We traded a Top 5 pick for a WR

Sydla

Reaction score
And note, this isn't a rant against Cooper who might be a fine player.

But in no world where smart football reside does one think trading what might be a Top 5-7 pick for a WR was a solid move.

It's another in a long line of just *******ery from this franchise.

aikemirv

Reaction score
And note, this isn't a rant against Cooper who might be a fine player.

But in no world where smart football reside does one think trading what might be a Top 5-7 pick for a WR was a solid move.

It's another in a long line of just *******ery from this franchise.

Yep, we knew this 2 weeks ago. The fact that we are not missing out on some sure fire QB makes it a bit easier to stomach but it was a terrible trade!

4th_and_short

Reaction score
I said yesterday at work that this is another example of JJ being JJ. He overpays for anything and everything. I tried to like the trade, and then I saw Philly pick up Tate for a mid round pick, and Houston get Thomas for a late rounder.

Only JJ would give up a 1R for a WR who hasn’t produced in two frickin years. Embarrassing.

UpNorth

Reaction score
There won’t be stop tier QB available at #5 in next year’s draft...
Carson Wentz was considered a 2nd or 3rd round pick at this point in his draft year.

Mahomes wasn't considered a 1st rounder at this point.

Etc etc....

pansophy

Reaction score
Well, 40% of top 5 picks bust (around that since 2000, think slightly higher)

Cooper flashed #1 WR potential tonight.

That trade isn't the problem.
Yeah the fact that Dak was hitting Cooper was one of the few bright spots of the night. At least he seems like he will be a contributor and we absolutely would have needed a WR in a draft that doesn't have them.

dckid

Reaction score
We will lose at least four of the next five putting us at 4-9, in line for a Top 5 pick.

And our doofus of a GM traded it for a WR.

This is what happens when you panic and make an emotional decision.
I said the same thing when the trade happened.. We made John Gruden look like a genius. Only a total moronic idiot would do that trade.
I take this crap too personally.. I'm sure Howie Rosman was lauging his arse off at how stupid we are. We literally have clowns running this organization.
Can the commish please take over the Cowboys!!! This is detrimental to the health of the league

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have no problem with Cooper. He showed an ability to get separation like nobody the Cowboys have had for many years. He's got Beasley-like cut on a dime quickness with a lot more speed and better size. I was anxious about the trade, but last night eased my mind. The key is to extend his contract. If we can do that I believe we will have gotten 1st round value for the 1st round pick we traded away.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Didn’t like the trade the minute it happened. We’ll see. We weren’t a player away as evidenced by probably a top 10 pick that we pissed away.
Only a true homer could've liked this trade. I didn't think Dak was good and having Cooper wasn't going to show some new qb that had been hindered. He is one of the biggest problems on the O.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Agreed. It is has been written they were gonna draft a WR1 this next draft. Which drafted receiver is better than Cooper? None of them.
Well you and Mobs are crazy on this issue because this was a stupid trade. I guess you believe anything the cowboys media tells you? There is months before the draft things couldve change even if that was true but now we don't even have that option because of silliness.

iamliko22

Reaction score
U don't need to do the trade to find out if your quarterback is good what next trade for a good TE?

Its hard to detect my sarcasm In the question.. My bad.

IMO the pick should've been saved and if there was no one there they liked in draft next year you trade back for a extra high pick in the following draft where you have a chance at 2 really good qbs...

they traded a #1 pick for a good wr.... I personally think he will have same numbers as dez(dak factor), but dez was practically begging to come back for nothing... Amari cost a high pick and his salary is gonna be big too.. Just very poor decisions..

jsb357

Reaction score
so in turn we got a top five wide receiver.

that's how the mind of an Arkansas football guy works.

o_O

btcutter

Reaction score
Well, 40% of top 5 picks bust (around that since 2000, think slightly higher)

Cooper flashed #1 WR potential tonight.

That trade isn't the problem.

People who thought trading for WR was going to solved the problem on offense are disappointed. Again, lipstick on a pig is still a pig.

But if you think in terms of getting a #1 WR to make sure you make the right decision on future of this QB then it's not too expensive. Committing $100 million dollars to the wrong QB will set franchise back for years.

Sydla

Reaction score
I have no problem with Cooper. He showed an ability to get separation like nobody the Cowboys have had for many years. He's got Beasley-like cut on a dime quickness with a lot more speed and better size. I was anxious about the trade, but last night eased my mind. The key is to extend his contract. If we can do that I believe we will have gotten 1st round value for the 1st round pick we traded away.

Not if it turns out to be a Top 5-7 pick.

Where this franchise is, it was a dumb move and will bear out with each loss that mounts this season.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Its hard to detect my sarcasm In the question.. My bad.

IMO the pick should've been saved and if there was no one there they liked in draft next year you trade back for a extra high pick in the following draft where you have a chance at 2 really good qbs...

they traded a #1 pick for a good wr.... I personally think he will have same numbers as dez(dak factor), but dez was practically begging to come back for nothing... Amari cost a high pick and his salary is gonna be big too.. Just very poor decisions..
poor decisions indeed ...let's hope we get a new quarterback I am so tired of Dak experiment.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not if it turns out to be a Top 5-7 pick.

Where this franchise is, it was a dumb move and will bear out with each loss that mounts this season.
I would probably prefer the Top 5-7 pick, but I'm not sure Cooper isn't Top 5-7 talent. Of course, even if he is the problem is we have taken the ability to choose off the table. WR is what we are stuck with whether that's what we would have used the pick on or not.

Sydla

Reaction score
I would probably prefer the Top 5-7 pick, but I'm not sure Cooper isn't Top 5-7 talent. Of course, even if he is the problem is we have taken the ability to choose off the table. WR is what we are stuck with whether that's what we would have used the pick on or not.

We also don't likely have a QB to take advantage of Cooper.

It was a dumb move. This franchise is mired in stupidity at this tpoint.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Well you and Mobs are crazy on this issue because this was a stupid trade. I guess you believe anything the cowboys media tells you? There is months before the draft things couldve change even if that was true but now we don't even have that option because of silliness.
I saw with my own eyes last night that Cooper is worth it. Now whether Dak should be extended to be his QB is a different argument altogether.