We lost 717 snaps at DE in FA

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
IMO this is pretty significant. Sam Williams absorbing Fowler snaps gives him close to 600. Lawrence barely went over 600 snaps last year. Its unlikely they would give Williams that heavy a workload. Gholston got 300 last year, and was pretty underwhelming especially against the run.

DE is a position fans need to be open to in the first. Especially if Latu, Verse or Chop is on board

Creeper

Reaction score
I have been saying for weeks now that I think this is exactly what the Cowboys are going to do. DE is such a Jerry pick. But if one of the guys you mentioned falls to 24, it would not shock me at all to see Dallas draft him.

And as you say, they made DE another area that needs to be addressed in the draft, just like OT, OC, RB, LB and WR.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They will draft their typical 5th round DE. And tell us how they got value, because the player was not used correctly in college.

Sam Williams does not need to take all of Folwer's and Armstrong's snaps. They will find another DE in the rotation with Golston and Williams.
I also believe ODiggy can play some snaps there as well.

Do we need another top DE, yes, as DLaw's replacement needs to be found as well soon. But is this an immediate need as opposed to DT, OL, RB, LB?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have been saying for weeks now that I think this is exactly what the Cowboys are going to do. DE is such a Jerry pick. But if one of the guys you mentioned falls to 24, it would not shock me at all to see Dallas draft him.

And as you say, they made DE another area that needs to be addressed in the draft, just like OT, OC, RB, LB and WR.
Im a pro Sam Williams guy, but as it is he will be probably be getting 600 or so snaps. Given that he is an poor run defender and has had issues with penalties, I dont see that as a good play

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They will draft their typical 5th round DE. And tell us how they got value, because the player was not used correctly in college.

Sam Williams does not need to take all of Folwer's and Armstrong's snaps. They will find another DE in the rotation with Golston and Williams.

Do we need another top DE, yes, as DLaw's replacement needs to be found as well soon. But is this an immediate need as opposed to DT, OL, RB, LB?
If we took all of Fowler and Armstrongs snaps he would be well over 1000. No DE in tje NFL plays that much. Just taking Fowlers puts him at 600 which is typical for a starter.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

This is such a weak day 3, that its very unlikely a 5th round DE even makes the roster. A day 3 DE this year is basically a Poor Mans Joe Jackson

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
IMO this is pretty significant. Sam Williams absorbing Fowler snaps gives him close to 600. Lawrence barely went over 600 snaps last year. Its unlikely they would give Williams that heavy a workload. Gholston got 300 last year, and was pretty underwhelming especially against the run.

DE is a position fans need to be open to in the first. Especially if Latu, Verse or Chop is on board
You just gonna keep disrespecting Fehoka aren’t you?

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I feel like DT, OL, RB and LB are more immediate needs. But, who knows what the front office feels about it.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score

What did those 717 snaps do vs GB or for that matter the 2nd half of the season. Not much! DE’s need an upgrade to give Micah a little help.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Based on what they've done in the past that's not their MO. They like to use mid range picks on guys like Dorance Armstrong, Fehoko, etc...I can't think of the last defensive end they took in the 1st....Anthony Spencer?

exciter

Reaction score

Fowler and to a lesser extent Armstrong took snaps that should have been going to Williams. Gholston can go back to his natural position of backing up Lawrence on the strong side instead of trying to force snaps having him play 3tech at 270 pounds. They kept Wheat on the active roster and exposed the LB to waivers instead despite paper thin at the position. Guessing they’re wanting to see what they got from their developmental season from a guy who had 17 sacks in 3 seasons in the SEC. They couldn’t even get Fehoku on the game day roster!
If anything they need to look for a 3tech as there’s no one behind him currently and it’s unlikely they’re going to be able to keep him next season!

blueblood70

Reaction score

fans continue to do this you do realize we brought in guys like Fowler easily plucked out of free agency he's a dime a dozen solid player nothing special not sorry he's gone he will be replaced his snaps will be replaced much like what where was Armstrong drafted again?? You act like the dudes on this team that have been waiting their turn can't fill in those snaps Sam Williams will easily replace Armstrong not Fowler Armstrong is the one with the better stats and Sam can do that and you got other guys you mentioned plus free agency isn't over by any means there are hundreds of free agents still left after the draft there is no reason to get a defensive end in the first round whatsoever matter of fact wouldn't even bother with it until after the fourth round if even it needs to be done there are guys drafted just like on the offensive line that eventually when it's their turn they're on this team...

they will have to prove themselves but guys are going to be running here before game one there's six months to go and no first round pick is not needed at defensive end we have significant needs at three other positions for the first three rounds of this draft and defensive end is not one of them we still have our two starters we still have Sam Williams and we have other guys sitting there that you already mentioned not a big deal but more to gripe about acting as if we didn't get these other guys on the cheap easily in late rounds and in free agency which will still happen this year....

blueblood70

Reaction score
Fowler and to a lesser extent Armstrong took snaps that should have been going to Williams. Gholston can go back to his natural position of backing up Lawrence on the strong side instead of trying to force snaps having him play 3tech at 270 pounds. They kept Wheat on the active roster and exposed the LB to waivers instead despite paper thin at the position. Guessing they’re wanting to see what they got from their developmental season from a guy who had 17 sacks in 3 seasons in the SEC. They couldn’t even get Fehoku on the game day roster!
If anything they need to look for a 3tech as there’s no one behind him currently and it’s unlikely they’re going to be able to keep him next season!
I agree and the fact is we picked up a guy like Fowler in free agency low hanging fruit type deal that's gonna happen before game one... Once the draft is over like usual the front office will go get guys like Fowler that are still out there and they're gonna be cut after the draft and before game one there are a lot of guys like him available I mean everyone we lost this year are are replaceable everyone's making a big deal about it and most of them didn't even like the guys they've been waiting for them to be replace....

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dorance Armstrong wasn't a bum. Not saying they can't replace him but he for sure wasn't a bum.
Of course he's wasn't but he also wasn't a first round pick so this guy's over here we better address this in the first round acting like these two dudes can't be got with the leftover free agents before game one there'll be a lot of guys available and we have some still on this team that could fill those small roles guy like Fowler picked up easily late in free agency and Armstrong was developed there are guys on this team that can also be developed...

MikeT22

Reaction score
I agree and the fact is we picked up a guy like Fowler in free agency low hanging fruit type deal that's gonna happen before game one... Once the draft is over like usual the front office will go get guys like Fowler that are still out there and they're gonna be cut after the draft and before game one there are a lot of guys like him available I mean everyone we lost this year are are replaceable everyone's making a big deal about it and most of them didn't even like the guys they've been waiting for them to be replace....
Like I said before FA started, we are just waiting to sign guys who get cut after June 1 and during camp. Just stopgap jags that aren’t going to move the needle.