to hear, but a THINKING man would look at one source saying one thing, and everybody else saying the opposite, and conclude that it's highly likely the one source is WRONG...

And now that I've demonstrated that the GM Jr. website is a bit less than authoritative, that spares me the need to go look up comments that counter the ones they made about Anthony Montgomery... I reckon all I need to do is offer this one, comical quote from them:

Yeah, he was the 153rd player taken... shows you how much those folks know about talent evaluation... ROTFLMAO...

LOL... listening to you talk about "real" football fans is comical, when you're running around spewing such completely uninformed garbage...
That was surgical in its precision.

silverbear

Reaction score
method man said:
1. No. I don't think Lumsden is going to take playing time Portis usually gets but I do think he will be the main backup to Portis in 2007 once Betts leaves via FA.

Well, if you don't figure he'll have any impact at all THIS year, why make such a big deal out of him??

3. Did I ever say that McIntosh is a Hall of Famer? Nope. I said he can be a stud because he has the athleticism and intelligence, which is required in Gregg Williams's system. If you do know anything about the draft, you would've known that McIntosh would have been gone by the time we picked because there was a huge run on linebackers (Ryan and Jackson were taken right before Rocky) so we would've missed out on our man.

You just don't know that, and in fact the consensus among the pundits was that he was a late second, even early 3rd round type... and in point of fact, exactly ONE other linebacker was taken between where Rocky was picked (at pick 35), and where the Skins were originally scheduled to pick (pick 53)... that other LB was one the Skins were also highly interested in, one a good deal faster and more athletic than McIntosh (that would be Thomas Howard, from UTEP)...

So, there was no more "run" on linebackers after that, and the one team that DID draft Thomas Howard at pick 38 (the Raiders) would have been unlikely to prefer McIntosh there... Al Davis loves SPEED, and Howard is MUCH faster than Rocky is... for that matter, Al probably would have picked Jon Alston before he went for McIntosh...

So clearly, McIntosh would likely have been on the board if the Skins had stayed where they were... they didn't have to give up a second rounder next year... this was nothing more than a blunder on the part of the Skins' front office...

4. Yeah. Brown can play DE for us. After all, we even had Boschetti, a big fat DT, spend time at DE. NFL.com also comments on Brown's versatility, saying he has excellent athleticism.

Here's what they ACTUALLY said:

He has the ability to play defensive tackle for a 4-3 team and can play either defensive end or nose tackle for a 3-4 defense

Which is PRECISELY what I said earlier-- he might be able to play DE in a 3-4 (like the Boys play), but in the 4-3, he's strictly a DT...

Given that you don't seem to know much about football, I reckon I ought to tell you that the Skins don't play a 3-4... therefore, it logically follows that for them, he'll be a DT and nothing more...

6. In a debate, Art would own this backwoods hick who relies on twisting other peoples' words.

Then have him come on over and give me a try... but first, lemme tell you that he did that over on another board a couple-three years back, and he did NOT have a pleasant experience... in fact, he got punked, by your friendly local Bear...

Rather like you're being punked by that same Bear right now... LOL...

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile said:
That was surgical in its precision.

Just gettin' warmed up, Hos... the only question I have at this point is how much psychic pain this troll can handle before he tucks his little troll tail between his little troll legs, and runs just as fast as he can back to the safety of Extermeskins... :eek:

mschmidt64

Reaction score
menace said:

You didn't.

But prop yourself for being honest unlike the other Skins fans in here who are lying to themselves.

Your draft was bad.

Here's the problem with having bad drafts, though... even if you don't have holes at the time, you will eventually. Starters get old and retire or leave in free agency.

When you are a team with few holes, the problem doesn't show up now, but rather 2-3 years down the road when you are tight against the cap with no players playing under their cheap rookie contracts to step in and continue without missing a beat.

The Cowboys went through this. The Commanders sentenced themselves to years of 8-8 for a while there because they shunned the draft.

They hit the jackpot last year and went 10-6 and for some reason thought it was a vindication of what had until that point been a total failure.

When they end up back at 8-8 it will be no shock to any Cowboys fan.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
sacase said:

:fight:
Art is out of his league without the Mod powers. That's been proven over and over.