News: We are the 4th most penalized team through 7 games

Doomsday101

Reaction score
in both Cowboy loses we had 10 penalties vs Tampa and Eagles. on avg Cowboys will get about 6 penalties a game

Reactions: BAT

Silverz1972

Reaction score
It’s the same guys getting the same penalties.

The aggressive penalties I don’t have as much of a problem with. A few of those were questionable. The mental ones are the ones that I worry about.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Yep .......whatever they did, it ain't working (lol)

MM needs to remember, this is what p___ed Jerry off last season.

Yup. Even if we made it to the NFC Championship, but lose due to a lot of penalties, could definitely see Jerry pulling the cord.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is the bane of McCarthy's tenure with Cowboys.

McCarthy made promise after promise to fix the penalties issue season after season.

He is a con man.
cant stick his arm up a player's backside and make them puppets, he can go over it all he wants, these are grown millionaires and that's NOT ON A Coach. BTW Seattle led the league in penalty's the year they won a sb. Parcells Cowboys teams were also highly penalized.

sorry im not putting this on a HC, this isn't college or worse HS where you can bench or replace player. Get real, get woke,..,shizzle happens. Move on..

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
cant stick his arm up a player's backside and make them puppets, he can go over it all he wants, these are grown millionaires and that's NOT ON A Coach. BTW Seattle led the league in penalty's the year they won a sb. Parcells Cowboys teams were also highly penalized.

sorry im not putting this on a HC, this isn't college or worse HS where you can bench or replace player. Get real, get woke,..,shizzle happens. Move on..

LOL

I'm thinking you've never managed teams before.

plasticman

Reaction score
Well, technically, I suppose they improved.

But what bothers me is the fact that the Cowboys opponents have been penalized more often for almost the same yardage.

So Cowboys games are heavily penalized not only by the Cowboys themselves but their opponents?

Do you think this has anything to do with the number of Cowboys games that ae nationally televised?

JBond

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm surprised, expected to be in the middle of the pack.

Of course, we were 1st last season, so we are seeing improvement BUT not nearly enough. Three penalties, false starts, offensive holding, and offside are killing us. In context, the Eagles are near the bottom. We gotta clean this up......don't know how but MM better figure it out.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html?yr=2022

https://www.nflpenalties.com

20 of the penalties happened in 2 games. I included a little different breakdown. You can click on Dallas for a game by game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only three teams have more false starts and no one has more offside calls. Pre snap penalties are entirely on you.
tenor.gif

LysleE

Reaction score
Looks like all the hard coaching MM did in reducing penalties during off-season and training camp paid dividends…penalties seem to be in this team’s DNA. Whenever the Cowboys make a big play on offense, defense or special teams I check for penalty flags before I celebrate.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well, technically, I suppose they improved.

But what bothers me is the fact that the Cowboys opponents have been penalized more often for almost the same yardage.

So Cowboys games are heavily penalized not only by the Cowboys themselves but their opponents?

Do you think this has anything to do with the number of Cowboys games that ae nationally televised?

Here's a better question.....do you think NFL officials are influenced by this?

T-RO

Reaction score
Lot of folks don't like Dallas as a concept. Occam's Razor makes it easy to see why this happens year after year.

DanA

Reaction score
I actually think it needs to be looked at a bit more nuanced. You look at our defence and the penalties our opponents are committing. In terms of penalty benefit, we rank:
  • 1st for false starts
  • 1st for intentional grounding
  • 8th for offensive holding
That's the pass rush. The flip side in terms of penalties against we are:
  • 31st for defensive offside
  • 31st for neutral zone infractions
  • 28th for unnecessary roughness
  • 27th for roughing the passer
I'll take that trade off considering the problem our pass rush is causing. The one area we need to improve is unsportsmanlike conduct. Our defense have three of them which is worst in the league.

In terms of the offense, the one penalty we are high on is false starts (28th in league). To me that's not surprising as it's a very inexperienced offensive line and we've had a backup QB most of the season. Our penalty leaders are Tyler Smith, Terrence Steele and Peyton Hendershot and I feel like the two rookies get a bit of a pass (but are expected to improve). Rookies IMO deserve a bit of rope adjusting to the league. Steele is different, I don't think that's growing pains like the rookies but a part of who he is. If you watch, he's consistently first out of his stance when pass blocking, and I think he cheats a little because he knows pass blocking is a weakness. I can live with the trade off for know (overall he's played quite well) but you'd like to see him improve over time.

Last edited:

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak was hit in the head in the Chicago game. No flag. All I ask is that the game is called right. A hold is a hold no matter who commits it. Forget about who's playing, what time of day it is and who's watching. Call it right.

Sydla

Reaction score
The amount of stupid penalties we make is mindnumbing. Now maybe many teams have the same ratio of dumb penalties but the stupid crap like offsides on third downs, illegal motions, 12 guys in the huddle, etc. has got to stop.