We traded a Top 5 pick for a WR

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you think Dak is your guy, it's a good trade.
However it's looking like we're screwed.

The Natural

Reaction score
I have no problem with Cooper. He showed an ability to get separation like nobody the Cowboys have had for many years. He's got Beasley-like cut on a dime quickness with a lot more speed and better size. I was anxious about the trade, but last night eased my mind. The key is to extend his contract. If we can do that I believe we will have gotten 1st round value for the 1st round pick we traded away.
I dont think fans understand the magnitude of giving away a top 10 pick. Thats reserved for an Aaron Rodgers, Khalil Mack, maybe a Julio Jones type of player. A generational talent. Cooper aint it. We could've resigned Dez for 5 catches and 58 yards and kept a top 10 pick.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
It’s amazing how many people buy the “we were going to take a QB anyway” BS pushed by this organization.
You've watched the games this year. What was the most glaring hole on the team? Safety? Nope. CB? Nope. DL? Nope. LB? Nope. OL? Nope. QB? Sure, but Jerry hitched his wagon onto Dak, so nope. It is crystal clear to me that not having a WR1 was the issue.

Look at Zeke in the 1st half. He got ~96 yards from scrimmage in the 1st half (before they inexcusably forgot about him in the 2nd half). Before that, he didn't sniff that kind of production since Dez was here.

Disagree with me if you must, but Cooper was the right move to make. We even saw Hurns come alive now with Cooper on the field. He loosened up that defense real quick. If Dak played a better game we win (EZ INT, lost fumble, poor reads, poor pocket presence, etc.).

SSoup

Reaction score
On the plus side, he forfeited the draft pick for a good receiver in his early mid-20's instead of giving it away for a hobbled safety entering his 30's.

So it could've been worse. Silver lining, guy.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We also don't likely have a QB to take advantage of Cooper.

It was a dumb move. This franchise is mired in stupidity at this tpoint.
The possibility/likelihood we would need a QB is the one regret I have with giving up the pick. Each week I get more convinced Dak not only isn't the guy, but cannot become the guy, and I don't want to be left in limbo another couple of years trying to make him something he isn't.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We will lose at least four of the next five putting us at 4-9, in line for a Top 5 pick.

And our doofus of a GM traded it for a WR.

This is what happens when you panic and make an emotional decision.
Yep. JJ will trade back up. We will have about 3 picks.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont think fans understand the magnitude of giving away a top 10 pick. Thats reserved for an Aaron Rodgers, Khalil Mack, maybe a Julio Jones type of player. A generational talent. Cooper aint it. We could've resigned Dez for 5 catches and 58 yards and kept a top 10 pick.

The reality is not every top 10 pick is a "generational talent", and truthfully many aren't. There really aren't that many truly "generational" talents to go around. As for the comment about 5 catches for 58 yards, are you really defining Cooper's entire career with Dallas by his first and only game so far? That's not remotely a fair way to judge. Besides, what jumped out about Cooper's receptions is that he did it by actually creating separation and giving the QB a clear, open target rather than having to throw balls to a covered Dez and have him go up and fight for it.

Last edited:

The Natural

Reaction score
The reality is not every top 10 pick is a "generational talent", and truthfully many aren't. As for the comment about 5 catches for 58 yards, are you really defining Cooper's entire career with Dallas by his first and only game so far? That's not remotely a fair way to judge. Besides, what jumped out about Cooper's receptions is that he did it by actually creating separation and giving the QB a clear, open target rather than having to throw balls to a covered Dez and have him go up and fight for it.
You mean like when Dak threw that ball in the endzone to Cooper even though he was draped with two defenders and clearly wasnt open? Like i said, we could have resigned Dez for the same result and kept the pick. Fans like you who rationalize the dumb **** these buffoons in the front office continue to do is why we're in this rut.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
There won’t be stop tier QB available at #5 in next year’s draft...
Do your homework son...there is only 1 consensus QB worthy of a top 5 pick in next year’s draft, and he will be gone before the #5 pick. ANNNDDD, I wouldn’t give up multiple picks to move up and get him because he WON’T be worth all those picks, so there!

Right at this second, San Francisco, Buffalo, Arizona, Cleveland, NYJets, Indianapolis are 6 of the top 10 draft order in 2019. None of them will take QBs. The other 4 are Cowboys, Giants, Oakland, Denver. Denver is at 8 and has the same record as Dallas. Oakland still has Carr, so unless they're able to trade that contract there's no sense in it. That leaves 1 team, the New York Giants. That's how close Dallas would have been to having the single best QB in the NFL draft next April. Make a trade, move pieces around, wouldn't have been that high of a jump. The jump Philly made for Wentz. The jump STL made for Goff. The jump KC made for Mahomes, Houston made for Watson. You really did give up an opportunity to do that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The way he sets up the CB to think he is doing one thing before he does another is pretty remarkable. His route was a thing of beauty on the play where he appeared to be going deep near the sideline and actually looked over his shoulder as if looking for the ball, then stopped on a dime and came back for the pass. Not even Beasley can claim that kind of nuance and attention to detail in his route running.

BigD49

Reaction score
Cooper is a good WR man, i would have made that trade....

I think its a smart move personally, it doesnt give Dak or Garrett any excuses....our next coach and QB will love Cooper
In most segments of the world you don't go out and spend capital just so that people you know are bad don't have any excuses...you ignore their excuses and you send them on their way. Not sure why so many here are content to make sure we've exhausted all excuses before kicking these two to the curb

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean like when Dak threw that ball in the endzone to Cooper even though he was draped with two defenders and clearly wasnt open? Like i said, we could have resigned Dez for the same result and kept the pick. Fans like you who rationalize the dumb **** these buffoons in the front office continue to do is why we're in this rut.

That was Dak's fault, not Cooper's. With Dez almost every play was a fight for the ball because he created so little separation. That particular throw was the only one to Cooper in which that was the case, and he was double teamed on a short field. Dak has to be smarter than that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In most segments of the world you don't go out and spend capital just so that people you know are bad don't have any excuses...you ignore their excuses and you send them on their way. Not sure why so many here are content to make sure we've exhausted all excuses before kicking these two to the curb

I don't think that's what Mobinvans said or suggested.

BigD49

Reaction score
I don't think that's what Mobinvans said or suggested.
Perhaps I misunderstood the point he was trying to make but his quote was "I think its a smart move personally, it doesnt give Dak or Garrett any excuses....our next coach and QB will love Cooper."

My point is that we should be well past the point of making excuses and we damn sure are past trading a soon-to-be-top-10 pick just to make sure they don't have any more excuses. They both should be out Cooper aside, but we all know mgmt wanted to give Dak and Garrett one more shot with a new shiny toy before acknowledging whats already clear as day

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perhaps I misunderstood the point he was trying to make but his quote was "I think its a smart move personally, it doesnt give Dak or Garrett any excuses....our next coach and QB will love Cooper."

My point is that we should be well past the point of making excuses and we damn sure are past trading a soon-to-be-top-10 pick just to make sure they don't have any more excuses. They both should be out Cooper aside, but we all know mgmt wanted to give Dak and Garrett one more shot with a new shiny toy before acknowledging whats already clear as day

He also said the next coach will love Cooper, indicating he thinks Cooper is a very good player, and not just a player acquired to serve the purpose of taking away excuses.