We messed up this offseason

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Patmon is far better than Moore. I seriously don't know what you're watching out there. He's even better than Scandrick was last year in the slot.

And DeMarco Murray has 47 yards rushing this season on 29 carries.

Where we screwed up?

By having Murray run so much in 2014. Should have gotten him to around 320 carries instead of 420 carries (including the playoffs). He probably would not have smashed so many records which would have driven the price tag down and he would be fresh for 2015. But we ran him to death last year and the history of RB's with more than 380 carries in a season is abysmal and you're seeing what Philly got with him. You can call it a gimmick offense in Philly, but he should still be averaging more than 1.67 yards per carry.

Either way, we could have done ourselves more good by limiting DeMarco's carries to a reasonable number and we didn't and there was an avalanche of problems with it.

Not sure who we would get in place of Free though. I watched Parnell yesterday and he's terrible and got paid far more than Free.

YR

chicago JK

Reaction score
I think letting Murray was the best decision when it was made. What they went into the season with on the roster is where the real mistake was made.

Crawford was very good last year, I would of liked to see him back up that play for a second year before giving him that large contract. Dallas isn't going to lose any player they want to keep. I am sure he has been a focal point for all teams we are playing this year. It would have been nice to see how he would have responded to that before he got his big payday.

No problem with Mo. I also think no matter how good he plays this year, I would caution resigning him. I will have a number that I will not go over. Although if he is healthy and productive this year, he is going to get a big payday in the crazy free agency period. I would not play in that deep water for a guy who up until these last 4 games has been a below average player.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
We may have goofed up but at least we don't have a aging 8 mill a year RB on the books as well.

Crawford may not come close to being worth 9 mill a year but at least he'll be useful for us.

Carr.... Solid at best.

Bro but we are ready to win now , should have gave Murray 3 years 24 million . Romo has 2-3 left murray would have been fine for 2-3 years. It was a mistake look at Murray in philly he isn't happy and were not happy . He should be here. We were ready to win now . Sighs everything was so great last year *****those refs for taking that game away from us in the playoffs .

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Patmon is far better than Moore. I seriously don't know what you're watching out there. He's even better than Scandrick was last year in the slot.

And DeMarco Murray has 47 yards rushing this season on 29 carries.

Where we screwed up?

By having Murray run so much in 2014. Should have gotten him to around 320 carries instead of 420 carries (including the playoffs). He probably would not have smashed so many records which would have driven the price tag down and he would be fresh for 2015. But we ran him to death last year and the history of RB's with more than 380 carries in a season is abysmal and you're seeing what Philly got with him. You can call it a gimmick offense in Philly, but he should still be averaging more than 1.67 yards per carry.

Either way, we could have done ourselves more good by limiting DeMarco's carries to a reasonable number and we didn't and there was an avalanche of problems with it.

Not sure who we would get in place of Free though. I watched Parnell yesterday and he's terrible and got paid far more than Free.

YR

Not even worth replying , nice drop gift INT from patmon , nice getting burned across the middle every week. That is all.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Bro but we are ready to win now , should have gave Murray 3 years 24 million . Romo has 2-3 left murray would have been fine for 2-3 years. It was a mistake look at Murray in philly he isn't happy and were not happy . He should be here. We were ready to win now . Sighs everything was so great last year *****those refs for taking that game away from us in the playoffs .

If you're going to pay a RB 8 mill a year actually go get a guy that's worth 8 mill a year and not a no vision fumbler like Murray.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Not even worth replying , nice drop gift INT from patmon , nice getting burned across the middle every week. That is all.

He doesn't get burned every week. He dropped an INT and that sucked. Not worth writing a player off. If you think he gets burned every week, you're just not knowledgeable about football and that's okay.

YR

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
He doesn't get burned every week. He dropped an INT and that sucked. Not worth writing a player off. If you think he gets burned every week, you're just not knowledgeable about football and that's okay.

YR

What's not knowledgeable about football is you pointing out Murrays yardage in philly . That's ignorant and obviously the scheme. Just ridicolous . Patmon is a 4th cb saying he's FAR better than Moore is quite a reach.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I think letting Ware walk was silly. The cost to keep him wasn't much more than the dead money and you had no other options on the depth chart. Ware is killing it in Denver this year. They are smart enough to spell him during a game so he can still have some burst.

They paid Crawford for what they hope he will produce and it was lot for a guy with a limited track record. Certainly not a bargain by any means.

Murray is a hard call. He fit the system perfectly and was productive. You would think they have drafted some one to compete with Randle if they chose to let him go.

I am glad the team has stopped pushing dead money ahead for the most part, thats a big shift for them.

RS12

Reaction score
Last year it worked out . We chose not to re-sign Hatcher / Ware . We got a bargain with mincey . It worked out really well. This year we declined to pay Murray , we signed a washed up Doug Free. We signed Crawford to a contract that pays him like he's elite . We declined claibornes 5th year option which now looks like a bargain . We messed up on all 3 of those moves. Claiborne is an absolute must re~sign. Patmon is decent at best . He's about even with sterling Moore 4th corner at best . We don't have an RB on this team . My only hope is Christian Michael .

Correct moves: Not signing Murray. Not picking up Claiborne.

Incorrect move: Free. Guy has made alot of money with mediocre prouctivity. Reminds me of a left handed reliever who make the roster every year with an EA of 4.5

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
What's not knowledgeable about football is you pointing out Murrays yardage in philly . That's ignorant and obviously the scheme. Just ridicolous . Patmon is a 4th cb saying he's FAR better than Moore is quite a reach.

It's okay that you're not very knowledgeable about football. I mean, if you think 1.67 yards per carry is all about the scheme, that's all that needs to be said. Not to mention that again, the history of RB's with 380+ carries in a season and what they do for the rest of their career has been abysmal...just like the numbers that Murray is putting up now.

Why is Ryan Matthews averaging 4.0 yards per carry on the same team with the same scheme?

Why is Darren Sproles averaging 3.9 yards per carry on the same team with the same scheme?

It's stuff like this that shows your lack of knowledge on the subject.

YR

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Not signing up for Mo's 5th year option was a no-brainer considering his general suckiness and inability to get on the field in the first 3 years.

In no way did the front-office mess up.

It just turns out that Mo has more intestinal fortitude that anybody could have predicted. Good for Mo -- Bad luck for the Cowboys, but I refuse to call it a bad decision.

They can still resign him if they want.

Yep, the hate that Mo got before this season was almost legendary. I don't recall (I could be wrong) a single person coming to Mo's defense when JJ declined his fifth year option. Hindsight makes experts of all of us. I'm just glad he's playing pretty well and hope he continues to do so.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I think letting Ware walk was silly. The cost to keep him wasn't much more than the dead money and you had no other options on the depth chart. Ware is killing it in Denver this year. They are smart enough to spell him during a game so he can still have some burst.

They paid Crawford for what they hope he will produce and it was lot for a guy with a limited track record. Certainly not a bargain by any means.

Murray is a hard call. He fit the system perfectly and was productive. You would think they have drafted some one to compete with Randle if they chose to let him go.

I am glad the team has stopped pushing dead money ahead for the most part, thats a big shift for them.

Letting Ware walk was great for Ware, we were asking way to much of him. We were stupid not him. We should have gotten a RB, QB saftey but what do i know we arent having problems wht those positions. The Oline is still awesome, no worries there. And we got Jones, who is balling in the RB position. So thats working out as well.

conner01

Reaction score
I think the problem was not trading for a Forte or AP.

I think the bigger problem was losing scandrick, dez, Romo, Gregory etc
If this team had been able to stay just halfway healthy we would be fine
I just don't think any team can overcome losing the likes of Romo and dez, as well as their top pass rushers, not to mention all the others
No team can lose an elite WR and QB and be playing any better than we are

conner01

Reaction score
Yep, the hate that Mo got before this season was almost legendary. I don't recall (I could be wrong) a single person coming to Mo's defense when JJ declined his fifth year option. Hindsight makes experts of all of us. I'm just glad he's playing pretty well and hope he continues to do so.

I'm betting no one can find one person wanting to keep Mo before the season
Other than RB I bet you can't find many posts where people weren't very excited about our off season

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Last year it worked out . We chose not to re-sign Hatcher / Ware . We got a bargain with mincey . It worked out really well. This year we declined to pay Murray , we signed a washed up Doug Free. We signed Crawford to a contract that pays him like he's elite . We declined claibornes 5th year option which now looks like a bargain . We messed up on all 3 of those moves. Claiborne is an absolute must re~sign. Patmon is decent at best . He's about even with sterling Moore 4th corner at best . We don't have an RB on this team . My only hope is Christian Michael .

Half we sunk this low to be hoping on a guy named Christine?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I think the bigger problem was losing scandrick, dez, Romo, Gregory etc
If this team had been able to stay just halfway healthy we would be fine
I just don't think any team can overcome losing the likes of Romo and dez, as well as their top pass rushers, not to mention all the others
No team can lose an elite WR and QB and be playing any better than we are

0-2. Carr is healthy, Patmon, wilcox, church, Mo Hitchens, Dlaw. All those awesome players as well. Heck we lost players and still have more elite players than msot teams right? Right. No, we found out many are jags Which scares me beacuse i thought Rod would do better with less talent and even that isnt helping.

LandryFan

Reaction score

Murray got $42M/5 yrs from Eagles...he wouldn't have accepted $24M/3yrs. If I'm not Mistaken, Murray got about $24M in guaranteed money, alone, in Philly.

T-RO

Reaction score

This could not be more wrong.

-There are ALWAYS budget constraints. We didn't have $10 million sitting around to sign a veteran starting right tackle. We drafted two possible candidates to develop. It takes time.

-Signing Murray would have been an unmitigated disaster and would have made it impossible to extend Dez.

-Claiborne suddenly does his homework and plays hard right before he's due another contract. We've had enough of players that show up only when they sniff another payday. If we'd extended him we'd have another boat anchor contract and he wouldn't even be playing hard right now!

No. No. No. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Everything you said is just flat wrong.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
We were the toast of the offseason by pretty much everyone. After a month the gripes have begun.

Funny how losing your all pro QB and WR clouds things.

LandryFan

Reaction score
I'm betting no one can find one person wanting to keep Mo before the season
Other than RB I bet you can't find many posts where people weren't very excited about our off season

Agreed. I do recall one or two people half-heartedly defending Mo, saying that much of his lackluster play was due to injury, but bottom line, I don't recall one person ruing the fact that JJ declined his 5th year option. The vast majority of people on here were overall excited about the offseason as a whole...there were some who weren't satisfied that we didn't improve the RB position, but that was pretty much it for complaints.