We Lost Another Cowboys Fan

HoustonSucks

Reaction score
My dad was born the day before Tom Landry. He passed away March 25th and I'm not sure how to ever watch another Cowboys game. Almost every picture as a child is me on his lap in my Cowboys gear. My first memories are him watching the games. It wasn't our whole relationship but it was one of our biggest bonds and I can't separate the two. We talked Cowboys in his last hour of life. I buried him with a Cowboys football in his arm. When I went to buy it, out of ALL the games that could have been playing in the pro shop, it was Dallas' last shellacking of the hated Texans. Dad was happy as a clam after that game.

Watching TV in his delirium in the hospital he thought he saw Tony Romo. I was told he broke chairs during our loss to the Steelers in the 70s Super Bowls. The cowboys were his love and he talked about them to the very end. I would check the zone for gossip and immediately call or tell him. I'd read him my posts which he was proud of. My dad and the Cowboys are so entwined and so a part of me I haven't been able to check this site or think. I don't know how to get through the coming season. There's my brother and his 2 grown children who love the team as dad and I did/do. I'll have to rely on them...

But this is unutterable and unfathomable. My daddy and his/my beloved Cowboys.

Cowboy nation lost one of its oldest, most ardent, smartest, and noble fans.

I'm sick with it.

Thanks for listening.

Figured this didn't belong in the Fan Zone though I'd like it there....

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
First of all I'm sorry for your loss. You grief is evident. All I can say is it will get better with time. That's not a lot or any help right now but it will get better.

And of course this belongs in the Fan Zone. If anything ever did this does.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
HoustonSucks;5041503 said:
My dad was born the day before Tom Landry. He passed away March 25th and I'm not sure how to ever watch another Cowboys game. Almost every picture as a child is me on his lap in my Cowboys gear. My first memories are him watching the games. It wasn't our whole relationship but it was one of our biggest bonds and I can't separate the two. We talked Cowboys in his last hour of life. I buried him with a Cowboys football in his arm. When I went to buy it, out of ALL the games that could have been playing in the pro shop, it was Dallas' last shellacking of the hated Texans. Dad was happy as a clam after that game.

Watching TV in his delirium in the hospital he thought he saw Tony Romo. I was told he broke chairs during our loss to the Steelers in the 70s Super Bowls. The cowboys were his love and he talked about them to the very end. I would check the zone for gossip and immediately call or tell him. I'd read him my posts which he was proud of. My dad and the Cowboys are so entwined and so a part of me I haven't been able to check this site or think. I don't know how to get through the coming season. There's my brother and his 2 grown children who love the team as dad and I did/do. I'll have to rely on them...

I'm sick with it.

Thanks for listening.

I feel your pain, man. Grief is a tough thing to deal with. Just know that you're not alone. I've been through so much grief over the past 3 or so years, it's not funny. Some say it gets better with time. And it does. But time it's a slow process and it'll never go away. I know I can't say anything to make your pain better. There's not much any of us can do. But we can honor your dad's memory and you've come to the right place for that. I think this does belong in the fan zone. It sounds like your dad was a huge fan and would fit in right here.

PM me if you ever need an ear. Enough people have lent me an ear on CZ. That's one good thing about this board. There are lots of good people who've been through all the curve balls life throws us. Hang in there. And no matter how much time passes, don't be afraid to PM me.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sorry for your loss. It is hard, especially in the first year. Don't let anyone tell you when you are done grieving, it is a process that is different for everyone.

Maybe instead of dreading future Cowboy games, take them head on. Frame your favorite picture of him and place him next to you on the end table on gamedays. It will be like he is right there watching with you and who knows, maybe he is right there by your side going through the same emotions as the rest of us.

danielofthesaints

Reaction score
dexternjack;5041549 said:
Sorry for your loss. It is hard, especially in the first year. Don't let anyone tell you when you are done grieving, it is a process that is different for everyone.

Maybe instead of dreading future Cowboy games, take them head on. Frame your favorite picture of him and place him next to you on the end table on gamedays. It will be like he is right there watching with you and who knows, maybe he is right there by your side going through the same emotions as the rest of us.

Better yet, he's sitting right next to God as they both watch their favorite team from up above. Sorry for your loss.

CalCBFan

Reaction score
Trouble with losing a parent is that they have been with you all of your life. Things to remember: You will get through this. It's ok to grieve; cry in the shower. It washes away the tears, nobody sees you and you will feel better. Remember, only your Daddy's body has died. His spirit and presence will be felt in times of need, if you let him come in. Be grateful for all the wonderful memories you have just shared with us. Lots of people don't even have that. God Bless you and you family...

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Another star has been sent up to heaven. Peace to you and your family.

Haze

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;5041544 said:
I feel your pain, man. Grief is a tough thing to deal with. Just know that you're not alone. I've been through so much grief over the past 3 or so years, it's not funny. Some say it gets better with time. And it does. But time it's a slow process and it'll never go away. I know I can't say anything to make your pain better. There's not much any of us can do. But we can honor your dad's memory and you've come to the right place for that. I think this does belong in the fan zone. It sounds like your dad was a huge fan and would fit in right here.

PM me if you ever need an ear. Enough people have lent me an ear on CZ. That's one good thing about this board. There are lots of good people who've been through all the curve balls life throws us. Hang in there. And no matter how much time passes, don't be afraid to PM me.

I do not post much but I read the board almost every day and I wished there was more of this and less of the bashing of one another. Really great post CowboyMcCoy! Sorry to hear about your loss HoustonSucks :(

Little Jr

Reaction score
Sounds a lot like mine and my dads relationship. Sorry for your loss

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Haze;5041564 said:
I do not post much but I read the board almost every day and I wished there was more of this and less of the bashing of one another. Really great post CowboyMcCoy! Sorry to hear about your loss HoustonSucks :(

Really, these types of things make me realize that there's more to life than football and the back and forth bashing, etc. These kinds of things, like what HoustonSucks is posting about, will make you realize football is really a small thing in the grand scheme of life.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sincere condolences on your loss.

It may seem like you'll never get there, but, eventually, you'll come to appreciate that there's a retractable roof on that stadium for a reason.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I share in the sentiments of the board. I too am sorry to hear your news. There is really little anybody can say in situations like this. Only that I am sorry and that I hope your memories of your Father turn to fond memories at some point. They will comfort you eventually but that day is probably not today.

My condolences for you and your entire family.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Awesome awesome story!!! Your dad will be watching over your family and the Cowboys, he's got the best seat in the house. GOD BLESS :)

traye111

Reaction score
May your dad rest in peace yet rejoice in heaven. My thoughts and prayers are with your sir...

HoustonSucks;5041503 said:

I'm sick with it.

Thanks for listening.

w8lifter

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. Just think, he's now able to watch the games from above.

:pray: