We are not Overpaying

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Zeke , Dlaw , Smith are all overpaid . Don't get fooled by zeke's last game . the OL is playing great and Pollard + any decent Rb can get those yards and not cost 15 million + as per zeke's contract.
Dlaw has never been close to elite or top 5-7 in the NFL . Jerry paid him for potential and missed. Same happened with other players overpaid on the roster.
Right now Dak is the only recent big splurge that has worked so far as Dak has proven himself on the field so far .

I hope you're not talking about Tyron.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So tell me where you rather spend one of these guys contracts & how you fill the hole?

Lawrence isn't living up to his contract. I can make much better use of $27 million in cap space. I'll start by re-signing Gregory and Schultz and then look for another defensive linemen for the 'dirty work'. And I'll still have millions in cap room left over.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Lawrence isn't living up to his contract. I can make much better use of $27 million in cap space. I'll start by re-signing Gregory and Schultz and then look for another defensive linemen for the 'dirty work'. And I'll still have millions in cap room left over.

So you'll take on $8 million in dead cap in 2022 & $11 million in 2023 to downgrade LDE?

If you want to move on from LAWRENCE, I think 2023 makes more sense.

You can move on from Jarwin with only $1M Deadcap to go toward Shultz money

Shane612

Reaction score
There's something screwy about "market value".
Seems like if a player has one or two decent season, he is automatically labeled an "elite" player. And automatically his value goes up 10 times his current value. And the ticket price goes up, accordingly.
Last time I attended a cowboys game with my two boys, I drop little over $1000.00 for one game.
I wish the regular world's salary structure worked the same way.
Lucky for me my two boys have grown up and have better things to do than get hooked on the cowboys, and the NFL.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Golston does everything Lawrence does at a fraction of the cost.

Lawrence needs to go. I'd much rather pay to keep Schultz, Gallup, Gregory, Kearse, Hooker, Neal, Kazee, and maybe Connor Williams.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
So you'll take on $8 million in dead cap in 2022 & $11 million in 2023 to downgrade LDE?

If you want to move on from LAWRENCE, I think 2023 makes more sense.

we will still need to do restructures to free up the dough to keep Gallup, Gregory and the 3 young safeties (the safeties won't cost premium dollar, but they need to be retained and certainly on multi year deals)

I like having Schultz and Jarwin both, they are both good in the receiving game, unless we see big strides out of someone like McKeon there's no need to downgrade on offense like that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Absolutely I will. To save tens of millions in overpaid salary. And we're doing just fine being 'downgraded at LDE' in case you hadn't noticed.

I'm A-OK with doing that as well, but it won't come close to paying what it will take to keep Schultz.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Absolutely I will. To save tens of millions in overpaid salary. And we're doing just fine being 'downgraded at LDE' in case you hadn't noticed.

I'm A-OK with doing that as well, but it won't come close to paying what it will take to keep Schultz.
Disagreed. Tight end is a relatively low paid position and Schultz isn't a big name. He will not command anywhere near George Kittle money no matter what he does this year.

Creeper

Reaction score
To be fair, unless the player actually gets to free agency we don't get to get an accurate measurement of their market value.

We can do some comparisons wit other players and a pretty good idea of what a player is worth. DLaw has simply not produced at the level he is getting paid. I would like him at $16.5million which is what the Packers gave the Smiths when they signed them. That is almost $5 million less than what he is getting paid now. Take than, money from Zeke, Dak and Amari and you have a DT who can push the pile.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like if a player has one or two decent season, he is automatically labeled an "elite" player. And automatically his value goes up 10 times his current value. And the ticket price goes up, accordingly.
Last time I attended a cowboys game with my two boys, I drop little over $1000.00 for one game.
Lucky for me my two boys have grown up and have better things to do than get hooked on the cowboys, and the NFL.

And 'market value' changes all the time. And by that I mean it continues to rise. And these Cowboys waited until markets at all of these positions exploded before they eventually got deals done.

We can go down the list:
  1. Lawrence
  2. Elliott
  3. Cooper
  4. Prescott

That's another fact that some fans have a hard time facing.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
If the best you can do for 19 million is keep D Flaw for one year then your football team is gonna stink.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

$10 of millions? What do you think is a fair salary then?

If he's over paid, it's only by $3 million per year max. If you think he's not worth at least $17, I don't know what to tell you.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
:thumbdown:

Tell that to Hunter Henry and the Patriots.
Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry were overpaid, but the Patriots overpaid everybody to try to do their damnedest to boost Mac Jones' confidence, and it doesn't look like it's working out. They should have spent that money on offensive line, which stinks right now up in New England.

Those guys were 1st round draft picks and have produced since coming into the NFL, from their rookie years onward. Hunter Henry was a beast with the Chargers. Schultz was a nobody until Jarwin tore his ACL last year.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DLaw is a good player but clearly not elite or worth the amount he is earning.

The defense is playing well in his absence.
Apparently, Jerry think he was worth it, that's all that really matters....Dak was under paid for 4 years, that's the rookie cap.....I don't remember us complaining that he was underpaid....if owners are willing to pay, get what you can, can they'll cut you in a heartbeat once you start declining.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
$10 of millions? What do you think is a fair salary then?

If he's over paid, it's only by $3 million per year max. If you think he's not worth at least $17, I don't know what to tell you.

Don't try to 'tell me' anything. I actually don't want to read it.

I'm not paying "$17" for a guy that hasn't had double digit sacks since 2018. That's "overpaying".

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

I just spent all that last weekend for my cowboys vacation