We need to draft a RT or hope Ball/Waletzko can man it

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Steele tore his ACL December 12, 2022. It has not even been a year yet since his injury. He is clearly playing better as time goes by.

I say we keep him.
Spotrac has Steele's first potential out year in 2026. He's not going anywhere. I expect he'll be better next year.
But maybe we should stop giving contracts and guaranteed money to players coming off a major injury. Has not worked out for us lately. Schultz, Gallup, Steele, Pollard. At least with Steele, there are still substantial years of the contract where he should be fully over the injury.

Spotrac Steele

fansince68

Reaction score
I thought due to the utter destruction the previous Eagle game, our coaches would give Steele some help on the right side whenever Reddick was on Steele.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Need to draft a real center and swing tackle.
The Center’s name is Zach Frazier from West Virginia. Second maybe Third Round guy.

If Tyron Smith calls it a career, Left Tackle (probably Left Guard) becomes a need. Washington’s Troy Fautanu might be ideal, considering where the Cowboys will be drafting in the 1st.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I gotta go with this line of thinking as well.

Hes been really good his entire career and now all of a sudden hes just a mediocre player?

Its gotta be the recovery from that injury.
Where does this idea come from?

He was awful as a rookie UDFA (granted, he shouldn't have been playing anyway). In 2021 he was slightly better but still a liability as a passblocker. Last year he was a mauler in the run game but still just maybe average as a passblocker.

The injury might have slowed his development, but he's never been particularly good in pass protection.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Center’s name is Zach Frazier from West Virginia. Second maybe Third Round guy.

If Tyron Smith calls it a career, Left Tackle (probably Left Guard) becomes a need. Washington’s Troy Fautanu might be ideal, considering where the Cowboys will be drafting in the 1st.
Thanks for the info I don't follow much college ball.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Did you watch every play from him in the game yesterday? I don't think so. Because he is getting better each game. The further he is more recovered from his knee injury the better he is playing. The Cowboys won't be drafting a RT to replace him for years.
This is the real twist:

Tyron Smith's Dominance

We've seen vintage Tyron Smith in 2023 as his healthy streak has allowed him to put together a stretch of games that has him playing some of the best football of his career at left tackle. On the year, Smith has allowed just 13 pressures and zero sacks on Dak Prescott.

Part of it could be attributed to his new-and-improved practice routine during the week that doesn't have him touch the field for high intensity workouts and instead just participating in walk-throughs.

"I wouldn't bet against Tyron, ever," Schottenheimer said. "We all found a routine that we know very well. Obviously, the player knows his body better than anybody. It is a true luxury to have a guy like that that is that elite as an offensive tackle in this league. What I love about him is his wiring. He does not get too high, he does not get too low. He just has that steely-eyed look on his face."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/dan-quinn-describes-warrior-effort-from-defensive-unit

The left side of the line is a solid rock. Only the right tackle needs monitoring during a game and a lot of potential can be thrown at that position to straight things out there.

Aven8

Reaction score
I actually finally heard a report where Solari is teaching these reach blocks and it’s frustrating him. I believe they said Tyron has been frustrated by it as well.

1942willys

Reaction score

HE played worse than that and the one sack nearly broke Dak in half so frankly you sound like his PR hack
PLUS he got more help this time so trying to claim he as so much better is BS
He was better but he stank so much the first game any improvement would be impressive

CCBoy

Reaction score
I actually finally heard a report where Solari is teaching these reach blocks and it’s frustrating him. I believe they said Tyron has been frustrated by it as well.
Function there is fixed upon time and action in a specific play. I like Steele when he maintains contact...I have never liked leaving and edge player open to respond in direction with top speed. Agenda for failure.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have seen nothing from Waletzko to give me the warm and fuzzies that he can back up Steele. And he seems to get hurt every year. But, I think we wait and see what he looks like next year.

Ball looked like he was actually improving playing RG in the preseason. But he is another guy who seems to get injured.

Someone else said we need a C and I would agree with that. Biadasz is a free agent after this season and I would not pay him unless he comes cheaply. But at the same time C is such an important position on the OL drafting a rookie means a year of growing pains. I do think they can get a good prospect drafting anywhere in the 1st round though.

We have to see who Jerry can re-sign in the offseason. They have some key free agents and if they can't sign them their draft needs will change.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I have seen nothing from Waletzko to give me the warm and fuzzies that he can back up Steele. And he seems to get hurt every year. But, I think we wait and see what he looks like next year.

Ball looked like he was actually improving playing RG in the preseason. But he is another guy who seems to get injured.

Someone else said we need a C and I would agree with that. Biadasz is a free agent after this season and I would not pay him unless he comes cheaply. But at the same time C is such an important position on the OL drafting a rookie means a year of growing pains. I do think they can get a good prospect drafting anywhere in the 1st round though.

We have to see who Jerry can re-sign in the offseason. They have some key free agents and if they can't sign them their draft needs will change.
Edgoa the B/U this year, But Richards has shot over ball or wally IMHO.. Hoffman i bet isnt a bad C option.

Gambit

Reaction score
We are stuck with Steele due to Jerry stupidity of not waiting to see how well he came back from the injury. IF he had waited we could have gotten a real bargain
Honestly just trying to understand the logic here.

We are stuck with him, it would be okay to be stuck at a bargain, but not at current price.....

I can't help but notice, in both scenarios you've provided, stuck is the one common theme.

If you feel that way, why sign him at all then?