We Have Great Players - Why Aren't We Great...?

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Hos is exactly right...the need to work together in unison toward a common goal...talent helps but all the talent in the world is useless without direction.

Direction provides purpose and purpose defines achievements and achievements sets goals.

The Cowboys were setting the goal of a Superbowl but they had no direction.

it was never going to work now they are doing things the right way...it's a process and it takes the right kind of guys to do it.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hostile;4559890 said:
I am going to answer this in an offbeat way, so please forgive me. I was never going to share this with the forum, but I did with the staff already. This thread asks a great question and I am changing my mind on my intentions here.

TEAM
me

I submitted that to the Dallas Cowboys this year for Mike Woicik. I doubt he will use it. I want to make that clear, so no one can claim this is about my ego. I didn't come up with this and I don't think they will use it. I am sure they have other mottos of their own. But in case we see it, I want you to know where it comes from. Back in college this was our motto and it was started by our head trainer and endorsed by our Head Coach who is a Hall of Famer at the college level.

If you notice the word team is all capitalized and me is lower case. Team is also a larger font. We translated this to be...

The TEAM is bigger than me.

Talent means nothing if it is used selfishly. This is why Terrell Owens has never and will never win a title. For all of his other worldly talent, he is ME over team.

Unfortunately we have had just enough players who felt this way and others on the downhill slide of their careers that it has not allowed us to achieve what we all crave.

Winning is entirely about chemistry together. From the top down. I posted a thread the other day about when the players bought in to Landry's systems things changed. That is where it has to start. There is no short cut. Sustained winning is about sacrifice, commitment, focus, and loyalty. We had a player who exuded all those things in Keith Brooking, but he was at the tail end of a magnificent career. In steps a SEan lee and it has positive effects.

Now we have to see sustained efforts like that everywhere. Charlie Waters told a story that I shared a while back about Landry's rules and how he and Cliff were enforcers in Practice. If guys sloughed off they got knocked upside the head. We are finally seeing some of that come back to this team and it is entirely about putting the team ahead of self.

That is why Jason Garrett is a revelation for us. Look at the quality of the individuals coming here and I don't just mean players like Kyle Orton and Dan Connor. I consider Jerome Henderson to potentially be the most positive influence on this team in 2012. I felt the same about Jimmy Robinson in 2011 along with Matt Eberflus. Callahan will be crucial here.

The coaches, to a man, buy into this. The players are arriving there. Talent will catch up and this team will turn that corner. I do believe interior OL is our weak point, but I am in a wait and see pattern on what Woicik can do, and what the 2 FAs can add here. If the team has analyzed them right we could be in for something wonderful.

The right kind of guys matter. We are acquiring them at all levels and the team is becoming bigger than the players. Success will follow.

I have brought this up before but it tails very well with Hos' post:

When Vince Lombardi came to Green Bay in 1959 6 future HoFers were already on the team but that team had sucked for several years even with all that talent.

Lombardi came in and got them to play as a TEAM, added some key defensive players and away they went on the road to 5 championships in 9 years. They had talent before he got there but it wasn't until they bought into his philosophy and started playing as a TEAM that they began to win games.

I'm hoping Jason Garrett can be that kind of head coach, a guy that can get these players to buy into his system and play as a team rather than simply a collection of talent. I see some of that happening already but the leaders on the team need to step up and hold the others accountable (like Waters & Harris did).

Cleaning house of the "ME FIRST" players that Jerry is so fond of was the beginning. Bringing in quality men, both in the coaching staff and on the field, was the next step. Now this team needs to buy into Jason's system and start playing as a TEAM.

When that happens we will get some more Lombardis to put in the trophy case! :starspin

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
They do need to be a team first. You also have to have consistency in the staff. Once you have that the team needs to buy into it.

Great players.
Consistent staff.
Team concept.
Wins.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
We have been fundamentally flawed at key positions.

Bradie James, Keith Brooking, Alan Ball, Phil Costa, Marcus Spears, Kenyon Coleman and Terrence Newman have all started significant time over the last couple of years.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
To me the Cowboys play stupid at the absolute worst point of games. It always seems to cost us several games a year. Mental errors. And for as long as I have been watching them there is absolutely no killer instinct in this team. They try to coast & end up getting bit in the butt.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Cowboys have the "here we go again" attitude. They expect things to go bad and when it happens to them they quit.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Here’s my reasons.

1. Struggled to get a really good D-Coordinator

I was not a fan of Zimmer and I’m not even sure he’s all that great of a D-Coordinator now (remember, he does have Marvin Lewis as his head coach). Either way, he was never that good in Dallas. We then went thru the entire Brian Stewart/Wade Phillips deal. I think Wade is a good D-Coordinator, but when he’s the head coach I don’t think he can sustain good defenses, which is exactly what happened here. Rob Ryan did improve the defense last year, but that’s because it had a L-O-N-G way to go.

2. Poor job of meshing skill sets of players

We do have some great players, but we often saddle them with players who do not compliment them well. We always look at cover corners, but we never seem to see that if your corners can’t tackle, then teams will go after them in the run game. And that makes the OLB’s job tougher because they have to be more conscious of the outside run plays. When it comes to getting talent, we can do it. But, we fail to see the forest for the trees so it confuses people when they see talent out there, but don’t understand why the team is unsuccessful.

3. Lack of sense of urgency.

We’ve lacked this for a long time. I think we are finally seeing it now since Romo came off the injury. I put a lot of the blame on Romo for this since he has kinda directed the team in the ‘we’ll get ‘em next time’ type of attitude. I think that went away last year, which is a good thing. But in previous years, particularly with Wade’s laid back approach, it was a real problem.

4. Dumb Players, All Around

Enough said. How many times does Ware have to jump offsides before he gets it? How many times will we see offensive players who don’t know the play? How many times can Romo throw away games? How many times can our secondary look completely out of position before the snap?

5. Soft players

The entire league knows that if you punch the Cowboys in the face first, they’ll be rattled and never be the same.

6. Lack of avoiding the big, negative play

We have players who can make great plays. But, they struggle to avoid the big, negative play. That’s really what the NFL is about, making the least amount of negative plays. Like Tony Dungy said, 80% of the games are lost, not won.

I think Garrett has addressed some of these things, but others I really don’t see the progress being made in other areas. I think it’s too bad because I would like to see Witten and Romo have some serious success here, but I think it’s going to be too little, too late for them.

YR

burmafrd

Reaction score
We are proof that you can have great skills players but if you do not have the line play to match them....

popp1234

Reaction score
What makes a player "great"? Maybe being a great player means more than just being athletically gifted. If that's all it is, then we've had that cornered for quite some time.

Some of the greatest players I've seen were not necessarily the most athletically gifted. They were football smart, mentally tough, afraid to LOSE, a will to WIN, self-starters, students of the game, team oriented, etc.

Do we have players on this team that possess those qualities? Yes. Do we have enough? No.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
First of all, the talent has been overrated. But more importantly, the "great" players we have are not leaders. And I contend it is because of a lack of pedigree in our best players. Keep in mind, I don't have a problem with the lack of pedigree, but I think the lack of pedigree is why they are not leaders. When you think of the pedigree of Jay Ratliff (7th round), Tony Romo (undrafted), Miles Austin (7th or undrafted), DeMarcus (tiny school) etc....Troy Aikam was THE #1 overall pick. Much was expected of him...he has been in the spotlight and was under pressure and was relied upon to be "the guy" since high school. Michel Irvin went to the U(nuff said). Emmit Smith upon his arrival toured Cowboy stadium and declared he would lead the NFL in rushing one day. Our best players are from such humble beginnings that they were not even sure they would make the team...let alone become the best players on the most visible franchise in the NFL. And far too often Miles, and Tony and DeMarcus have struck me as guys that were consumed with JUST doing their job...and I really think they never envisioned themselves having to carry the Dallas Cowboys. I don't dislike the "yes sir, no sir" kind of guys. But you have to have guys with confidence and WANT the responsibility of performing when the lights are bright. Guys that inspire lesser players to perform above their talent level because of the respect they command...because their teamates don't want to let them down. And our best players simply do not have these qualites.

Anytime a broke down on his last legs Keith Brooking can come into the Dallas Cowboy lockeroom and immediatley become the guy players look to as a leader...there is your proof of how big the leadership hole is in this lockeroom. I mean we are not talking Ray Lewis here. We are talking Keith Brooking. And before that is was Zach Thomas. And before that it was Terrell Owens. All of these guys are gone now...Jerry has stroked the big checks for DeMarcus, Tony, Jay, Witten, Miles etc....THESE guys have to understand that with that money comes a responsibility of elevating lesser teamates....making sure guys are accountable....making sure guys respect them and the point they are at in their careers....it's called leadership...and as much as I hope it is not true...these guys may just be who they are...and it is too late to change.

popp1234

Reaction score
bbailey423;4560556 said:
First of all, the talent has been overrated. But more importantly, the "great" players we have are not leaders. And I contend it is because of a lack of pedigree in our best players. Keep in mind, I don't have a problem with the lack of pedigree, but I think the lack of pedigree is why they are not leaders. When you think of the pedigree of Jay Ratliff (7th round), Tony Romo (undrafted), Miles Austin (7th or undrafted), DeMarcus (tiny school) etc....Troy Aikam was THE #1 overall pick. Much was expected of him...he has been in the spotlight and was under pressure and was relied upon to be "the guy" since high school. Michel Irvin went to the U(nuff said). Emmit Smith upon his arrival toured Cowboy stadium and declared he would lead the NFL in rushing one day. Our best players are from such humble beginnings that they were not even sure they would make the team...let alone become the best players on the most visible franchise in the NFL. And far too often Miles, and Tony and DeMarcus have struck me as guys that were consumed with JUST doing their job...and I really think they never envisioned themselves having to carry the Dal[/B]las Cowboys. I don't dislike the "yes sir, no sir" kind of guys. But you have to have guys with confidence and WANT the responsibility of performing when the lights are bright. Guys that inspire lesser players to perform above their talent level because of the respect they command...because their teamates don't want to let them down. And our best players simply do not have these qualites.

Anytime a broke down on his last legs Keith Brooking can come into the Dallas Cowboy lockeroom and immediatley become the guy players look to as a leader...there is your proof of how big the leadership hole is in this lockeroom. I mean we are not talking Ray Lewis here. We are talking Keith Brooking. And before that is was Zach Thomas. And before that it was Terrell Owens. All of these guys are gone now...Jerry has stroked the big checks for DeMarcus, Tony, Jay, Witten, Miles etc....THESE guys have to understand that with that money comes a responsibility of elevating lesser teamates....making sure guys are accountable....making sure guys respect them and the point they are at in their careers....it's called leadership...and as much as I hope it is not true...these guys may just be who they are...and it is too late to change.

You make some good points, but I respectfully disagree on the your statement depicted in bold.

Tony playing with broken ribs and punctured lung is NOT just doing his job. I don't think anybody realistically expected him to not only play in the Skins game, but to basically carry the team on his shoulder. Not to mention the comeback he orchestrated in the SF game after being knocked out.

Dware: Saints game? Seeing him on the field the guy gives it everything. Probably the best pass rusher and all-around lb in the league. You don't earn that by just doing your job. :)

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Every year is different. Last two years the biggest reason is we had an Achiellies heal weakness that couldn't be compensated for, that being pass efficiency defense.

popp1234

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4560599 said:
Every year is different. Last two years the biggest reason is we had an Achiellies heal weakness that couldn't be compensated for, that being pass defense.

Last year was the freaking twilight zone.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
popp1234;4560577 said:
You make some good points, but I respectfully disagree on the your statement depicted in bold.

Tony playing with broken ribs and punctured lung is NOT just doing his job. I don't think anybody realistically expected him to not only play in the Skins game, but to basically carry the team on his shoulder. Not to mention the comeback he orchestrated in the SF game after being knocked out.

Dware: Saints game? Seeing him on the field the guy gives it everything. Probably the best pass rusher and all-around lb in the league. You don't earn that by just doing your job. :)
maybe I was not clear as I should have been. But Troy Aikman commanded respect by the way he carried himself...also, because of his pedigree...respect was built in. They "stuff' Tony has had to endure as the franchise QB of the Dallas Cowboys Troy never had or would go through. Michael Irvin or other teammates would not allow it. As for DWare...think about the respect Charles Haley had on BOTH sides of the ball and the front office. Do you remember the 93 Super Bowl team. Emmit Smith was holding out. The Cowboys started 0-2. In the post game locker room. Charles Haley put a hole in the wall and basically told Jerry to get Emmit signed. Does DeMarcus seem like they type that would get in anyones face? Does he seem like the type that would let Terrance Newman know his attempt at making a tackle was subpar. Or him playing 15 yards of the LOS on 3rd and 4 was unacceptable? He seems like a guy content to smile, make a ton of money and rack up tons of sacks. All I am saying is the we need MORE from these guys. The money they are getting paid is not just for TDs thrown or sacks delievered. These guys do not inspired their teamates to perform at a high level and I don't think they have it in them to elevate lesser teammates.

popp1234

Reaction score
bbailey423;4560609 said:
maybe I was not clear as I should have been. But Troy Aikman commanded respect by the way he carried himself...also, because of his pedigree...respect was built in. They "stuff' Tony has had to endure as the franchise QB of the Dallas Cowboys Troy never had or would go through. Michael Irvin or other teammates would not allow it. As for DWare...think about the respect Charles Haley had on BOTH sides of the ball and the front office. Do you remember the 93 Super Bowl team. Emmit Smith was holding out. The Cowboys started 0-2. In the post game locker room. Charles Haley put a hole in the wall and basically told Jerry to get Emmit signed. Does DeMarcus seem like they type that would get in anyones face? Does he seem like the type that would let Terrance Newman know his attempt at making a tackle was subpar. Or him playing 15 yards of the LOS on 3rd and 4 was unacceptable? He seems like a guy content to smile, make a ton of money and rack up tons of sacks. All I am saying is the we need MORE from these guys. The money they are getting paid is not just for TDs thrown or sacks delievered. These guys do not inspired their teamates to perform at a high level and I don't think they have it in them to elevate lesser teammates.

I think at this point in their careers they are what they are leadership wise, unfortunately. This "I lead by example" style only applies to people who want to follow the example you set. We all know some people need a kick in the rear sometimes.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
THUMPER;4560488 said:
I have brought this up before but it tails very well with Hos' post:

When Vince Lombardi came to Green Bay in 1959 6 future HoFers were already on the team but that team had sucked for several years even with all that talent.

Lombardi came in and got them to play as a TEAM, added some key defensive players and away they went on the road to 5 championships in 9 years. They had talent before he got there but it wasn't until they bought into his philosophy and started playing as a TEAM that they began to win games.

I'm hoping Jason Garrett can be that kind of head coach, a guy that can get these players to buy into his system and play as a team rather than simply a collection of talent. I see some of that happening already but the leaders on the team need to step up and hold the others accountable (like Waters & Harris did).

Cleaning house of the "ME FIRST" players that Jerry is so fond of was the beginning. Bringing in quality men, both in the coaching staff and on the field, was the next step. Now this team needs to buy into Jason's system and start playing as a TEAM.

When that happens we will get some more Lombardis to put in the trophy case! :starspin

The team concept is always part of it. The rest is coaching. He molded players esp Gregg, Kramer, Taylor, Starr, and Ray Nitschke then used them and others to maximize their talents esp Gregg and Kramer. It's not just coaching them up and teamwork. It's putting players in a position to succeed using their strengths and if you can minimizing weaknesses. There is no GB sweep without fast and athletic guards.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
bbailey423;4560609 said:

This sums up one of our problems that I've been harping about for years now - we don't have those types of players - most seem the passive type...

Sure they get disappointed after losses but I don't see them really get POed, and as we know anger is a great motivator.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
jobberone;4560672 said:
The team concept is always part of it. The rest is coaching. He molded players esp Gregg, Kramer, Taylor, Starr, and Ray Nitschke then used them and others to maximize their talents esp Gregg and Kramer. It's not just coaching them up and teamwork. It's putting players in a position to succeed using their strengths and if you can minimizing weaknesses. There is no GB sweep without fast and athletic guards.

I totally agree. Garrett & Remus need to utilize these players to maximize their abilities. That was the great thing about Don Shula, he designed schemes around the key players he had. Unitas in the 60s, Csonka & Kiick in the 70s, Marino in the 80s.

Landry did it a bit differently in that he drafted specifically for certain types of players and skillsets to fit HIS system. It can work either way as long as you know what you are doing and can get the players to buy into it.

I think the lack of confidence in the coaching staff has caused a lot of players to not buy into their systems. Switzer didn't know what the heck he was trying to do, Gailey wanted to run a system that we didn't have the players for and seemed incapable of making an adjustment. Campo was an idiot. Parcells had "old man's disease", coaching from fear, "Playing not to lose" rather than "Playing to win". Wade was in over his head, again! And now we have Jason Garrett.

I like some of the things I see from Garrett but some others are real head-scratchers. Overall, I like the direction the team is going but we need to see dramatic improvement this season, especially from the defense and that means Remus needs to either sell his system to the players or adjust it to what we have. Either way he needs to do a much better job of utilizing the skills that are available and motivating the players to exceed their perceived limitations and laziness.

Great coaches convince the players that they know what they are doing and get them to buy into the system but that means hat that really do need to know what they want to do as well as how to get there. Landry's systems were complex and difficult to master but once the right players were in place and bought into it we went on a 20 year run of winning seasons!

Garrett needs to look like he knows what he is dong more than he does so far and have a plan for getting there. Hopefully we will see that this year. Same for Ryan.