We are not Overpaying

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that is hardly fair when he's played exactly 1 game in this new defense, and played a pretty great game too (5 pressure, forced fumble, 94 PFF grade, against an elite RT).

I agree. That's why I'm taking a wait and see approach for what Lawrence does the rest of the season. But I will say that I feel that he has something to prove when he comes back and needs to convince the team that they need to keep him at that high dollar amount.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
https://lh3.***BROKEN***/proxy/MYHzyLlbVMYVCEniIvLGDBqZWyZBoiwinYOVj8rxemXUULH_8N-iw-7wufR8VEZ6ZQJmDFf5uAbbe-9PCtGrNziaRm9rHFk6s0IXG_575bpLebSrXE_fioBEbqW0vwoCO7DZlfY3W1U5
Those mushrooms sure are making ya persistent, I see. Well I can't wait for you to eat crow next spring.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Yes and no. If it were strictly about how much the player is making, yes. But mostly fans worry about that money not going toward other players who could help the team.

It depends. Once Jaylon was cut, you have guys talking about cutting Collins and replacing him with Steel because Collins makes more money. They are not looking at individual play they see the team has some success and start targeting guys that have decent contracts.

Verdict

Reaction score
That is some strait up BS. Film guys (Strum, John Owning, etc..) regularly called out Smith and are the same guys that will tell you Lawrence is legit.

You're probably right that the sack numbers are what got Lawrence paid, but they are not the only way a game is influenced. sack numbers are variable year to year, especially when your playing without anything else on the Dline.

I'm never going to take seriously those who only look at sacks numbers.

Lawrence is a good player. But he is only worth about half of what we paid him. You don’t pay Donald money to a guy half as good as Donald is.

Tank is a guy you want on your team at a reasonable cap number. Tank is not a guy you want on your team for $27m or $29m per year. He’s not worth that cap hit.

You aren’t going to be right on every contract and not every player will justify his cap number, because that’s just not realistic. But to continue to pretend a guy who is underperforming his contract was the right move, when the evidence is clearly to the contract, is poor management.

Tank’s contract is a lot like Dez’ and his contract. You can give a player a little bit of benefit of the doubt when he has proven himself like Dez did, but that only goes so far. If Tank’s contract is guaranteed for injury only like Jaylon’s was, Tank may very well be the next domino to fall.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those mushrooms sure are making ya persistent, I see. Well I can't wait for you to eat crow next spring.

Oh please. You'll be on to the next thing that you mistakenly think 'you know about' and will try to forget it ever happened. The pattern is clear.

Verdict

Reaction score
It depends. Once Jaylon was cut, you have guys talking about cutting Collins and replacing him with Steel because Collins makes more money. They are not looking at individual play they see the team has some success and start targeting guys that have decent contracts.

That’s what a good team should do—evaluate options. They should do it dispassionately.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Oh please. You'll be on to the next thing that you mistakenly think 'you know about' and will try to forget it ever happened. The pattern is clear.
Dalton Schultz is NOT getting eight figures a year AAV this coming spring. I'll bet the entire aisle of alcohol on it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Actually, there were plenty of fans calling for Jaylon to be cut for quite some time, well before Dallas finally cut him. Give credit where credit is due, they were well ahead of the Cowboys.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
That’s what a good team should do—evaluate options. They should do it dispassionately.

I'm sorry, cutting more talented players for less talent players when you're trying to contend is absolutely not what good teams do.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Actually, there were plenty of fans calling for Jaylon to be cut for quite some time, well before Dallas finally cut him. Give credit where credit is due, they were well ahead of the Cowboys.

Jaylon yes, I'm talking about La'el.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
And welch on the bet when you're wrong.
I won't need to welch... Dalton Schultz is NOT getting that kind of contract. TEs, SSs, ILBs are not high paid positions, and Schultz is not a top tier name... Gallup on the other hand... that's a different story.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I'm sorry, cutting more talented players for less talent players when you're trying to contend is absolutely not what good teams do.
You are correct People worry about what players are paid. there is nothing they can do about it.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The cap has killed the Cowboys, but I guess it was good for teams who didn't want to pay people but drafted good like New England.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We have several players on this team with huge contracts. The first thing we as fans say is that they're making too much when their production isn't adding up.

In the process of said player EARNING said contract, they had to perform in a certain way to get paid, in which we ALL were happy while they made great plays.

Now, in the NFL we have something that's called MARKET VALUE, which is the value of the top players at that position. We fail to realize as the market is set, this is near or above what the player will be asking the team for.

We're fools to think that a player playing at a high level is going to take less than market value. Yet once said player is digressing in his play, we complain that he's overpaid.

What is the team supposed to do allow these players just to walk? I'm aware that we can't pay everyone big money, but we will have to spend and we have an owner who likes to spend!

With that said we have to monitor how we say OVERPAID, your thoughts please!!!
Good luck. People dont understand it. However if we keep winning, alot of that talk should die down

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are correct People worry about what players are paid. there is nothing they can do about it.

Your comments have no impact on what the Cowboys do on the field either. You should leave. By your own standards.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That's the cost we pay because of someone else setting the market, I'm not happy with it either, I don't think he impacts the game enough to make that much
I think they have extended him before tagging him. I get that you want to see him do it again, but the longer you wait, the more you pay

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did not know Jonnu Smith was getting paid like that.

I know. The actual numbers are shockingly high.

And then compare Schultz' productivity numbers to several of those names? He's going to cost a bundle in free agency.