We are not Overpaying

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Meaning those that tell you want you want to hear. I heard the same bull**** trying to defend Jaylon Smith. Until he was cut too. And then those same people don't want to talk about him anymore and cry that "he's gone".

That is some strait up BS. Film guys (Strum, John Owning, etc..) regularly called out Smith and are the same guys that will tell you Lawrence is legit.

You're probably right that the sack numbers are what got Lawrence paid, but they are not the only way a game is influenced. sack numbers are variable year to year, especially when your playing without anything else on the Dline.

I'm never going to take seriously those who only look at sacks numbers.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't have an issue with players making big money however with the bigger money comes higher expectations. When the player does not live up to the contract people will be upset. As I mentioned in another thread players must use the leverage when the opportunity comes because no matter what you are paid if production falls teams will look to replace you. People talk of team friendly deal and it sounds great but that player still must produce or the team will look to upgrade at the 1st chance they get, so you get the opportunity in FA to cash in you best take it.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can handle all of it.

I remember a few days ago you giving me a hard time because I was critical of Jaylon Smith. Accusing me of being "jealous" somehow. You remember that? I do. In retrospect, it doesn't look too good.

Like I said, my fandom does not require me to be blind to real issues that this team may have. And that type of thinking certainly doesn't help them to fix them. And based on the Smith release, it seems that they 'caught up' to what many of us already knew. Or maybe you think the team was also "jealous" of Jaylon Smith and that's why they released him?
I do remember..... I've always had a soft spot for players.....I've known many that have been chewed up and spit out. I know it's part of the business, still don't like it.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We have several players on this team with huge contracts. The first thing we as fans say is that they're making too much when their production isn't adding up.

In the process of said player EARNING said contract, they had to perform in a certain way to get paid, in which we ALL were happy while they made great plays.

Now, in the NFL we have something that's called MARKET VALUE, which is the value of the top players at that position. We fail to realize as the market is set, this is near or above what the player will be asking the team for.

We're fools to think that a player playing at a high level is going to take less than market value. Yet once said player is digressing in his play, we complain that he's overpaid.

What is the team supposed to do allow these players just to walk? I'm aware that we can't pay everyone big money, but we will have to spend and we have an owner who likes to spend!

With that said we have to monitor how we say OVERPAID, your thoughts please!!!
everybody wants a great deal....but the question is how much you over pay, because in today's NFL you are going to over pay, although in a few years after that, its probably below top value.....specially for some positions.

with that said, Jaylon was over paid, he didn't play to the level of a minimum contract, future outlook wasn't good, the cost would have been 10M, so it was an easy decision....

in case of DLaw, there is some tough decisions to be made. people want him cut now...why? he is playing well. maybe not 20M level, but he is playing well when he is there (and that's the key)....but next year he is slated to make 27M....is he worth that? that value would make him tops in the NFL with Bosa.....so he is a cut or restructure candidate for sure.

cooper is 4th, but he is producing at a high level. so how much over paid is he?

sometimes you have to over pay to get the right players. some time you have to over pay to find success. its just that you don't want to over pay someone like Jaylon. and get nothing in return.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
DLaw might not give you 15 sacks...but he CAN play.

This is the truth (though I think he's capable of 15 in the right circumstance).

He's a really good player. Top 10 for his position for certain.

You do not move on from a player like this when you're trying to contend. Maybe when rebuilding.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is some strait up BS. Film guys (Strum, John Owning, etc..) regularly called out Smith and are the same guys that will tell you Lawrence is legit.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying that Lawrence isn't "legit" and a very good player. But you don't pay great money for good players. Football Economics 101.

You're probably right that the sack numbers are what got Lawrence paid, but they are not the only way a game is influenced. sack numbers are variable year to year, especially when your playing without anything else on the Dline.

In years' past? Absolutely. But you're watching the games and seeing the same things I am. An entire defense is stepping up and improving. And showing they can do that without Lawrence. While I would rather keep him, I do realize the bad cap situation this team is facing. So for me it comes down to keeping Lawrence, or keeping four or five of our pending free agents next year. It's all about the numbers for me.

I'll live. But as I've mentioned, I'm looking at other numbers, like salary cap numbers and the number of free agents I'd like to keep.

I hope that clarifies my thinking.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do remember..... I've always had a soft spot for players.....I've known many that have been chewed up and spit out. I know it's part of the business, still don't like it.

Fair enough. I hear where you're coming from. At the end of the day, the NFL is more business than sport and it can be quite cruel sometimes.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
In years' past? Absolutely. But you're watching the games and seeing the same things I am. An entire defense is stepping up and improving. And showing they can do that without Lawrence. While I would rather keep him, I do realize the bad cap situation this team is facing. So for me it comes down to keeping Lawrence, or keeping four or five of our pending free agents next year. It's all about the numbers for me.

That's fair. But I'll caution that we're only 4 games into the season. I'm going to see if this is sustainable and look how this defense looks after Lawrence returns.

It's Super Bowls > cap management for me.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I think one problem is we tried to pay these guys as soon as they showed potential so that we could save many in the long run if they turned into All Pros. We did it with Tyrone Crawford too. He flashed potential early in his career and we gave him a good salary. He wasn't the highest paid DT in the league, but he was paid like a very good player. Problem is he only ended up being an average player. If you have an elite player on your team, that's different. If we had Aaron Donald from a few years ago, would you release him if he wanted to be the top paid DT?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I think one problem is we tried to pay these guys as soon as they showed potential so that we could save many in the long run if they turned into All Pros. We did it with Tyrone Crawford too. He flashed potential early in his career and we gave him a good salary. He wasn't the highest paid DT in the league, but he was paid like a very good player. Problem is he only ended up being an average player. If you have an elite player on your team, that's different. If we had Aaron Donald from a few years ago, would you release him if he wanted to be the top paid DT?

chicken or the egg

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
So you'll take on $8 million in dead cap in 2022 & $11 million in 2023 to downgrade LDE?

If you want to move on from LAWRENCE, I think 2023 makes more sense.

You can move on from Jarwin with only $1M Deadcap to go toward Shultz money

If that's the case with Lawrence eating up so much cap space and not being able to sign young and productive players like Randy Gregory and Schultz, than that's really too bad.

Goes to show how terrible Jerry and the FO is with the cap by signing these players just to make a statement.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's fair. But I'll caution that we're only 4 games into the season. I'm going to see if this is sustainable and look how this defense looks after Lawrence returns.

It's Super Bowls > cap management for me.

That's why I have included a reference to how things go for him and the team the rest of the way. Given how Lawrence has played in the past, he may very well come back and tear it up after finally having players around him playing at a high level. If he does that, it will be really hard to part ways. But if it's another 5-6 sack season the rest of the way? I can see the team moving on for the cap space.

RicKospia

Reaction score

Sacks bring a big pay check players take them seriously,

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Sacks bring a big pay check players take them seriously,

I understand. I like sacks, I want them, I want them from Lawrence.

I also understand that if you pressure a QB into an errant through that gets picked--it's more valuable than a sack. A forced fumble that's recovered is more valuable than a sack. ..

Containing the edge that stops an RB from scoring, TFLs that bring you out of FG range--all this affects the game.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
You should hold your breath about that. Barring injury, Schultz will be a top-paid tight end after this season. Is this more fan wishful thinking in trying to figure put how the Cowboys can keep him? More willful ignorance to hope you can get what you want?
Realism. Look at Juju Smith Schuster who was a WR and a far bigger name who has been productive since he was a rookie. Schultz was a nobody until midway through last year.

Verdict

Reaction score
Some fans can't bear the thought of their favorite team doing anything wrong.
They either do not understand that a salary cap exists, emotionally can’t separate the cap from the player, or don’t really care about the team, only about the player. Or I guess another possibility is that they are just stupid.

Verdict

Reaction score
So tell me where you rather spend one of these guys contracts & how you fill the hole?

Anywhere other than wasting cap space. That’s like saying I you want to pay double the price for a car because you haven’t decided where you are going to spend the savings. There may be some reasonable arguments in support of your position, but that is not one of them.