We messed up this offseason

Aven8

Reaction score
We screwed up in the offseason by not getting a better backup like we had the majority of Romos career, ie. Kitna and Orton, especially with Romo's back issues and age!

We also screwed up knowing IF Dez got hurt we had absolutely NOTHING behind him.

And lastly, we screwed up not getting a replacement for Harris! 4 scoring drives last night of 80, 75, 86, and 91! You're asking Weeds to do that every time?? Ridiculous! Put Lucky in and just go with it!

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Not resigning Ware came back to haunt the team in the playoffs last season. It was the lack of pressure on a limping Aaron Rodgers that got the Cowboys booted from the playoffs. Ware had 10 sacks last season which was more than any player the Cowboys had. He has 4.5 sacks this season on a Denver defense that's ranked #1. Allowing Murray to walk and not drafting an RB in a strong RB draft was a mistake and we're paying for it with a running game that isn't close to what it was last season. The running game that finished #2 last season currently ranks 16th and is falling every week. The lack of a running game forced Romo to have to put the ball up 45 times in the season opener which was more than in any game last season. He was on pace for another 40+ attempt game when he was injured. Once again he was back to having to carry the team and it contributed to him being injured. The miscalculations the team has made has put the Cowboys in a shaky 2-2 situation with NE next week.

Ware's sacks stopped...completely the last 4-6 games last year like they always do though. Would he have been any help come playoff time? Denver was one and done......against the Colts.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Murray would not be at 47 in Dallas, hes in anotehr scheme and he took his money i have no problem with that. I have no problem we dindt sign him but he would have more yards in Dallas. two different schemes, if you wnat ot know how that works, go see Ware in Denver.

How would he do with no Romo/Bryant? I bet people would be jumping off high rises at the thought of paying him 8 mill a season right about now.

perrykemp

Reaction score
We were the toast of the offseason by pretty much everyone. After a month the gripes have begun.

Funny how losing your all pro QB and WR clouds things.

Losing Dez hurts but it's nothing in comparison to losing Romo. There are tons of examples of good QBs carrying on just fine after losing their WR1, however, it's REALLY hard find the opposite.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
How would he do with no Romo/Bryant? I bet people would be jumping off high rises at the thought of paying him 8 mill a season right about now.

He would still be running, who ever hands him the ball is not relevant. You seem to forget, and a lot of people do, before they saw what Murray was and was saying "he runs into darkness" Murray has run well without Bryant, when he was injured or disappearing in games as was his knock by some people. Murray would be wearing down Ds faster than Randle and Mc D. even if its 1 yard the defense has to run over there and bump into him.

jday

Reaction score
Last year it worked out . We chose not to re-sign Hatcher / Ware . We got a bargain with mincey . It worked out really well. This year we declined to pay Murray , we signed a washed up Doug Free. We signed Crawford to a contract that pays him like he's elite . We declined claibornes 5th year option which now looks like a bargain . We messed up on all 3 of those moves. Claiborne is an absolute must re~sign. Patmon is decent at best . He's about even with sterling Moore 4th corner at best . We don't have an RB on this team . My only hope is Christian Michael .

This is one of those hypothetical questions that could only be answered with the benefit of a time machine.

You say the Cowboys messed up by letting Murray walk, but he's not exactly being considered offensive player of the year right now. Are you sure he would be the same Murray as last year behind this line with Weeden at QB?

You say the Cowboys messed up by not picking up the option, but do you know beyond a shadow of doubt that had the Cowboys picked the option they would be getting the same Claiborne they have now?

You say the Cowboys messed up by resigning Crawford to decent 3-tech money. Are you certain he won't be considered elite by season end? Keep in mind that when Hardy and Gregory get added back to the rotation, teams will have to dedicate blockers to the outside, meaning Crawford production is likely to increase.

slick325

Reaction score
I expect the RBs will look a whole lot better with Dez and Romo in the game. Expecting our RBs to do well when we've got Weeden and Invasion of the Body Catchers as our QB and #1 WR is unrealistic.

LOL @"Invasion of the Body Catchers"

Having #88 and #9 definitely changes how defenses approach playing the Boys. Not a fan of rbbc but don't have faith in any of the backs being the lead dog. The only one I can see possibly being that guy is CMike...and he's never done it before.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Murray would not be at 47 in Dallas, hes in anotehr scheme and he took his money i have no problem with that. I have no problem we dindt sign him but he would have more yards in Dallas. two different schemes, if you wnat ot know how that works, go see Ware in Denver.

Yes, that argument is getting old. Was watching the Philly-Washington game yesterday and the announcers touched on the fact that Philly is using Murray wrong with a lot of stretch plays instead of north-south running.

I don't doubt Murray would be doing better here. Would he be doing any better than what we've got? I don't know right now. With the passing game missing Romo and Dez, defenses would likely be keying on the running game even more than they are.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last year it worked out . We chose not to re-sign Hatcher / Ware . We got a bargain with mincey . It worked out really well. This year we declined to pay Murray , we signed a washed up Doug Free. We signed Crawford to a contract that pays him like he's elite . We declined claibornes 5th year option which now looks like a bargain . We messed up on all 3 of those moves. Claiborne is an absolute must re~sign. Patmon is decent at best . He's about even with sterling Moore 4th corner at best . We don't have an RB on this team . My only hope is Christian Michael .

The running game has failed due to the blocking not the RBs. If they had kept Parnell and let Doug Free move on, they would be 4-0 right now. The running game would be functioning which would keep the defense off the field.

Nobody would have signed Claiborne to a 10M extension based on his history. Even now he still a high risk for getting injured again.

Crawford is undetermined. They paid him more than I expected. I think he might be playing through some type of injury issue right now. I say them doing something to him on the sidelines a couple of times. He needs more help surrounding him. I can't wait to have both Hardy and Gregory back at some point.

Patmon is the slot CB. He has been much better than Moore. He was never intended to take over for Claiborne. Byron Jones is developing and might be a full time CB next season when Carr is likely gone and Claiborne's status is uncertain.

They are going to have to figure out the blocking issues for any RB including Michael to succeed.

coult44

Reaction score
So having Murray's total 47 yards would be a season changer? LOL

Don't be a goofball!!! If you don't think DM would be better fit here than Philly, and we would be better with him here, you should go find a forum in the POP Warner page and stay there!!!!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know though , what was the downside to paying him like a rookie for a 5th year ? I just don't see a con to picking up that 5th year option . Regardless of his past. It's only a couple million .

The option was 10 million for 1 season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're right . It is easier after the fact . I just thought they learned from paying old veterans Free is retiring after this year. We're stuck with his contract for 2 years. Sometimes it's just luck we guessed wrong this offseason.

The good thing is that they can dump Free after this season and his contract will have been a 1 year, 6M deal.

The bad thing is they had a replacement that they proved they could win with and now they'll have to find another replacement.

I still find it odd that they don't give Collins practice reps at RT.

coult44

Reaction score
If you're going to pay a RB 8 mill a year actually go get a guy that's worth 8 mill a year and not a no vision fumbler like Murray.

I swear people some people have NO BRAINS!

Here's something to think about, if it's possible for some to do that. Ever hear of chemistry or a team that has gelled? How about trust between a QB and a RB? I don't even know of Romo go's down, if DM were here. I talked about it last year. JR or DMC can't pass protect. How many times did DM save Romo from taking a big hit? Guess we Don't care about RB's that can block though. As long as his fantasy stats are good or Madden has him able to run the ball, who cares about real football right???

coult44

Reaction score
The running game has failed due to the blocking not the RBs. If they had kept Parnell and let Doug Free move on, they would be 4-0 right now. The running game would be functioning which would keep the defense off the field.

Nobody would have signed Claiborne to a 10M extension based on his history. Even now he still a high risk for getting injured again.

Crawford is undetermined. They paid him more than I expected. I think he might be playing through some type of injury issue right now. I say them doing something to him on the sidelines a couple of times. He needs more help surrounding him. I can't wait to have both Hardy and Gregory back at some point.

Patmon is the slot CB. He has been much better than Moore. He was never intended to take over for Claiborne. Byron Jones is developing and might be a full time CB next season when Carr is likely gone and Claiborne's status is uncertain.

They are going to have to figure out the blocking issues for any RB including Michael to succeed.

So the reason we are not 4-0 is because Parnell isn't here. Please, tell me you didn't say that!!! Surely some 12 year old boy didn't take over your brain!

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
The good thing is that they can dump Free after this season and his contract will have been a 1 year, 6M deal.

The bad thing is they had a replacement that they proved they could win with and now they'll have to find another replacement.

I still find it odd that they don't give Collins practice reps at RT.

He won't cost us any dead money ?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

There's no different scheme for getting tackled in the backfield. The only difference between Murray and what we have now is instead of getting tackled in the backfield for a 4 yard loss Murray would fight and probably get a 1 or 2 yard gain. Which is great but there's no holes there.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I disagree. This offensive line as a WHOLE have all taken a step back. That includes Zach Martin and Tyron Smith.