We lost 717 snaps at DE in FA

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yeah Dorance didn’t kill he with stupid penalties that’s for sure.
Sam is our 2nd best athlete at DE as of today and he is powerful, but he has been a bonehead. 100%.
All that said, Fowler collected offsides in a handful of snaps that is prodigious.
Zimmer will definitely not have the same pin your ears back boys scheme as DQ did.

The downside of above is Micah is likely going to want to get paid a premium to play for Mike lol.
That is a harder less fun job then; go kill QB.

blueblood70

Reaction score
A few notes here:
We did not lose 700 snaps at DE.
We lost 700 snaps of guys who played some DE.

Zimmer is very unlikely to run 4 DE lineups out there as DQ often did.

There were 1070 snaps on defense. Thats 2140 for 2 positions.
Micah had 864, DLaw had 612. That would leave 664 for all other DE's.
If Sam goes from 300 which made him mad for non-use to 500 then you need all of 165 snaps.

DE is not a need AT ALL.
Fehoko and a vet cheap FA will likely be expected to cover the remaining snaps at DE.
:hammer: :popcorn: Exactly like I said earlier the original poster is crazy all of a sudden we have to replace some players who we had cheap free agents and late draft picks with a first rounder literally ridiculous math defensive end is nowhere near on our radar for the first three rounds that's a fact I mean let's say do some kind of okie doke that is not a position of need no matter who pops up at 24 or even really in the second and third round... I mean do they realize where we got Fowler and Armstrong we probably have him on our team already that can make up for those snaps...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
:hammer: :popcorn: Exactly like I said earlier the original poster is crazy all of a sudden we have to replace some players who we had cheap free agents and late draft picks with a first rounder literally ridiculous math defensive end is nowhere near on our radar for the first three rounds that's a fact I mean let's say do some kind of okie doke that is not a position of need no matter who pops up at 24 or even really in the second and third round... I mean do they realize where we got Fowler and Armstrong we probably have him on our team already that can make up for those snaps...
I don't think the OP is crazy but he is looking at it like for like and the roster is definitely going to veer to bigger and more technically sound and simply professional.
Mike is not here to be your buddy or win you sack awards.
He is hard to even have a basic conversation with and is very direct and definitive in what he wants out of his defense.
He gets red in the face and screams bloody murder.
DQ patted guys on the back.
It is pretty usual to see teams go from approach to the other.

Zimmer is a jerk. Full stop.
But his teams have never been called soft or front runners.
And guys who do stay in his system end up appreciating it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I don't think the OP is crazy but he is looking at it like for like and the roster is definitely going to veer to bigger and more technically sound and simply professional.
Mike is not here to be your buddy or win you sack awards.
He is hard to even have a basic conversation with and is very direct and definitive in what he wants out of his defense.
He gets red in the face and screams bloody murder.
DQ patted guys on the back.
It is pretty usual to see teams go from approach to the other.

Zimmer is a jerk. Full stop.
But his teams have never been called soft or front runners.
And guys who do stay in his system end up appreciating it.
Look by crazy I mean he's looking at it wrong ,

when you're a GM even fake Internet GM's you would see the Dallas Cowboys have far bigger needs and giant holes that his premise is actually wrong because his math is wrong we got those guys S late draft picks that were projects IE Armstrong and we also picked up one of Dan Quinn's favorite guys who goes from team to team and Fowler has a cheap free agent pickup that is very easy too replace IMO

if you look at it from a common sense view you would see that free agency barely has just started and there are literally six months before game one in a large pool of free agents on the level of all the players that we've lost this year and that is my actual God's honest truth most of the guys we lost this year are gonna be very easy to replace because they were not elite they were not Pro Bowl type players they can be replaced except for tyron Smith but he was already three or four years past where most fans thought he should have been cut a long time ago but outside of that most of the players who have left here everyone's freaking out about will be replaced through the draft in a few weird trades like they made in the past you know we picked up hankins Gilmore and cooks with low round picks those were trades we could pick up undrafted free agents and they're good at that and then we have the draft and a large pool of free agents left to pick from this is far from over this is really only just begun that's my point they're they're freaking out over players who are very replaceable in my opinion...

conner01

Reaction score
They will draft their typical 5th round DE. And tell us how they got value, because the player was not used correctly in college.

Sam Williams does not need to take all of Folwer's and Armstrong's snaps. They will find another DE in the rotation with Golston and Williams.
I also believe ODiggy can play some snaps there as well.

Do we need another top DE, yes, as DLaw's replacement needs to be found as well soon. But is this an immediate need as opposed to DT, OL, RB, LB?
And they probably will add a vet like they did with Fowler to mix in

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Dorance Armstrong wasn't a bum. Not saying they can't replace him but he for sure wasn't a bum.
sure but i mean he hasnt been good either.
Been a non factor like the rest of that line outside of Dlaw and Parsons

Parsons takes how many double-triple teams and noone else can take advantage? Gotta move on, especially after that GB game, noone on defense is safe

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
sure but i mean he hasnt been good either.
Been a non factor like the rest of that line outside of Dlaw and Parsons

Parsons takes how many double-triple teams and noone else can take advantage? Gotta move on, especially after that GB game, noone on defense is safe
What do you mean? He had 15 sacks the last two years….he was doing his job.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I have been saying for weeks now that I think this is exactly what the Cowboys are going to do. DE is such a Jerry pick. But if one of the guys you mentioned falls to 24, it would not shock me at all to see Dallas draft him.

And as you say, they made DE another area that needs to be addressed in the draft, just like OT, OC, RB, LB and WR.
How many holes can we realistically fill in one draft?
We are also short a 4th rounder.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
I agree and the fact is we picked up a guy like Fowler in free agency low hanging fruit type deal that's gonna happen before game one... Once the draft is over like usual the front office will go get guys like Fowler that are still out there and they're gonna be cut after the draft and before game one there are a lot of guys like him available I mean everyone we lost this year are are replaceable everyone's making a big deal about it and most of them didn't even like the guys they've been waiting for them to be replace....
yup the only person that wanted fowler was DQ... not sure what we are missing here

Robster8989

Reaction score
Dorance Armstrong wasn't a bum. Not saying they can't replace him but he for sure wasn't a bum.
Agreed.
Very disrespectful to call Armstrong a bum, he's a good player.
Even Fowler had a very good pressure rate, and wouldn't fit the bum description.
We will miss Armstrong. His cap hit is under 5 mil. Would have been easy to find that. Personally I would have kept him for that.
A guy like Fowler may be easier to replace, but he's no bum either.
Edge was a strength, now it is a need, and we got a bunch of them now.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
IMO this is pretty significant. Sam Williams absorbing Fowler snaps gives him close to 600. Lawrence barely went over 600 snaps last year. Its unlikely they would give Williams that heavy a workload. Gholston got 300 last year, and was pretty underwhelming especially against the run.

DE is a position fans need to be open to in the first. Especially if Latu, Verse or Chop is on board
Stop with all these facts.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Agreed.
Very disrespectful to call Armstrong a bum, he's a good player.
Even Fowler had a very good pressure rate, and wouldn't fit the bum description.
We will miss Armstrong. His cap hit is under 5 mil. Would have been easy to find that. Personally I would have kept him for that.
A guy like Fowler may be easier to replace, but he's no bum either.
Edge was a strength, now it is a need, and we got a bunch of them now.
It wasn’t much of a strength toward the end of the season and especially during the GB demolition.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Williams will have a coming-out season and become a starter for us.
I figure he will have more than 12 sacks this coming season.
The problem lays elsewhere and the FAT with DLAW.
What happened to Williams this year?

You probably predicted 12 sacks for him this year too!

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Fowler was a progress stopper. It was time to move on. Armstrong is a solid rotational piece, but not worth 15 mil per.

It is time for Williams and Gholston to sink or swim. Fehoko might actually be a nice piece under Zimmer. High motor DE that can also potentially play inside.

This FO has got to develop some of these guys or move on next year.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
IMO this is pretty significant. Sam Williams absorbing Fowler snaps gives him close to 600. Lawrence barely went over 600 snaps last year. Its unlikely they would give Williams that heavy a workload. Gholston got 300 last year, and was pretty underwhelming especially against the run.

DE is a position fans need to be open to in the first. Especially if Latu, Verse or Chop is on board
I'd like to lose some snaps at QB

blueblood70

Reaction score
yup the only person that wanted fowler was DQ... not sure what we are missing here
don't get me wrong he's a solid player but I'm saying is those guys are available in free agency yearly he's not special he's a player with a lot of potential that never met the potential but still a very good role player..

I look around at every player we lost this year we talked about it since the Green Bay game and before they were all gone we knew they were leaving just about everybody no surprises.. Most of them are easily replaceable... And it's the oddest response is tyron leaving and I realize he's a big part of this franchise but so were a lot of good players who were actually had a lot more tread left on their tire that left here it's part of the game you lose players we thought we were probably getting rid of them every year the last four years but now it's a big deal even though they've said that he's injury prone up in age doesn't deserve big money same with all the running backs..

The responses to all the players we lost is just ridiculous I knew they were leaving and I believe they're all gonna be replaced before game one there's no reason to panic there's five plus months left to build this team with all kinds of options and free agent pool drafts and trades...