We Have Won Only 6 Games With Less Than 100 Yards Rushing With Dak As Starting QB Since 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swagger

Reaction score
Justin Herbert already has led his team to more wins having less than 100 rushing yards of support than Dak.

So has....

Mahomes, Josh Allen (Josh Allen lead his team to 7 wins in 2020 alone without 100 yards of rushing support), Joe Burrow (Did it 6 times last year and already once this season), Matt Stafford did it 3 straight games in a row in the playoffs from the divisional round to the Super Bowl.

Those are just a few that I decided to look up.

When you have an actual great QB you don't have to rely on your run game. It's a problem for the Cowboys right now.
Interesting and effectively backs up why you pay some guys the big bucks and not others.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If my research is not correct, and if not somebody will surely point it out, then please correct me if I am wrong here.

But, according to PFR Week 11 of 2019 against the 3-6-1 Detroit Lions is the last time we won a game with less than 100 rushing yards with Dak at QB.

Andy Dalton lead us to victory in Week 15 of 2020 with under 100 yards of rushing support.

Cooper Rush lead us to victory in his lone start against the Vikings in 2021 without 100 rushing yards of support.

When/If Dak comes back it is absolutely necessary that we continue to keep the rush game going and balanced if we want to win games and be successful more consistently. We cannot give up on the run quickly and we must limit the ability for Dak to audible out of plays so much if we want to have success. There NEEDS to be a balance and that needs to come from both the play calling and Dak sticking to the runs instead of audibling out of them as he has been known to do.
Uhhh, you forgot to mention WHY we have ran less in recent years.

ANSWER: the Oline has been bad

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
No. You are giving all the credit to the QB.

Which is funny because you give none to the QB of the team you apparently cheer for.

You should be a politician with all the spinning and twisting of words you do. You are very gifted at it.

Tell me. How does a QB lead the defense? Because let me tell you. Buffalo, Rams, Cincy, Tampa. All have pretty great defenses.

Whats also absolutely hilarious to me is that you posted the other day about Cooper Rush and his 3 GWD record.

Meanwhile we had a conversation where we agreed ( i know crazy right ) that QBs shouldnt be praised for GWD because the whole team is part of that.

Yet. If it aint Dak doing it. Praise him.
his nick name is turkish dervish.....he spins like one :rolleyes:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I think the way you pretend to play the fence with Dak is a good effort, but when you get emotional the true feelings come out about Dak.

Again, this post wasn't for the posters like yourself. This post was for the reasonable folk around here.
you arew too funny. you start to lose an argument and you immediately go to your "you are being emotional" card.

next is pulling out your insults cards.

quite predictable

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Chiefs are 20-13 when they have less than 100 rushing since Mahomes took over in 2018.

Now, Mahomes has missed some games too, so the record could be different with him. That's just what they are overall.
so you seem upset that Dak is not Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers? is that the gripe? why are you comparing Dak to those QBs? everyone agrees Dak is not those type of Elite QBs....

or are you just griping for the sake of griping?

plymkr

Reaction score
2016 - 0-1
2017 - 1-2
2018 - 3-5
2019 - 2-4 (The last time we did it with Dak)
2020 - 1-5 (Andy Dalton)
2021 - 1-6 (1-0 with Rush and 0-6 with Dak)
2022 - 0-1

Basically, last year alone we lost as many games (0-6) with Dak when we had less that 100 yards rushing then we've won with less than 100 yards rushing with Dak as the QB in his entire 6+ year career.
Nice research. I've said this before and I'll say it again. And I say this to not be disrespectful to Dak. Dan and Cooper are bus drivers. Dak is a more talented, athletic and expensive driver but he's still a bus driver. For this team to succeed with a bus driver, either one, we have to have a strong bus. We have to win in the trenches and get TOs. I personally feel for this season Dak gives us the best chance to win. Moving forward we have to decide if we want a bus driver that takes up significant cap money therefore the bus will not be as good.

When Dak comes back I'm hoping and praying he proves to be a playmaker ala Allen, Rodgers, Mahomes, Murray. If not I hope we move on from him and not extend him and draft or get a cheaper bus driver and invest in a better bus.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
2016 - 0-1
2017 - 1-2
2018 - 3-5
2019 - 2-4 (The last time we did it with Dak)
2020 - 1-5 (Andy Dalton)
2021 - 1-6 (1-0 with Rush and 0-6 with Dak)
2022 - 0-1

Basically, last year alone we lost as many games (0-6) with Dak when we had less that 100 yards rushing then we've won with less than 100 yards rushing with Dak as the QB in his entire 6+ year career.
coaching and game plans matter lol.
Also what a qb does with changing from run to pass or pass to run, reading the defense.
But I dont think many coaches see this correlation with running, being balanced or run heavy to winning.

The only team to embrace running is the ravens, and they have failed in the playoffs. I think because they could not be balanced enough in playoffs.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
so you seem upset that Dak is not Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers? is that the gripe? why are you comparing Dak to those QBs? everyone agrees Dak is not those type of Elite QBs....

or are you just griping for the sake of griping?
I only brought up the other QBs when some people started asking about the other QBs or saying things like "oh, this is a problem for all the teams blah blah blah".

You'd know this if you actually read through things before hitting reply.

Qcard

Reaction score
I have no agenda about quarterback, but after looking at the stats, this is a VERY misleading stat.

Most teams rush for 100 yards every game except those who fall way behind early.

In any case, 100 rushing yards is not that hard to get when you consider 2 running backs, a quarterback as well as end-around wide receivers all contribute to that total.

I think you are putting weight on this like the old "When Emmitt/Elliott/etc. runs for 100 yards, the Cowboys win" type of comparisons, but this stat is not the same nor is it really relevant.

The idea behind a single player running for 100 yards is that the defense is playing well or the offense is scoring a lot so there is incentive to use up the clock.

Now if you said something like 150 yards or 200 yards rushing, that might make it more interesting.

For reference, here are the Cowboys rushing averages the last 7 years ..

2021 -- 122.0 yds/game (12-5)
2020 -- 111.8 yds/game (6-10)
2019 -- 134.6 yds/game (8-8)
2018 -- 120.9 yds/game (10-6)
2017 -- 135.6 yds/game (9-7)
2016 -- 149.1 yds/game (13-3)
2015 -- 118.0 yds/game (4-12)

Source: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-yards-per-game

Most teams will run for over 100 yards when you count rushing yards for all players combined.

Now, if you want to say, "the Cowboys win when <single_player> does this" then that is a more relevant statistic.
Class Dismissed :clap:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I have no agenda about quarterback, but after looking at the stats, this is a VERY misleading stat.

Most teams rush for 100 yards every game except those who fall way behind early.

In any case, 100 rushing yards is not that hard to get when you consider 2 running backs, a quarterback as well as end-around wide receivers all contribute to that total.

I think you are putting weight on this like the old "When Emmitt/Elliott/etc. runs for 100 yards, the Cowboys win" type of comparisons, but this stat is not the same nor is it really relevant.

The idea behind a single player running for 100 yards is that the defense is playing well or the offense is scoring a lot so there is incentive to use up the clock.

Now if you said something like 150 yards or 200 yards rushing, that might make it more interesting.

For reference, here are the Cowboys rushing averages the last 7 years ..

2021 -- 122.0 yds/game (12-5)
2020 -- 111.8 yds/game (6-10)
2019 -- 134.6 yds/game (8-8)
2018 -- 120.9 yds/game (10-6)
2017 -- 135.6 yds/game (9-7)
2016 -- 149.1 yds/game (13-3)
2015 -- 118.0 yds/game (4-12)

Source: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-yards-per-game

Most teams will run for over 100 yards when you count rushing yards for all players combined.

Now, if you want to say, "the Cowboys win when <single_player> does this" then that is a more relevant statistic.
Perfectly said.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cool.

Post the stats that show how many games we crossed the 100 yard mark after we had a big lead and we'll discuss it.
Well let’s start here do you or do you not agree that good teams typically start off strong and control a lead and don’t commit penalties? Does that sound like the Cowboys at any time during the Garrett or McCarthy era?

Status
Not open for further replies.