News: WEEI: Overrated Cowboys defense should be no match for Mac Jones, Patriots

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean if we are going to go through stats and claim the Cowboys defense isn't good and that Mac Jones should have no problem with it, let's deep dive in to the Pats offense.

- The Patriots are 26th in yard per game

- They are 26th in points per game

- 27th in yards rushing per game

- 20th in yards passing per game

- Patriots are 27th in yards per play

- 25th in rushing TDs

- 28th in passing TDs

- 24th in interception percentage (the lower the worse you are)

This Mac Jones that WEEI claims should have no problem with this Dallas D?

- He's 25th in QB rating

- 23rd in QBR

- 28th in TD/Interception ratio

LOL at WEEI acting like the Pats are running out an elite offense like the Chiefs or Bucs or Cardinals that can deal with an average NFL defense like it's nothing.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Good list.

ADVERTISING is the greatest area of concern I have about this defense.

:D

Through five weeks, the Dallas Cowboys defense is proving to be the Imagine Dragons of NFL defenses: they have some hits, but the product as a whole is vastly overrated.

Despite the Cowboys being one of the best in the league in one key stat we’ll get to later, there’s a laundry list of others they aren’t so high in:

-- Second-most passing yards allowed

ADVERTISING
-- Eighth-most total yards allowed

-- Fourth-most yards per play allowed (6.3)

-- Fifth-least in pressure percentage

-- Eighth-most missed tackles

-- Most penalized defense

In addition, Dallas does not have a single defensive lineman rank in the top 10 in any of ESPN’s defensive win rate statistics. The unit as a whole ranks 16th and 17th in pass rush win rate and run stop win rate, respectively. These onslaught of stats are to point out that the Dallas defense, as a whole and as individuals, mostly range somewhere from medicare to below average.

Read the rest: https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/...boys-defense-should-be-no-match-for-mac-jones

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This is just delusional Patriots propaganda. It's intended to ease the minds of the New England fans but anyone that has watched the Cowboys this season knows it's just not true. The Cowboys are going to stack several points on the Patriots. If Mac Jones and that Patriots offense is so good, I challenge them to keep up. I think our "overrated" defense will fair well. ;)

Reactions: BAT

AyeAtey

Reaction score
In short, always respect your opponent...and that goes for you also NE.

crashintonickdm

Reaction score
Nobody cares about the pats anymore. They’re all back to being NY giants fans again

Tom Brady isn’t there to save the franchise anymore

lukin2006

Reaction score
Of course we’ve given up lots of pass yards…teams are forced to pass playing catch-up…

The D is playing much better than we could’ve hope for…

CWR

Reaction score
In terms of importance.

1. Point total

2. Turnovers

3. Pressure / Sacks

4. Yards

4. Yards- such a garbage stat in comparison to the others you listed. These talking heads have no concept of context. It's not the defenses fault we are beating the crap out of teams and playing conservatively to eat clock and close out games.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I don't think anyone, even Dallas fans, claimed this to be a "good" defense. How is the D overrated?

CWR

Reaction score
Some of these fellas having a real hard time dealing with the fact Dallas has a damn good team and is going to make noise. They are reaching hard to discredit the Cowboys.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Pats could have beaten Tampa, just like us. That's about all the credit I can give the Pats.

It was raining and windy that night, which leveled the playing field especially at QB. Otherwise, TB wins by 14

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Through five weeks, the Dallas Cowboys defense is proving to be the Imagine Dragons of NFL defenses: they have some hits, but the product as a whole is vastly overrated.

Despite the Cowboys being one of the best in the league in one key stat we’ll get to later, there’s a laundry list of others they aren’t so high in:

-- Second-most passing yards allowed

ADVERTISING
-- Eighth-most total yards allowed

-- Fourth-most yards per play allowed (6.3)

-- Fifth-least in pressure percentage

-- Eighth-most missed tackles

-- Most penalized defense

In addition, Dallas does not have a single defensive lineman rank in the top 10 in any of ESPN’s defensive win rate statistics. The unit as a whole ranks 16th and 17th in pass rush win rate and run stop win rate, respectively. These onslaught of stats are to point out that the Dallas defense, as a whole and as individuals, mostly range somewhere from medicare to below average.

Read the rest: https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/...boys-defense-should-be-no-match-for-mac-jones
I wonder what the stats look like after 3 quarters, given we have had big leads going into 4th quarter of 3 games in a row now and played prevent defense, giving up yards and a few scores...

Sydla

Reaction score
Based on the performance of the Pats offense and Mac Jones this year, you could easily reverse this and claim that Mac Jones and the Pats O should be no match for the Cowboys D.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Boston media whistling past the graveyard.

Jones is going to be seeing ghosts and their D is going to wish it was dead.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
No stat is more misleading than pass yards allowed. The reasons are many:

1. Dallas is having such huge second half leads
2. Opponents can't run, so they have to pass
3. I read that most of the pass yards given up have been in the 4th quarter. Look at Dallas' past three wins and every game was essentially over by then.

elcowboi

Reaction score
The Boys have NO chance according to this writer. That sounded like their version of Spagnola.

roughneck266

Reaction score
Zeke has more rushing yards than their entire offense. Trevon has more int's than their entire defense. We have scored 170 points, they have scored 96, and I would offer that it was against inferior teams as a whole.
The only possible advantage they have is Belicheat.