We are not Overpaying

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry were overpaid, but the Patriots overpaid everybody to try to do their damnedest to boost Mac Jones' confidence, and it doesn't look like it's working out. They should have spent that money on offensive line, which stinks right now up in New England.

Those guys were 1st round draft picks and have produced since coming into the NFL, from their rookie years onward. Hunter Henry was a beast with the Chargers. Schultz was a nobody until Jarwin tore his ACL last year.

Go do some homework and check out Schultz' 2020 numbers and compare them with Henry's. Then look at Schultz numbers compared to the rest of the TE's around the league this year. And then apologize for not knowing better.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Go do some homework and check out Schultz' 2020 numbers and compare them with Henry's. Then look at Schultz numbers compared to the rest of the TE's around the league this year. And then apologize for not knowing better.
Then go compare Schultz' numbers in 2018 and 2019 to the rest of Hunter Henry's career. Then get back to me and apologize.

glimmerman

Reaction score
When D-Law said he was holding out his shoulder surgery until he got a contract and I knew he wouldn’t be ready in time for the beginning of the season I would have said see ya never or next year after you heal. Someone maybe would have signed him but not for what he got.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does it do any good for you to worry about it? If it does, I'll start worrying too.

It's part of paying attention to all aspects of my favorite team. Not just those that I like. Life doesn't work that way and neither does my thinking. Fan or not, I see warts and all. And I can handle both the good and the bad. If others can't? It's their issue, their weakness, and their problem. I'm able to discuss all areas concerning my team, not just the ones that I 'like'.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Don't try to 'tell me' anything. I actually don't want to read it.

I'm not paying "$17" for a guy that hasn't had double digit sacks since 2018. That's "overpaying".

OK, im not getting into the sacks conversations again. I'll just tell say, the guys who actually watch film and really pay attention (not just look at a stat sheet) know Lawrence's value . Top 5-7 DE in this league.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
We have several players on this team with huge contracts. The first thing we as fans say is that they're making too much when their production isn't adding up.

In the process of said player EARNING said contract, they had to perform in a certain way to get paid, in which we ALL were happy while they made great plays.

Now, in the NFL we have something that's called MARKET VALUE, which is the value of the top players at that position. We fail to realize as the market is set, this is near or above what the player will be asking the team for.

We're fools to think that a player playing at a high level is going to take less than market value. Yet once said player is digressing in his play, we complain that he's overpaid.

What is the team supposed to do allow these players just to walk? I'm aware that we can't pay everyone big money, but we will have to spend and we have an owner who likes to spend!

With that said we have to monitor how we say OVERPAID, your thoughts please!!!
You are right.

I for one NEVER had a problem with Zekes contract. We ran him on 1st down...ran him on 2nd down...and threw it to him on 3rd or asked him to pick up the blitz. His agents were not going to allow Garett to abuse him like he did DeMarco Murray for rookie money. His talent impacted BOTH the offense and the defense because he controlled the tempo and kept the defense off the field.

We all loved Dak when we were winning 13 games and paying him 500k/year. Well, it does not work like that. If Dallas had properly evaluated Daks trajectory...he would have been had for 33M/year (like Wentz and others in his draft class) and we would not have been stuck paying him 75M this year. This is on the Jones boys

DLaw might not give you 15 sacks...but he CAN play.

The issue was with a guy like Jaylon. You can at least say Zeke at various points was either the best player at his position in the NFL or top 3. Dak, you can at least say he is a top 10 QB. If his draft class were to be re-drafted....Dak would probably be a top 3 pick. If Jaylon's draft class were to be re-drafted...Jaylon would NOT get drafted...and this is a guy who we used a 2nd round pick on AND signed him to a contract extension making him the highest paid LBer in the history of the NFL at the time. That is what did it for me. Zeke, Dak and DLaw have played at a high level over an extended period. Jaylon might have a couple of games in a row of somewhat high level ball.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Fans way to worried about other peoples money

Their money comes from us fans, so maybe we do have a right to complain who's worthy of our money and who's not. Most of the people who watch and attend games are not rich. If I'm going to break my bank account to attend a highly priced game, buying overpriced concessions, so they can live in mansions, I should be able to complain to all involved in making a game so expensive to attend. Fans of the Commanders had every right to complain about Albert Haynesworth and the money he stole from them. I've never complained about other people's money but I get why people do.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Dak is worth every penny so far. He is the main difference between us and teams like the Eagles and the Panthers.

Cooper is a good player but good teams find that kind of production for less. The list of wide receivers that can produce is almost endless. Would love him at around 12 million per year. Not a huge fan at 20.

Elliot is looking much better as of late but productive RBs can be had for much much less. Would love him at around 6 million per year. Not a huge fan at 15.

D Flaw is a good player but he was only a true game changer during his contract year push. Would love him around 10 million per year. Not a huge fan at 20.

Now that Jaylon is gone that is the list IMHO. By my calculations that is an extra 27 million per year to spend. You can get a lot of quality players to fill out the roster with that much cheddar.

If you over play these guys because you think you can not win without them then you are lost

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
He wasn't starting then. Get your apples away from the oranges.
Bottom line is he is not a household name like Hunter Henry has been since he came into the league in 2016. Henry was always going to get paid wherever he went. Schultz is not a name and won't be, he will fly under the radar and won't get the kind of money you think he will. People will be like "...but he only produced because they had Cooper, Lamb, Zeke, Gallup, etc..."

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's part of paying attention to all aspects of my favorite team. Not just those that I like. Life doesn't work that way and neither does my thinking. Fan or not, I see warts and all. And I can handle both the good and the bad. If others can't? It's their issue, their weakness, and their problem. I'm able to discuss all areas concerning my team, not just the ones that I 'like'.
Not my question, I see the cap too. Discussion is one thing, but worrying about it is another....Does it do any good? Do you enjoy the games more or less because of the warts?? Some do, some don't....it's all a matter of opinion, I guess.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, im not getting into the sacks conversations again.

Because it crushes any argument you might try to make.

I'll just tell say, the guys who actually watch film and really pay attention (not just look at a stat sheet) know Lawrence's value . Top 5-7 DE in this league.

Meaning those that tell you want you want to hear. I heard the same bull**** trying to defend Jaylon Smith. Until he was cut too. And then those same people don't want to talk about him anymore and cry that "he's gone".

Homer Playbook 101.

Lawrence and those that got paid when he did (Mack, Donald) got that money because they were putting up sacks. And the players themselves will tell you that. Randy Gregory just said so this past week about his upcoming deal. It's a fact. And it's also a fact that when players aren't getting them, fans will try to downplay their importance and significance. This is 'Almost Anthony' Spencer all over again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bottom line is he is not a household name like Hunter Henry has been since he came into the league in 2016. Henry was always going to get paid wherever he went. Schultz is not a name and won't be, he will fly under the radar and won't get the kind of money you think he will. People will be like "...but he only produced because they had Cooper, Lamb, Zeke, Gallup, etc..."

You should hold your breath about that. Barring injury, Schultz will be a top-paid tight end after this season. Is this more fan wishful thinking in trying to figure put how the Cowboys can keep him? More willful ignorance to hope you can get what you want?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're in the middle of a three game win streak and fans are worried about paychecks that we are stuck with.....huh?? Too each their own.....just opened a bottle of wine, Salud!!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You should hold your breath about that. Barring injury, Schultz will be a top-paid tight end after this season. Is this more fan wishful thinking in trying to figure put how the Cowboys can keep him? More willful ignorance to hope you can get what you want?
Lol!!! And then they'll start yelling that he's overpaid...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not my question, I see the cap too. Discussion is one thing, but worrying about it is another....Does it do any good? Do you enjoy the games more or less because of the warts?? Some do, some don't....it's all a matter of opinion, I guess.

I can handle all of it.

I remember a few days ago you giving me a hard time because I was critical of Jaylon Smith. Accusing me of being "jealous" somehow. You remember that? I do. In retrospect, it doesn't look too good.

Like I said, my fandom does not require me to be blind to real issues that this team may have. And that type of thinking certainly doesn't help them to fix them. And based on the Smith release, it seems that they 'caught up' to what many of us already knew. Or maybe you think the team was also "jealous" of Jaylon Smith and that's why they released him?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Their money comes from us fans, so maybe we do have a right to complain who's worthy of our money and who's not. Most of the people who watch and attend games are not rich. If I'm going to break my bank account to attend a highly priced game, buying overpriced concessions, so they can live in mansions, I should be able to complain to all involved in making a game so expensive to attend. Fans of the Football Team had every right to complain about Albert Haynesworth and the money he stole from them. I've never complained about other people's money but I get why people do.

THIS RIGHT HERE!!!! I JUST SPENT a lot this weekend at my cowboys vacation lol I know all about it