We messed up this offseason

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Last year it worked out . We chose not to re-sign Hatcher / Ware . We got a bargain with mincey . It worked out really well. This year we declined to pay Murray , we signed a washed up Doug Free. We signed Crawford to a contract that pays him like he's elite . We declined claibornes 5th year option which now looks like a bargain . We messed up on all 3 of those moves. Claiborne is an absolute must re~sign. Patmon is decent at best . He's about even with sterling Moore 4th corner at best . We don't have an RB on this team . My only hope is Christian Michael .

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I expect the RBs will look a whole lot better with Dez and Romo in the game. Expecting our RBs to do well when we've got Weeden and Invasion of the Body Catchers as our QB and #1 WR is unrealistic.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I think its easier looking at it after the fact. No i dindt believe in Patmon. No one knew Mo was going to be this solid and thas all he is. I had no problem Murray walking i dont like what we did. I dont care if we re signed Tyrone, but ok im not mad at the contract. I am more irked we kept Church and Wilcox. Neither are hurt but always play like they are. I wasnt big on Mc Fadden when CJ Spiller was out there, we see how that worked. Im not mad at C mike, i blame the coaches.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
So having Murray's total 47 yards would be a season changer? LOL

Murray would not be at 47 in Dallas, hes in anotehr scheme and he took his money i have no problem with that. I have no problem we dindt sign him but he would have more yards in Dallas. two different schemes, if you wnat ot know how that works, go see Ware in Denver.

CashMan

Reaction score
Last year it worked out . We chose not to re-sign Hatcher / Ware . We got a bargain with mincey . It worked out really well. This year we declined to pay Murray , we signed a washed up Doug Free. We signed Crawford to a contract that pays him like he's elite . We declined claibornes 5th year option which now looks like a bargain . We messed up on all 3 of those moves. Claiborne is an absolute must re~sign. Patmon is decent at best . He's about even with sterling Moore 4th corner at best . We don't have an RB on this team . My only hope is Christian Michael .

I think the problem was not trading for a Forte or AP.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I think its easier looking at it after the fact. No i dindt believe in Patmon. No one knew Mo was going to be this solid and thas all he is. I had no problem Murray walking i dont like what we did. I dont care if we re signed Tyrone, but ok im not mad at the contract. I am more irked we kept Church and Wilcox. Neither are hurt but always play like they are. I wasnt big on Mc Fadden when CJ Spiller was out there, we see how that worked. Im not mad at C mike, i blame the coaches.

You're right . It is easier after the fact . I just thought they learned from paying old veterans Free is retiring after this year. We're stuck with his contract for 2 years. Sometimes it's just luck we guessed wrong this offseason.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Murray would not be at 47 in Dallas, hes in anotehr scheme and he took his money i have no problem with that. I have no problem we dindt sign him but he would have more yards in Dallas. two different schemes, if you wnat ot know how that works, go see Ware in Denver.

He was bench riding and holding his hammy week 2 and out week 3 after like 25 carries.

Guess what? If you're going to try and make a decent comparison, 25 carries in week 1 would have hurt his hammy with us.

He would have been out game 2 and 3 for us just the same.

perrykemp

Reaction score

Not signing up for Mo's 5th year option was a no-brainer considering his general suckiness and inability to get on the field in the first 3 years.

In no way did the front-office mess up.

It just turns out that Mo has more intestinal fortitude that anybody could have predicted. Good for Mo -- Bad luck for the Cowboys, but I refuse to call it a bad decision.

They can still resign him if they want.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score

Not at 47 but not much better with the Oline sucking the way it is. We don't need an 8 million dollar running back.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

The Claiborne decision was the right one to make based off of an overwhelming pile of evidence AT THIS TIME that said "Penalty prone, Injury prone, lacks confidence/motivation to take the next step". I guarantee that if the FO would have picked-up that 5th year option back then, the fanbase would have converged onto Valley Ranch with pitchforks and torches in hand.

We're 4 games in and he is looking very decent, but I have this feeling that if we had picked up Claiborne for his 5th year (meaning this isn't his contract year) he might not feel as motivated to elevate his game/play consistently.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Should've kept Parnell and dropped Free.

Letting Murray go was right.

Crawford does not look anything close to a 9 mill a year player. More like 5 to 6.5.

Patmon is fine.. Actually not making me miss Scandrick at all.

What makes me angry is the Cowboys coaches and Jerry Jones calling plays in gutless fashion and making comments about Weeden being limited and not going out and signing a guy like Ryan Fitzpatrick the day Free Agency began.

That's the big screw up in all of this.. They knew what they had in Weeden and they chose not to sign a Vet.

I've never seen a team call a game as scared as the Cowboys are.. Like Weeden is a rookie in his first game ever each week... Even coaches do things to get Rookies QB in a rhythm but we're too scared to even call plays like that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Not resigning Ware came back to haunt the team in the playoffs last season. It was the lack of pressure on a limping Aaron Rodgers that got the Cowboys booted from the playoffs. Ware had 10 sacks last season which was more than any player the Cowboys had. He has 4.5 sacks this season on a Denver defense that's ranked #1. Allowing Murray to walk and not drafting an RB in a strong RB draft was a mistake and we're paying for it with a running game that isn't close to what it was last season. The running game that finished #2 last season currently ranks 16th and is falling every week. The lack of a running game forced Romo to have to put the ball up 45 times in the season opener which was more than in any game last season. He was on pace for another 40+ attempt game when he was injured. Once again he was back to having to carry the team and it contributed to him being injured. The miscalculations the team has made has put the Cowboys in a shaky 2-2 situation with NE next week.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
The Claiborne decision was the right one to make based off of an overwhelming pile of evidence that said "Penalty prone, Injury prone, lacks confidence/motivation to take the next step". We're 4 games in and he is looking very decent, but I have this feeling that if we had picked up Claiborne for his 5th year (meaning this isn't his contract year) he might not feel as motivated to elevate his game/play consistently.

I don't know though , what was the downside to paying him like a rookie for a 5th year ? I just don't see a con to picking up that 5th year option . Regardless of his past. It's only a couple million .

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Totally agreed...Who needs a $8m RB when you can instead have a $9m/y DT (Crawford), a $7m/y LB (Sean Lee), and a $10m/y CB (Carr).

Is Crawford really worth more than Murray ? I mean he's a solid player but my goodness this was a fail .

ShiningStar

Reaction score
You're right . It is easier after the fact . I just thought they learned from paying old veterans Free is retiring after this year. We're stuck with his contract for 2 years. Sometimes it's just luck we guessed wrong this offseason.

yes and im not poo pooing you post or your opinion. IF i had to sit there and think what was available and what could have been. Im not really against the off season in many ways but a few different things i would have done. Im not against Tyrone being signed and as another poster showed me Hes getting double teamed. Ok. I am more mad about DLaw. I was always agianst that trade.

This offseason yea we made mistakes, but i cant blame Weeden on Garrett, i think that was more JJ.. I do however dont buy the "things will be better when Stephen is in charge" Im not sold on keeping Garrett for much longer. Thats my opinion. Some here cant help both heap awards upon him, but i feel other coaches would try to change things. Im not also not sold once Stephen takes over that things will be better. Agian thats me

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Totally agreed...Who needs a $8m RB when you can instead have a $9m/y DT (Crawford), a $7m/y LB (Sean Lee), and a $10m/y CB (Carr).

We may have goofed up but at least we don't have a aging 8 mill a year RB on the books as well.

Crawford may not come close to being worth 9 mill a year but at least he'll be useful for us.

Carr.... Solid at best.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't know though , what was the downside to paying him like a rookie for a 5th year ? I just don't see a con to picking up that 5th year option . Regardless of his past. It's only a couple million .

But he was a top of the 1st round rookie. That would have been another $2.6m for him to take up a 53-man roster spot and not produce (like he had been doing previously). Now, if he was say $450K....maybe it would have been a smarter move to give him one more year.