We messed up this offseason

ShiningStar

Reaction score
There's no different scheme for getting tackled in the backfield. The only difference between Murray and what we have now is instead of getting tackled in the backfield for a 4 yard loss Murray would fight and probably get a 1 or 2 yard gain. Which is great but there's no holes there.

thats fine, wear the D down. I dont feel Randle and D mac wear them down fast enough. Obvously Dunbar doesnt. Could Miachel, idk but i would start him to find out, What could go wrong? Id rather have him battering the D and using Randle and Dmac to hit it home.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I disagree. This offensive line as a WHOLE have all taken a step back. That includes Zach Martin and Tyron Smith.

this might be the transition to Pollack whom i willing to give some time to. I dont feel he ll be Callahan good, but if the team keeps giving him good talent, we should be good there.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
We were the toast of the offseason by pretty much everyone. After a month the gripes have begun.

Funny how losing your all pro QB and WR clouds things.

Maybe a 6-10 season will be the way to get a QB of the future. From despair come opportunity!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. This offensive line as a WHOLE have all taken a step back. That includes Zach Martin and Tyron Smith.

They try to scheme around Free's issues which puts more strain on the others. In the run game they try to find ways to get Free on LB or find ways to let him function as a wall-off blocker. In pass blocking they have the RG line up a few inches closer to Free than normal which allows him to overset to the outside without the fear of getting beat inside. With the RG cheating right, then the Center has to cheat right on many plays which ends up causing the LG to have to block in space more like an OT.

Yes, they've all had some issues, but with a big nasty run blocking RT they could really open up the options in the running game. As it is, the running game is much easier to predict for defenses.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this might be the transition to Pollack whom i willing to give some time to. I dont feel he ll be Callahan good, but if the team keeps giving him good talent, we should be good there.

If Pollack was the problem I wouldn't expect that to show up immediately while they still have the same starters from last year. I could see it being a problem over time but right now I think they are using the same plays with the same players that were coached up by Callahan.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
He would still be running, who ever hands him the ball is not relevant. You seem to forget, and a lot of people do, before they saw what Murray was and was saying "he runs into darkness" Murray has run well without Bryant, when he was injured or disappearing in games as was his knock by some people. Murray would be wearing down Ds faster than Randle and Mc D. even if its 1 yard the defense has to run over there and bump into him.

Sure he would. Where is the evidence he can run without the threat of Bryant or Romo? I am still waiting to see it in Philly?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
thats fine, wear the D down. I dont feel Randle and D mac wear them down fast enough. Obvously Dunbar doesnt. Could Miachel, idk but i would start him to find out, What could go wrong? Id rather have him battering the D and using Randle and Dmac to hit it home.

How long do you plan on wearing the defense down? By the time they are wore down the game is over with and our defense is wore down by then.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Is there a transition though? Doesn't Pollack run the same scheme as Callahan?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ware's sacks stopped...completely the last 4-6 games last year like they always do though. Would he have been any help come playoff time? Denver was one and done......against the Colts.

He didn't come up with any sacks over the last few games last season but he got a lot of pressure which opened up sack opportunities for other players which created at least a couple of turnovers. Although he didn't get a sack he got a lot of pressure on Derrick Carr in the season finale which helped lead to a blowout over the Raiders. Von Miller only had one sack in the final 3 games. Ware has been starting off strong and fades at the end usually because of a nagging injury which is why the Cowboys released him. His final season with the Cowboys he was off to one of his best starts with 4 sacks and an int in the first 3 games but suffered a leg injury that hampered and limited him most of the season. Denver was one and done but neither Ware or Von Miller got a sack vs Indy. Manning was awful in that day and that's mainly why Denver lost.

Even a less than 100% Ware would have helped the Cowboys vs the Packers because he still had to be accounted for. He's the one defensive player the Cowboys had that put fear in teams. With a limping Aaron Rodgers the Packers would have had to double team Ware in fear he could have knocked Rodgers out of the game. With all the attention on Ware it could have freed up other players to put some pressure on Rodgers. He had all day to throw in the second half especially in the 4th quarter the defense couldn't disrupt him and he shredded us. The lack of a pass rush killed the team last night with a less than 100% Drew Brees putting up 359 yards and 2 TDs.. The Cowboys defense is a sitting duck for an elite QB and even a few journeymen QBs have toasted them the past 3 seasons. With the Cowboys top corner Scandrick out they have to pressure the QB or they won't be seeing another win for awhile.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The running game has failed due to the blocking not the RBs. If they had kept Parnell and let Doug Free move on, they would be 4-0 right now. The running game would be functioning which would keep the defense off the field.

Jeez. This again.

Fontaine

Reaction score
Everyone needs to take a deep breath and move away from the ledge. I'm disappointed, just like the rest of the fan base, but the injuries are the main reason we are losing. We have zero deep threat, it's no secret, and obviously a OC in the NFL will pick this up fast enough and focus on stopping the run, which they have. I'll start being concerned when Romo returns and we continue losing, if that happens, I'll push the panic button.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Last year it worked out . We chose not to re-sign Hatcher / Ware . We got a bargain with mincey . It worked out really well. This year we declined to pay Murray , we signed a washed up Doug Free. We signed Crawford to a contract that pays him like he's elite . We declined claibornes 5th year option which now looks like a bargain . We messed up on all 3 of those moves. Claiborne is an absolute must re~sign. Patmon is decent at best . He's about even with sterling Moore 4th corner at best . We don't have an RB on this team . My only hope is Christian Michael .

I think we should have bit the bullet amd payed Ingram what the Saints did

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man, I can't believe some of the stuff that gets said around here with a straight face.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Not resigning Ware came back to haunt the team in the playoffs last season. It was the lack of pressure on a limping Aaron Rodgers that got the Cowboys booted from the playoffs. Ware had 10 sacks last season which was more than any player the Cowboys had. He has 4.5 sacks this season on a Denver defense that's ranked #1. Allowing Murray to walk and not drafting an RB in a strong RB draft was a mistake and we're paying for it with a running game that isn't close to what it was last season. The running game that finished #2 last season currently ranks 16th and is falling every week. The lack of a running game forced Romo to have to put the ball up 45 times in the season opener which was more than in any game last season. He was on pace for another 40+ attempt game when he was injured. Once again he was back to having to carry the team and it contributed to him being injured. The miscalculations the team has made has put the Cowboys in a shaky 2-2 situation with NE next week.

It's what I said. The running game didn't look that good with Romo in there either and we were lucky to win those first 2 games. We don't have Romo to bail us out anymore.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's what I said. The running game didn't look that good with Romo in there either and we were lucky to win those first 2 games. We don't have Romo to bail us out anymore.

The lack of a running game contributed to him getting injured. I pointed out in many discussions during the offseason as did a few others that if Romo has to throw more it's going to increase the chance of him being injured. Everyone even the FANS knew if Romo went down the Cowboys are done and with the loss of Dez and the others this season is heading down the toilet.