We Have Great Players - Why Aren't We Great...?

followthestar

Reaction score
Hos had a very nice and optimistic thread, and I am of like mind when it comes to our strengths at the skill positions, etc. With all the great players who have worn the Star recently, we've always managed to underachieve. So, if it isn't the players, it must be the coaching, right?

We've shuffled the coaching staff this offseason, and I can only hope they manage to instill the kind of passion and work ethic it will take to bring out the best in this team. Winning isn't just about players, or scheme, or coaching alone. Its about "chemistry" or the elusive mix of ingredients that leads to a trophy.

I can only pray (and I do) that we've finally found the answers. That JG has enough play-calling experience to maximize our talent. That our veterans can show the leadership we seem to be missing. That our youngsters can pick up their games and contribute when called upon. And that we have regained the confidence as an organization to go from playoff-caliber to championship team.

I get excited every year as the season approaches, and this year is no different. Lets end this stretch of being an also-ran. Let's give Cowboys fans the right once again to say we're America's Team - and mean it...

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The talent's been overrated. We've been a weak team in the trenches for years and years. We remain weak today, IMO. Until that changes expect to be flabbergasted at the end results every year.

The key to next season, other than staying healthy of course, lies with the play of Livings, Costa/Kowalski/Arkin/Nagy, Bernadeau, Free, Lissemore, Brent, Hatcher, maybe even Crawford.

As they go, we go.

Sampson

Reaction score
We have talent. I think consitency and injuries are the key. If the guys we have can play their best consistently and we dont lose guys to injury then we will have something special.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
The team is missing a Michael Irvin type that wills the rest of his team mates to play at the next level. Maybe one of these rookies we picked up, or Hamilton can be that guy.

RS12

Reaction score
11-53 average to below. 1-10 talented.

popp1234

Reaction score
Risen Star;4559751 said:
The talent's been overrated. We've been a weak team in the trenches for years and years. We remain weak today, IMO. Until that changes expect to be flabbergasted at the end results every year.

The key to next season, other than staying healthy of course, lies with the play of Livings, Costa/Kowalski/Arkin/Nagy, Bernadeau, Free, Lissemore, Brent, Hatcher, maybe even Crawford.

As they go, we go.

I would add Spencer as an honorable mention to that list also.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
muck4doo;4559755 said:
The team is missing a Michael Irvin type that wills the rest of his team mates to play at the next level. Maybe one of these rookies we picked up, or Hamilton can be that guy.

Compare this team to the 90's teams. Now, of course you'll never duplicate that but that's not the point. Where is this team most different than that team? The line play. We excelled along the OL and DL in the 90's. Today we try to "get by" and be average.

All teams have some flaws but we're good enough everywhere else to contend. We are not good enough at the line of scrimmage. Either unheralded players emerge there this year or we have no shot for another year.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Risen Star;4559766 said:
Compare this team to the 90's teams. Now, of course you'll never duplicate that but that's not the point. Where is this team most different than that team? The line play. We excelled along the OL and DL in the 90's. Today we try to "get by" and be average.

All teams have some flaws but we're good enough everywhere else to contend. We are not good enough at the line of scrimmage. Either unheralded players emerge there this year or we have no shot for another year.

FWIW, I think you're 100% spot on with this assessment. I am, however, cautiously optimistic that the line play will improve this season on both sides of the ball with some of our off-season additions in both the draft and FA. Only time will tell.

nablives

Reaction score
Risen Star;4559751 said:

I agree with that.

I think depth overall has been an issue too. They can't have drafts like the one in 2009, and expect to be competitive year in, year out. The ramifications for bad drafts are too significant for a mediocre team like Dallas to overcome.

NorTex

Reaction score
Our problem has been a lack of consistent vision from the top and short term coaches. Parcells had us on a great track and then Jerry went and got Owens and that was the end of a great coach. Yet Parcells' players and the toughness he instilled in him paid dividends in 2007.

Then Jerry went and got Roy Willy and also blew 2 vital draft picks, which then led to a horrible 2009 draft and leaving us weak as a team.

Garrett needs at least another year to get this mess cleaned up...it's looking good though, imho.

:starspin

John813

Reaction score
Having Talented players at skill positions means very little when you constantly lose the battle in the trenches.

Ware can only do so much when the front three consistent of two stiffs and Ratliff.

Romo can only do so much when he is scrambling for his life after the line can't block worth a damn

etc...

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nablives;4559838 said:
I agree with that.

I think depth overall has been an issue too. They can't have drafts like the one in 2009, and expect to be competitive year in, year out. The ramifications for bad drafts are too significant for a mediocre team like Dallas to overcome.

2009 was the worst I've seen since our vaunted 1995 draft for backups class. But a one year brainfart won't completely destroy the depth of a team.

Look at 2008. A year where we had two first round picks and most walked away from it thinking we did pretty good. Well, let's review it now.

1(22) Felix Jones RB Arkansas
1(25) Mike Jenkins CB South Florida
2(61) Martellus Bennett TE Texas A&M
4(122) Tashard Choice RB Georgia Tech
5(143) Orlando Scandrick CB Boise St.
6(167) Erik Walden OLB Middle Tennessee St.

3 of those 6 players aren't on the team anymore. Both first round picks are good players but I'd argue neither will be with the team after this season. They've both been replaced on the roster already. Leaving only Scandrick remaining from the class. A guy who will remain buried on the depth chart.

How good is that class really? Two first round picks should give you more bang for your buck than that.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Because we also had players like Costa, Kosier, Coleman, James, Brooking, Newman, Scandrick, etc.

nablives

Reaction score
Risen Star;4559854 said:
2009 was the worst I've seen since our vaunted 1995 draft for backups class. But a one year brainfart won't completely destroy the depth of a team.

Look at 2008. A year where we had two first round picks and most walked away from it thinking we did pretty good. Well, let's review it now.

1(22) Felix Jones RB Arkansas
1(25) Mike Jenkins CB South Florida
2(61) Martellus Bennett TE Texas A&M
4(122) Tashard Choice RB Georgia Tech
5(143) Orlando Scandrick CB Boise St.
6(167) Erik Walden OLB Middle Tennessee St.

3 of those 6 players aren't on the team anymore. Both first round picks are good players but I'd argue neither will be with the team after this season. They've both been replaced on the roster already. Leaving only Scandrick remaining from the class. A guy who will remain buried on the depth chart.

How good is that class really? Two first round picks should give you more bang for your buck than that.

:laugh2:

Don't get me started on my evaluation of the Cowboys front office and what they've done in regards to talent acquisition, especially since Bill left.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I am going to answer this in an offbeat way, so please forgive me. I was never going to share this with the forum, but I did with the staff already. This thread asks a great question and I am changing my mind on my intentions here.

TEAM
me

I submitted that to the Dallas Cowboys this year for Mike Woicik. I doubt he will use it. I want to make that clear, so no one can claim this is about my ego. I didn't come up with this and I don't think they will use it. I am sure they have other mottos of their own. But in case we see it, I want you to know where it comes from. Back in college this was our motto and it was started by our head trainer and endorsed by our Head Coach who is a Hall of Famer at the college level.

If you notice the word team is all capitalized and me is lower case. Team is also a larger font. We translated this to be...

The TEAM is bigger than me.

Talent means nothing if it is used selfishly. This is why Terrell Owens has never and will never win a title. For all of his other worldly talent, he is ME over team.

Unfortunately we have had just enough players who felt this way and others on the downhill slide of their careers that it has not allowed us to achieve what we all crave.

Winning is entirely about chemistry together. From the top down. I posted a thread the other day about when the players bought in to Landry's systems things changed. That is where it has to start. There is no short cut. Sustained winning is about sacrifice, commitment, focus, and loyalty. We had a player who exuded all those things in Keith Brooking, but he was at the tail end of a magnificent career. In steps a SEan lee and it has positive effects.

Now we have to see sustained efforts like that everywhere. Charlie Waters told a story that I shared a while back about Landry's rules and how he and Cliff were enforcers in Practice. If guys sloughed off they got knocked upside the head. We are finally seeing some of that come back to this team and it is entirely about putting the team ahead of self.

That is why Jason Garrett is a revelation for us. Look at the quality of the individuals coming here and I don't just mean players like Kyle Orton and Dan Connor. I consider Jerome Henderson to potentially be the most positive influence on this team in 2012. I felt the same about Jimmy Robinson in 2011 along with Matt Eberflus. Callahan will be crucial here.

The coaches, to a man, buy into this. The players are arriving there. Talent will catch up and this team will turn that corner. I do believe interior OL is our weak point, but I am in a wait and see pattern on what Woicik can do, and what the 2 FAs can add here. If the team has analyzed them right we could be in for something wonderful.

The right kind of guys matter. We are acquiring them at all levels and the team is becoming bigger than the players. Success will follow.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Hostile, nice lesson in that post. Every player should be forced to read that before every practice. They either demonstrate the belief in this and execute accordingly or go elsewhere...

Thanks for sharing.:)