News: WEEI: Overrated Cowboys defense should be no match for Mac Jones, Patriots

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I'm not saying the stats the article gave are accurate because they didn't list a primary source, but a lot of people are mixing up pressure with pressure percentage. Part of the reason the Cowboys are high in pressures is because they are seeing so many pass attempts because of blowouts. So the Cowboys could be ranked relatively high in pressures but relatively low in pressure percentage. The same thing applies to rush defense where the Cowboys are #5 in total rush yards allowed but 14th in yards per rush allowed. The attempts aren't there for opponents to get more rush yards because teams are behind.

DanA

Reaction score
There are many problems with the article.

• You can say some of Diggs' interceptions are luck except its not just 6 in 5 games, it's also 9 in 10 games with the trend extending beyond this season alone. At some point you have to give him props and admit its not just luck, that will probably occur after this week for Patriots fans and this writer.
  • While we have given up yards there are two factors to consider. 1. Dallas hasn't played chumps, we've played three 4-1 teams (Panthers, Buccs, Chargers), and 2. We've given up a lot of junk time yards running down the clock.
  • We don't have an edge rusher with a top 10 win rate.....but it must be close because Parson's was 7th prior to the Giants game and both Gregory and Osa are playing well. . And again, Buccs and Chargers have pretty good O-line's which impacts things with a sample size of 5 games.
Just a junk article really that lacks an understanding of these stats in context.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
There are many problems with the article.

• You can say some of Diggs' interceptions are luck except its not just 6 in 5 games, it's also 9 in 10 games with the trend extending beyond this season alone. At some point you have to give him props and admit its not just luck, that will probably occur after this week for Patriots fans and this writer.
  • While we have given up yards there are two factors to consider. 1. Dallas hasn't played chumps, we've played three 4-1 teams (Panthers, Buccs, Chargers), and 2. We've given up a lot of junk time yards running down the clock.
  • We don't have an edge rusher with a top 10 win rate.....but it must be close because Parson's was 7th prior to the Giants game and both Gregory and Osa are playing well. . And again, Buccs and Chargers have pretty good O-line's which impacts things with a sample size of 5 games.
Just a junk article really that lacks an understanding of these stats in context.
Another week, another fan base talking themselves into underrating Dallas

DanA

Reaction score
I'm not saying the stats the article gave are accurate because they didn't list a primary source, but a lot of people are mixing up pressure with pressure percentage. Part of the reason the Cowboys are high in pressures is because they are seeing so many pass attempts because of blowouts. So the Cowboys could be ranked relatively high in pressures but relatively low in pressure percentage. The same thing applies to rush defense where the Cowboys are #5 in total rush yards allowed but 14th in yards per rush allowed. The attempts aren't there for opponents to get more rush yards because teams are behind.

This is true and I accept this to a point. There's a few things to consider

• We haven't really faced a good running back with Eckler rolling his ankle and Saquon injured early, that's a factor
  • The attempts to run the ball aren't there because teams are behind.....by the same logic, the attempt to stop the run aren't there because teams are behind.
We really haven't seen what our run defense is like, we haven't had the opportunity but I suspect when we want to, we can stop the run.

On the pas rush. I'm more willing to accept the low pressure percentage as a concern. I think we have some pretty good individuals (Parsons, Gregory, Osa) and are missing some decent options (D-Law, Gallimore) but the overall depth on the D-line hasn't been quite as great as people make out and the good offense covers up some of the injury issues and problems with pressure we've had.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The reason to care is that the yards given up are generally more predictive than the takeaways. So if you're interested in what we'll do in future games, you should be a little concerned about all those receivers running free in the secondary and all those big running plays. The takeaways have papered that over so far, but if we slow down in that department, we could have problems (unless we improve in other areas, about which I'm hopeful).

Of course I'd prefer lockdown guys but that's not this team. Make them throw and make them pay. That's what we can do. Mac will get yards but we will win.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Through five weeks, the Dallas Cowboys defense is proving to be the Imagine Dragons of NFL defenses: they have some hits, but the product as a whole is vastly overrated.

Despite the Cowboys being one of the best in the league in one key stat we’ll get to later, there’s a laundry list of others they aren’t so high in:

-- Second-most passing yards allowed

ADVERTISING
-- Eighth-most total yards allowed

-- Fourth-most yards per play allowed (6.3)

-- Fifth-least in pressure percentage

-- Eighth-most missed tackles

-- Most penalized defense

In addition, Dallas does not have a single defensive lineman rank in the top 10 in any of ESPN’s defensive win rate statistics. The unit as a whole ranks 16th and 17th in pass rush win rate and run stop win rate, respectively. These onslaught of stats are to point out that the Dallas defense, as a whole and as individuals, mostly range somewhere from medicare to below average.

Read the rest: https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/...boys-defense-should-be-no-match-for-mac-jones

Well now

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I love the argument against Diggs' picks.

Pick No. 1 = Mistake
Pick No. 2 = Mistake
Pick No. 3 = Mistake
Pick No. 4 = Mistake
Pick No. 5 = Mistake
Pick No. 6 = Mistake

I guess that's what WEEI calls being in the right place at the right time. :laugh:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This game will result in Billicheat thinking about retirement.

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
It's actually not that bad of an article. Although I continue to think that pass yards per game is an overrated stat when your opponents are playing from behind in the second half of games as we've seen so far this season.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Wow, talk about a slanted article. lol I couldn't take it serious once the writer started talking about Diggs interceptions being "flukes".

Scotman

Reaction score
I hope Diggs gets his pick on their first offensive play so I don't have to wait on it for a long time.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
When your team is not very good, attack the other team's stats.

About all they can do...

Flamma

Reaction score
The Cowboys will be lucky to keep the loss at under double digits. Mac Jones is equal to or better than Dak Prescott, and the coaches shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. The Cowboys D is opportunistic, but don't expect much luck against a Belichick run offense. Bill all but shut down Tom Brady so it shouldn't be too tough here with Dak. Expect a relatively low scoring game with the Pats winning 21 or 24 to 10.