Weather where you are

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
17 degrees my wife adjusted the thermostat it is 92 degrees and falling in here wish I had a way to lock the thermostat I was sweating

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
22 degrees right now.

Over 500 people in homeless shelters across the city.
I am crazy but I use to sleep in a tent in my back yard when it got really cold just to do it Small tent sleeping bag only sometimes a dog she also liked it

triplets_93

Reaction score
SUNDAY:

9:00 A.M. On Sunday Erie County County Executive Mark Poloncarz said the travel ban will remain in effect due to more snow accumulating Saturday night. Also, that there are 26, 000 power outages in Erie County and 20,000 in Buffalo. He said the earliest power will be restored is Monday.

Poloncarz said there were four deaths overnight in Erie County from the winter storm, totaling seven deaths as of this morning.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/weathe...f-9c8d-4ede-9ba6-17ca150b637e?ref=exit-recirc

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
SUNDAY:

9:00 A.M. On Sunday Erie County County Executive Mark Poloncarz said the travel ban will remain in effect due to more snow accumulating Saturday night. Also, that there are 26, 000 power outages in Erie County and 20,000 in Buffalo. He said the earliest power will be restored is Monday.

Poloncarz said there were four deaths overnight in Erie County from the winter storm, totaling seven deaths as of this morning.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/weathe...f-9c8d-4ede-9ba6-17ca150b637e?ref=exit-recirc

This must be why everyone keeps telling I’m stupid for wanting to move back NE.

Hope all of you stuck in it stay safe.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
The temps finally got about freezing yesterday after 4 days of brutal cold. This morning was the first since Wednesday I didn't have to carry 5 gal buckets of water from the house to water troughs. I just had to carry them from the well house.

T-RO

Reaction score
Too much of a good thing could be coming to California and western states over the next couple weeks. Remember, snow pack is already above average right now.

System after system have lining up, poised to hit the west. Again and again...For weeks!

Much of the state has been in dreadful drought. This week brings rain for much of the state, but in Northern California it could be a bit much. They are expecting 5-15 inches of rain over next 10 days.

This could be very good news. Let's hope it doesn't get out of hand.

T-RO

Reaction score
NINE (!) different storm systems are currently forecast to hit the West coast -- between now (Dec 26) and Jan 11. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 storm systems, That in just two weeks.

Parts of Sierras are expecting >120 inches of snow in next 10 days. (based on one popular model)

California could get clear of its drought, but also be in a world of hurt w/flooding.

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
It's been miserable and my local Highway District does almost next to nothing to clear the roads. They will not use snowmelt, the best you get is sand. That works when the temperature is above freezing but once freezing sets in, it just creates a massive problem because all that slush freezes. My 15-20 minute commute from work took about 45 the other night and people were sliding all over the place. Literally 10-15 mph.

When I lived in Denver, they didn't play around. You'd see convoys of trucks lined up across 4 lanes and staggered a bit so one truck could push it to the next lane over, and the next truck would do the same until the final truck pushed it off the road. I had almost no issues with commuting in Denver, but here there's an annual excuse from the Highway District of "we never expected it to get this bad".

Flamma

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why people don't try to stay home during blizzards? I know I do. You can't tell me all of those people have to be on the road.

A few years back I was on a plow team on the New Jersey Turnpike. There are 6 trucks going from shoulder to shoulder across the highway traveling at around 25mph. I was somewhere in the middle. After a while I glanced at my mirror and I kid you not, there was a sea of vehicles behind us. This was around midnight.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I don't understand is why people don't try to stay home during blizzards? I know I do. You can't tell me all of those people have to be on the road.

A few years back I was on a plow team on the New Jersey Turnpike. There are 6 trucks going from shoulder to shoulder across the highway traveling at around 25mph. I was somewhere in the middle. After a while I glanced at my mirror and I kid you not, there was a sea of vehicles behind us. This was around midnight.
I think most people do stay in, but some people have to get out due to work or to check on other family members, especially vulnerable family members.

If I was unable to get ahold of my family during a blizzard, storm, etc. and I was concerned for them, I would get out in the weather regardless of the risks.

That being said, I typically help them prepare before the weather arrives to make that less likely to happen.

The real issue is that weather channels and meteorologists constantly make each storm sound like an extinction event to the point that many people assume they are crying wolf no matter how much they hype the potential dangers.