We Lost Another Cowboys Fan

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
Dear Sir,

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Cowboys whom he cherished to the end. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to know he loved the Cowboys through it all to the very end.

:starspin

With a little help from Mr Lincoln :)

ksadler1

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about your dad HS. I haven't seen you around in a while. Just know that if you and your dad had a tradition of watching the Cowboys every week, he would want you to continue doing that. Your dad will now have the best seat at every Cowboys game. He'll be sitting between God and Tom Landry. You're in my prayers.....

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
My condolences to you and your family. I hope your Dad and my Grandpa will enjoy watching the games together from heaven, along with Coach Landry.

CxC1993

Reaction score
Very sorry for your loss. Prayers go out to you & your family.

MartinRamone

Reaction score
Condolences on your loss, hope the team can give him a good gift this year.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Back when my Dad passed in the mid-90's..he and I had the same type relationship. He had introduced me to being a pro football fan back in '63 with the Cowboys. He had grown up being a Washington Commanders fan and Jints fan in the 50's.

So when the Cowboys came to town..he was one of the first to buy season tickets down at the Cotton Bowl. He had missed following his teams. I was only about 10 years old then. But me and my two brothers would go with him and Mom each Sunday.

It was an obsession over the years, especially when they began to win after '65. Very few here remember that Dallas was a vilified city because of the Kennedy Assassination in '63 and the Cowboys successes became a new identity for the whole area. And Dad was always sickened by that shooting and what it did to Dallas.

So being a Cowboys fan meant more than just being a football nut. You were a winner who had came back from enormous adversity to successes, too.

So it was with great sorrow when my father had a stroke and was hospitalized. It was the year that Emmitt Smith was holding out and the Cowboys lost the first two games of the year, I believe. Anyway, they were really struggling. That Fall, all Dad spoke about was when was Emmitt going to return and when were the Cowboys going to get things going again.

He wouldn't talk about himself or what was going on..he had me sit next to him in the bed and read him the latest news on the team and Emmitt. Finally as the weeks went by, Emmitt signed and returned and the Cowboys started winning again.

But Dad didn't make it. He had another series of strokes while recovering and we lost him. He left on a Saturday afternoon and I was planning on going to the hospital on Sunday to watch the game with him. But we never watched that game together.

In fact, I couldn't watch the Cowboys the rest of the season that year. It wasn't the same without Dad.

So you are not alone, my friend. You are not alone. You are never alone.

:starspin RedBaLL ExPreSS:starspin

Carolina Cowboy

Reaction score
for your loss. My Dad passed the Cowboys on to me (He was a Packer fan until the Ice Bowl and that game and Tom Landry changed him) and I passed the Cowboys to my son. Two things the three of us all share, our name and the Cowboys. Again, I'm sorry for the loss of your father.

Ratmatt

Reaction score
HoustonSucks;5041503 said:
My dad was born the day before Tom Landry. He passed away March 25th and I'm not sure how to ever watch another Cowboys game. Almost every picture as a child is me on his lap in my Cowboys gear. My first memories are him watching the games. It wasn't our whole relationship but it was one of our biggest bonds and I can't separate the two. We talked Cowboys in his last hour of life. I buried him with a Cowboys football in his arm. When I went to buy it, out of ALL the games that could have been playing in the pro shop, it was Dallas' last shellacking of the hated Texans. Dad was happy as a clam after that game.

Watching TV in his delirium in the hospital he thought he saw Tony Romo. I was told he broke chairs during our loss to the Steelers in the 70s Super Bowls. The cowboys were his love and he talked about them to the very end. I would check the zone for gossip and immediately call or tell him. I'd read him my posts which he was proud of. My dad and the Cowboys are so entwined and so a part of me I haven't been able to check this site or think. I don't know how to get through the coming season. There's my brother and his 2 grown children who love the team as dad and I did/do. I'll have to rely on them...

But this is unutterable and unfathomable. My daddy and his/my beloved Cowboys.

Cowboy nation lost one of its oldest, most ardent, smartest, and noble fans.

I'm sick with it.

Thanks for listening.

Figured this didn't belong in the Fan Zone though I'd like it there....
Sorry to hear about your dad.I too grew up watching the Cowboys with my dad,and still do.I couldn't imagine what it would be like without him.
God Bless!

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Redball Express;5042248 said:
Back when my Dad passed in the mid-90's..he and I had the same type relationship. He had introduced me to being a pro football fan back in '63 with the Cowboys. He had grown up being a Washington Commanders fan and Jints fan in the 50's.

So when the Cowboys came to town..he was one of the first to buy season tickets down at the Cotton Bowl. He had missed following his teams. I was only about 10 years old then. But me and my two brothers would go with him and Mom each Sunday.

It was an obsession over the years, especially when they began to win after '65. Very few here remember that Dallas was a vilified city because of the Kennedy Assassination in '63 and the Cowboys successes became a new identity for the whole area. And Dad was always sickened by that shooting and what it did to Dallas.

So being a Cowboys fan meant more than just being a football nut. You were a winner who had came back from enormous adversity to successes, too.

So it was with great sorrow when my father had a stroke and was hospitalized. It was the year that Emmitt Smith was holding out and the Cowboys lost the first two games of the year, I believe. Anyway, they were really struggling. That Fall, all Dad spoke about was when was Emmitt going to return and when were the Cowboys going to get things going again.

He wouldn't talk about himself or what was going on..he had me sit next to him in the bed and read him the latest news on the team and Emmitt. Finally as the weeks went by, Emmitt signed and returned and the Cowboys started winning again.

But Dad didn't make it. He had another series of strokes while recovering and we lost him. He left on a Saturday afternoon and I was planning on going to the hospital on Sunday to watch the game with him. But we never watched that game together.

In fact, I couldn't watch the Cowboys the rest of the season that year. It wasn't the same without Dad.

So you are not alone, my friend. You are not alone. You are never alone.

:starspin RedBaLL ExPreSS:starspin

Redball, great post and I'm glad you shared. This encouraged me as well and not just the person you were aiming for. Thanks for sharing!

:starspin

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss buddy... God bless you and your family! Time heals all things, it will be tough so cry if you have to and smile too, he'd want that more than anything!

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss, my mother passed in 2010. I converted her into a Cowboys fan back in the 70s. She loved Roger, Troy and especially Emmitt.

Even though we lived 700 miles apart the last twelve years she was still with us, we talked about every Cowboys game. If she couldn't watch it, she would ask me how they played, etc. If it was a bad game, she knew to wait until the next day to call and talk about it because I was probably simmering after it. Still living in NJ, she hated the Eagles. The last season she was with us was 2009 and she loved that we swept the Eagles and knocked them out of the playoffs. Even at 83 with her health failing, it lifted her up.

I love my 'Boys but in my case, football season hasn't been quite the same since. It might be a bit different for a grown man to have that favorite team bond with his mother but it just happened.

Rest in peace to your father HS and prayers to you and yours. Our loved ones will still be watching our 'Boys with us, just not as closely as we would like.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
So Sorry for your loss. It would have been nice for him to see our next Super bowl win, but maybe he will, anyway.