We traded a Top 5 pick for a WR

The Natural

Reaction score
That was Dak's fault, not Cooper's. With Dez almost every play was a fight for the ball because he created so little separation. That particular throw was the only one to Cooper in which that was the case, and he was double teamed on a short field. Dak has to be smarter than that.
The film tells a different story. This no separation stuff is a CZ fable.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
And note, this isn't a rant against Cooper who might be a fine player.

But in no world where smart football reside does one think trading what might be a Top 5-7 pick for a WR was a solid move.

It's another in a long line of just *******ery from this franchise.

Exactly...…….I got no problem with Cooper, he is stud WR...…...but you dont trade a top 5 pick for WR when your QB sucks.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The way he sets up the CB to think he is doing one thing before he does another is pretty remarkable. His route was a thing of beauty on the play where he appeared to be going deep near the sideline and actually looked over his shoulder as if looking for the ball, then stopped on a dime and came back for the pass. Not even Beasley can claim that kind of nuance and attention to detail in his route running.

Cooper's route running is off the charts...………..He was the best WR on the field last night for either team.

Too bad we dont have a QB to take advantage of that:(

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The film tells a different story. This no separation stuff is a CZ fable.

I probably exaggerated a bit saying almost every route was a fight for the ball with Dez, but I don't think it's remotely an exaggeration to say Dez never ran routes remotely as well as Cooper, or that he didn't get anything near the same separation. Dez's mindset, I believe, was to "out athlete" opponents, whereas what I saw from Cooper was a technician who doesn't only rely on superior athleticism, but also on precision and deception and nuance, setting up DB's to get them off balance and leaning one way while he cuts another. Go back in this thread and watch the video of his receptions in this game, including the replays that focus specifically on his route, and see how he sets up the DB to make them think he is going to do something different than he ends up doing. That's not something we saw with Dez.

visionary

Reaction score
That's not rationalizing that's facts. You guys complain that they are dumb yet y'all have faith they wouldn't screw up the first rounder next year? Ok lol.

It was a horrible deal

And, yes, it is rationalizing

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Cooper is a good WR man, i would have made that trade....

I think its a smart move personally, it doesnt give Dak or Garrett any excuses....our next coach and QB will love Cooper

After what I saw last night, I tend to agree. Cooper looked good. The issue the the OP is rightly raising is--who's going to throw him the ball?

But Amari ran a lot of really good routes.

Just a darn shame we have a complete loser at the QB spot who can't take advantage of him.

garyv

Reaction score
We will lose at least four of the next five putting us at 4-9, in line for a Top 5 pick.

And our doofus of a GM traded it for a WR.

This is what happens when you panic and make an emotional decision.

It will just means Round 2 and 3 will be really high !!!

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I think we are likely giving up an elite Safety or elite D-lineman. The top of this draft isn’t great and QB isn’t an option. So while I think they overpaid for AC, it isn’t as bad as it could have been IMO. The main thing is they need AC to be a legit top 5-10 receiver. Not necessarily in production but at least in ability.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think we are likely giving up an elite Safety or elite D-lineman. The top of this draft isn’t great and QB isn’t an option. So while I think they overpaid for AC, it isn’t as bad as it could have been IMO. The main thing is they need AC to be a legit top 5-10 receiver. Not necessarily in production but at least in ability.

This pick will likely be in the range where we’d have a shot at Oliver or the stud DT from Bama.

I’ll say it til i grow old.

It was a dumb trade made out of panic and deaperation and not a clear vision of what this team was.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They’ve been better at hitting on first round picks than trading for players, that’s for sure.

It was a stupid move and gets dumber with each loss.
Ylol u can't call them morons and then have blind faith in them to do well with that first round pick when they have a history of doing stupid things when they are desperate.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I’ll say it til i grow old.

It was a dumb trade made out of panic and deaperation and not a clear vision of what this team was.

Correct! The idea that this team was one WR away from being a true contender is dumb. Flawed analysis.

Many say Cooper was better than any WR the Cowboys could have drafted in the first round- But what about other positions? DL? OL? TE? QB? Safety? Who knows what players might have been available at what appears to be a rising drafting position.

The Cowboys will have allocated 2 very high first round draft picks to the RB and WR positions. This is just very very poor resource allocation. Those super high picks need to go towards an elite QB and elite defensive players- not RB and WR.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Top five pick? No.

As bad as the Cowboys are, the Giants, 49ers, Cardinals, Bills, Browns, Raiders, Buccaneers, and Jets are going to be jockeying for a top five pick.

And even if Dallas gave up a top five pick for Cooper, that means 33-37 range in the second. It's easy to trade back into the bottom of round one from there, if you're looking for a bright spot.