We are not Overpaying

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His projected hit for 2022 is $27 million and these are the dead cap numbers if he's designated a June 1st cut:

POST-6/1 RELEASE
2022 Dead Cap: $8,000,000
2023 Dead Cap: $11,000,000
2022 Cap Savings: $19,000,000

That $19 million savings would help to fix their issues for next year for sure.
Its entirely possible the cut him in 2022. Especially if Golston has a strong year, and they resign Gregory (which they probably will).

When exactly does the depressed cap from 2020 end? Is 2022 or 23?

blueblood70

Reaction score
anyone who accepts Daks 40+ mil per year AAV and think zekes 15 is too much failed math if you look at 2016 until now on how each players worth to the team actually was..

RB maybe expendable more then a QB but zeke was elite, got his deal because of those first 3 years and hes still great, he earned that deal..im betting earl i wish i could walk upright would agree..short careers and the way great backs sure used up and thrown away.

im more then happy Zeke got his money while he could..

its insane to think

Dak 40
dlaw 21
AC 20
all above make tons more then zeke

Zeke 15

JS 12

you trying to tell me the top 3 guys cowboys careers should be making that much more then zeke im sorry but zeke was worth his deal regardless of what the toll hater keyboard gms feel..hes not even the highest paid rb in the league and thats a fact.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its entirely possible the cut him in 2022. Especially if Golston has a strong year, and they resign Gregory (which they probably will).

When exactly does the depressed cap from 2020 end? Is 2022 or 23?

I think that 2022 is the last depressed year but I'm not 100% sure of it. I know that they've given the firm number for next year's cap but haven't seen anything for 2023 yet.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Again, you first.

Practice what you preach.
Your replies make no sense We have different opinions. You are the one getting bent out of shape over it. Have a
127952-01_snickers-candy-bars-48-piece-box.jpg

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don’t know what they will do with Tank. But they are playing with fire at $27m per year and $29m the year after that. They may not have the cap room to do another Jaylon move without really cramping things up.

You have to have good players on the cheap to make up for the Tank contract whiffs on the ledger.
I don't see him on the team in 2023. He could be cut in the offseason. 19 million over 2 years is alot to swallow, buts it doable. However in 2023 it's only 11. There is now way his contract is on the books then

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your replies make no sense We have different opinions. You are the one getting bent out of shape over it. Have a
127952-01_snickers-candy-bars-48-piece-box.jpg

I'm holding you accountable. For your own words. Clearly you can't handle that.

You run your mouth about what other people should do but don't live up to your own words. That's a hypocrite.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see him on the team in 2023. He could be cut in the offseason. 19 million over 2 years is alot to swallow, buts it doable. However in 2023 it's only 11. There is now way his contract is on the books then

Going from a $27 million cap hit to $8 million in dead money is a huge savings, especially in a depressed cap year when we have a ton of quality projected free agents.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score

You run your mouth about what other people should do but don't live up to your own words. That's a hypocrite.
Snickers did not work here

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Snickers did not work here

I'll post this until it registers for you. Take as long as you need.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score

I'll post this until it registers for you. Take as long as you need.
Hold me accountable! I'm skeert dont know if I can take it but I will try.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Going from a $27 million cap hit to $8 million in dead money is a huge savings, especially in a depressed cap year when we have a ton of quality projected free agents.

If you cut Brown, Lewis, & Jarwin that brings our cap space to about zero.

Then you need to determine if you're going to play the restructure game or release a top heavy contract (Tank or Cooper).

If you go Tank, you have a glaring hole at LDE. If you go Cooper, you loose your best wide out, but save $20 mi with only $6 mil dead cap (as opposed to $19 mil dead cap for Lawrence).

The situation really sucks.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you cut Brown, Lewis, & Jarwin that brings our cap space to about zero.

Then you need to determine if you're going to play the restructure game or release a top heavy contract (Tank or Cooper).

If you go Tank, you have a glaring hole at LDE. If you go Cooper, you loose your best wide out, but save $20 mi with only $6 mil dead cap (as opposed to $19 mil dead cap for Lawrence).

The situation really sucks.

It truly does. And some people get mad when it's even talked about.

Verdict

Reaction score

The beat down is the additional $27m+$29M =$56m they would have to pay him over a two year period of new money. There is no way he is worth that in new money, cap hit or not, you can’t throw away another $56M in new money on him.

Verdict

Reaction score
It truly does. And some people get mad when it's even talked about.

I agree with most of the things you are saying in relation to this issue, but I don’t know if we have a “glaring hole” without Tank. We seem to be doing a pretty good job without him.

When Tank comes back he better be lighting the world on fire. It is going to be interesting to see if he can take the defense up to another level when he returns or if he is exposed as just a guy. If the team play doesn’t improve when Tank comes back (all other things being equal) I think Tank may get chopped sooner rather than later.

I realize the jury is still out on Tank (and I would like to be proven wrong) but I see Tank just like I saw Dez. Dez was done. People couldn’t see it because all they could see was how good he WAS. The Tank situation may be the same deal. We will see.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
It depends. Once Jaylon was cut, you have guys talking about cutting Collins and replacing him with Steel because Collins makes more money. They are not looking at individual play they see the team has some success and start targeting guys that have decent contracts.
Exactly. It's about play on the field and who gives u best chance to succeed. The money for this year is I. The.books. off-season is when u work on this stuff.

Verdict

Reaction score
anyone who accepts Daks 40+ mil per year AAV and think zekes 15 is too much failed math if you look at 2016 until now on how each players worth to the team actually was..

RB maybe expendable more then a QB but zeke was elite, got his deal because of those first 3 years and hes still great, he earned that deal..im betting earl i wish i could walk upright would agree..short careers and the way great backs sure used up and thrown away.

im more then happy Zeke got his money while he could..

its insane to think

Dak 40
dlaw 21
AC 20
all above make tons more then zeke

Zeke 15

JS 12

you trying to tell me the top 3 guys cowboys careers should be making that much more then zeke im sorry but zeke was worth his deal regardless of what the toll hater keyboard gms feel..hes not even the highest paid rb in the league and thats a fact.
I understand how some can say Zeke is a little overpaid, but really his contract is not that bad, compared to others.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not so. Whether one likes it or not, NFL teams are restricted by a salary cap, and if you're overpaying people who are not worth that much, you won't be able to acquire someone who IS worth it.
Fans who pay any serious attention to what their team is doing are naturally going to be concerned when their team signs an expensive contract to a player who underperforms.

Those salaries are not secret, they are made publicly available. If part of becoming a quality team means properly managing their salary cap, then why shouldn't fans be concerned about the same thing?
No denying over paying someone who way under performs is not smart, but in NFL u will over pay for talented players and take risks.

Now Jaylon was way under performing and his contract wasn't team friendly because it was guaranteed on 5th day of new league year or in case of injury. No upside to him. Under performing. So it was a no brainer.

We are in the books for DLaw this year. He perhaps under performs his salary this year but he is not Jaylin under performing. He is not a liability per se.

But next year at 27 we have to think twice.

And also.one has to think who is available. There are not that many players worth their dollars who hit FA. They are either older looking for a last pay check. Injured. Or under performers. Anyone any good their teams.will over pay and keep.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I understand how some can say Zeke is a little overpaid, but really his contract is not that bad, compared to others.
in the grand scheme of things take the RB position out of it i say and truly believe its not bad contract. First 2 years base was around 10-11mil the rb and the way zeke runs say this was his only chance at big deal and he took it and IMO it was well deserved..