CFZ We need to be Patient with Mike McCarthy

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Think about it. If you are a HC, you need the FO to support your and know when to butt out. As Parcells once said, the coaches would like to buy the groceries as they know what players bests fit their vision for the team. If you see what Jerry does and the way the good quality coaches get sniped in the media while the young apprentices get rushed through and held on for a decade, then why would you coach here when you can coach in a place where you essentially can buy the groceries and/or have a lot of say on the team? That's why someone like Belichick probably will not coach here.
I would not want to coach for Jerry.
I would want total control....

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I really try hard to like Mike. But he's in deep trouble he doesn't get past where he got last season. And that's not coming from me but from the guy that signs his check.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I like Mike. He just needs to get bigger. Just ordinary fat guys aren't great coaches. He needs to be a massive grotesque fat coach. beefcake 3000, me and gorgco will guarantee a super bowl win if he gets fatter.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get what you're saying, but Jimmy came here without ever coaching in the NFL. McCarthy has been a coach in the NFL for a long time now, and has won a Super Bowl. So, his timeline should be shorter than Jimmy's in regards to getting us to the Super Bowl. My patience is running thin. :D
Jimmy quit on us...

shabazz

Reaction score
I can't even compare Johnson and McCarthy.

One was brought here to rebuild the worst team in the league, the other was handed a playoff type roster and was supposed to get it over the hump, and presumably capable due to having won a SB beforehand.

True, but since the comparison was brought up I just spoke to it. I Couldn't think of 2 more diametrically opposed coaching styles than those 2.

Big_D

Reaction score
I can't even compare Johnson and McCarthy.

One was brought here to rebuild the worst team in the league, the other was handed a playoff type roster and was supposed to get it over the hump, and presumably capable due to having won a SB beforehand.

Playoff roster? that’s comic gold right there. If you mean except for the LBs, DL and DBs ..basically a nonexistent defense and garbage special teams. Sure, they were Super Bowl ready! lol

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Playoff roster? that’s comic gold right there. If you mean except for the LBs, DL and DBs ..basically a nonexistent defense and garbage special teams. Sure, they were Super Bowl ready! lol
I see what you're saying, but it was closer to a playoff team than a full rebuild.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Patience is a good thing but that is not why Booger said he was hiring an experienced NFL HC.

McC is expected to get them there faster because of his experience level and you can bet the projected time to get there was discussed heavily in that 12 hour interview.

In order for patience to prevail, progress must be made and I cannot say that happened with the most penalized team only able to beat up the weaker teams.

Is patience required when the HC volunteers he had nothing to do with the OC, game plan or calling in the only playoff game? That, was the dumbest thing I've heard in a post game pc from a losing HC.

I think it's because of Jerry's insistence that MM didn't contribute to Moore's play calling. If it was up to MM, it would likely be different.

Now that the results of last year haven't been as successful as hoped, now, the self-appointed GM might well have changed his mind.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think it's sad for Mike McCarthy and any other head coach, that he's becoming a fall guy for the failings of our FO. He can only do what a highly limited Cowboys' front office is willing and able to provide. Therein lies an inescapable problem that no HC can rectify, whether it's MM or anyone else. Let's just appreciate what we have, instead of what we don't have. This organization is built upon a weak foundation. Here lies the problem. Jimmy Johnson found out the hard way and got out while he could. I bet he'd agree with what I've said, here. Maybe you should, too. It's not perfect -- it's, simply, what we have!

What do you mean by this?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Nothing personal to any individual. It's just a plea for our members to face the fact that this FO is self-destructive. I feel most of us do.

Yeah, but I am not planning on ditching the Cowboys any time soon. I'm just saying that we should be patient with Mike considering that a lot of coaches probably won't want to coach here with the way Jerry is sniping him in the media.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest that anyone should quit their fandom, nor the membership to this Cowboys' forum. :omg:

Just wanted to be clear about what this FO is about. I'm glad to see so much evidence that most agree. ;)

I'm absolutely certain that most of us are much like myself, and likely won't consider quitting on their team.

As far as Mike McCarthy is concerned, I'm hoping to watch him become a success as our coach this year!

Last edited:

RonWashington

Reaction score
I was sorely disappointed in a home playoff game against a team I thought Dallas should beat how unprepared and out physical the Cowboys played . That goes back to how Jerry was brooding and looked over at Payton and hey Sean want to come back to the metroplex weeks after the loss .

To be honest the 49ers ended up giving the Rams everything they could handle just that until the 4th quarter Dallas looked out of it . One and done in another playoff game and oh boy . Not make the playoffs and it’s Chan Gailey footnote time come Jan.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mike is no different a coach than Garrett. The only difference is Mike had 2 hof qb's and a competent GM.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I was sorely disappointed in a home playoff game against a team I thought Dallas should beat how unprepared and out physical the Cowboys played . That goes back to how Jerry was brooding and looked over at Payton and hey Sean want to come back to the metroplex weeks after the loss .

To be honest the 49ers ended up giving the Rams everything they could handle just that until the 4th quarter Dallas looked out of it . One and done in another playoff game and oh boy . Not make the playoffs and it’s Chan Gailey footnote time come Jan.

Let's also bear in mind that Jerry, like many egotistical personalities, will always need a scapegoat for his and his son's inadequacies.