Week 14: Cowboys vs. Chiefs Videos Here

ZenItRam

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Not sure, never done it before actually.

I bought my DVD Recorder last week and this is my first recording which I have already ripped it to the Hard Drive to make menus and do some other razzle dazzle stuff with it.

I have done a ton of conversions "Some media" to "DVD" but I have never went the other way "DVD" to "AVI".

I dont know how long the Conversion is going to take and how big the files are going to be.

I think WinAVI will do DVD to AVI (I just dont know which files in the VIDEO_TS to choose).

Once I figure that out, if the files are too big, I will just break them up into small pieces using a software called VirtualMod.

I will start the conversion before I go work out at around 5:30. Once I come back, hopefully it will be done and I can just break them up before going to the movies :).

- Mike G.

rock on!!! post it!!!

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...I got it mixed up the other way and thought that Roy was on the defensive left side of the ball.

This is an easy coverage. Play the safeties principle job is to provide deep help on their half of the zones. If the corners release a man they must play over top of the recievers working into their zone.

Can't provide coverage when you are sucked into the middle.

TEK2000

Reaction score
I would imagine you're still going to run into a file size of well over 1GB.. more like 3 or 4GB if you don't compress it to the point that the quality is awful. Then the REAL problem becomes sharing them... rapidshare.de limits files to 100MB.. you wind up with 30 or 40 files. (but that's just 1 free file hosting service)

I'll check my on-demand when I get home.. the NFL Replay of the game should be up by now and I could put that up for download.

Someone's probably posted the DirectTV shortcuts on torrent by now too.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
TEK2000 said:
I would imagine you're still going to run into a file size of well over 1GB.. more like 3 or 4GB if you don't compress it to the point that the quality is awful. Then the REAL problem becomes sharing them... rapidshare.de limits files to 100MB.. you wind up with 30 or 40 files. (but that's just 1 free file hosting service)

I'll check my on-demand when I get home.. the NFL Replay of the game should be up by now and I could put that up for download.

Someone's probably posted the DirectTV shortcuts on torrent by now too.

I think you are right as the DVD files themselves are fairly large. I will just go through the motions though as I have never done this type of conversion before.

- Mike G.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AdamJT13 said:
Reality, the player you're blaming is Fujita. But he was in his zone, right where he should have been.

Here's a good diagram of how the coverage should be played --

924292cover2.JPG

Now look at the fourth photo you posted --

9103914.jpg

Everyone is in proper position but Davis, whose back was turned to Kennison and who didn't have the proper depth because he bit on the fake.
I agree that the linebackers are supposed to cover a "zone" but if you look at the play, there are 5 offensive linemen blocking for the quarterback (6 players at or behind the line of scrimage). There were 5 receivers running patterns.

In that situation, Fujita (I will assume it was him) had no one left to cover on the field outside of the quarterback who wasn't going to run given the lack of time left. Fujita should have taken the out route in the flat allowing Newman to stick with the receiver.

Davis saw Fujita appear to cover the out route, Newman cover Kennison and because of that, Davis went to the middle to help the middle linebacker who was covering a receiver going deep down the middle. In this case, Davis cannot be blamed in my opinion because he did what he was taught based on what he saw.

If you look at the last two images, Fujita is the only player on the field who is at least 10 yards away from every KC player yet he's in the middle of the field.

-Reality

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Hello? Roy was on the other side of the field.

...with this because I initially got it wrong. The only way to settle the debate is to blow up the video to the point where everyone can see the backs of the jerseys.

I think we will all see Davis' name on the back of the jersey at the middle of the field with his back to Kennison.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Reality said:
I agree that the linebackers are supposed to cover a "zone" but if you look at the play, there are 5 offensive linemen blocking for the quarterback (6 players at or behind the line of scrimage). There were 5 receivers running patterns.

In that situation, Fujita (I will assume it was him) had no one left to cover on the field outside of the quarterback who wasn't going to run given the lack of time left. Fujita should have taken the out route in the flat allowing Newman to stick with the receiver.

Davis saw Fujita appear to cover the out route, Newman cover Kennison and because of that, Davis went to the middle to help the middle linebacker who was covering a receiver going deep down the middle. In this case, Davis cannot be blamed in my opinion because he did what he was taught based on what he saw.

If you look at the last two images, Fujita is the only player on the field who is at least 10 yards away from every KC player yet he's in the middle of the field.

-Reality

It's a zone coverage -- they have to cover zones, not players. There is a receiver short over the middle and short to the outside on Fujita's side. If Green holds the ball a second longer, or especially if he begins to scramble to buy time, either of those receivers could go into Fujita's zone. Just because there's nobody in Fujita's zone at that moment doesn't mean he can leave his zone completely. The key to zone coverage is each player being in the right spot and reacting to the ball -- and it's Davis clearly who is out of position. Even if he wanted to shade toward Gonzalez, he should be 2 or 3 yards deeper and facing the other direction, which would allow him to react to the throw to Kennison as well. Instead, he's completely turned around and unable to react.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
517826cover2lineup1.JPG

Blue arrow = Roy Williams, wearing white sleeves

Red arrow = Keith Davis, not wearing sleeves

Here's a shot of Roy, clearly wearing sleeves --

capt.irv10212112329.chiefs_cowboys_irv102.jpg

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Anyone have video of the kickoff, I believe after the flea-flicker, where Davis, I think, just blew right through the Chiefs wedge and the got Hall around the 16?

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
Thanks for video's and the frame by frame analysis on the coverage breakdown. Great work.

Also I noticed on Glenn's rushing TD. That when they faked the handoff to Barber he could of easily run it for a TD. Either way we would of scored 6 points.

wsmith_1972

Reaction score
Bob Davies guide to playing cover 2.
http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=football&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com%2Fncf%2Fcolumns%2Fdavie%2F1437187.html

KC did a combination of the two schemes below (Stretching the safeties and stretching the corners). On occasions players have to cover one-on-one as in this case.

As you can see, Cover 2 is a zone coverage, but it is critical that the underneath defenders at times play man-to-man based on the routes the offense runs. This is the second technique that helps the safety. For example, if the wide receiver to the linebacker side releases outside in a position to stretch the safety deep, the linebacker must know that. He then must carry his coverage on the running back or tight end through the deep zone. This is called pattern read, which means based on what pattern the offense runs, man-to-man principles are applied. This is an example of a linebacker making a pattern read. In the diagram, he sees that the receiver (1) releases outside the corner and he knows that he must carry (2) through the seam where the safety will be outnumbered.

Note: #2 happened here. There is a variation, however. The receiver didn't initially release to the outside (Newman bump him inside), however, a RB slid into Newman's fifth. What should have happen was Fujita should have made the "pattern read" that a RB was releasing into Newman's fifth. He should have then carried (follow) the TE into the deep zone. Misconception is that cover 2 is purely a zone coverage. It is not. On occasions man-to-man has to be played. Newman should have then released his receiver to Davis and covered the RB in his zone. Davis would have picked up the WR in the deep zone. Since Fujita didn't make the "pattern read" he left Davis with two guys to cover. The play was screwed up here. An outnumbered safety is pretty much screwed. This is why you cannot blame Davis for this play.

0926_3.gif

The first thing an offense will do if they see Cover 2 is see how you defend four vertical receivers running down the field stretching the two safeties. If Cover 2 is not played properly, this is the first place the offense will go and it could result in a big play. In the previous figure, we showed how to defend four vertical by the corners flattening out the wide receivers and the underneath coverage linebackers running with the vertical of the tight end and running back. But it is also obvious by the previous diagram that if the linebackers fail, a big play is possible.

0926_4.gif

The next way the offense will attack Cover 2 is to stretch the corners vertically. The most common way to attack Cover 2 is to high-low the corner who has the outside fifth or flat responsibility. The outside wide receiver runs a post-corner route. In other words, he fakes as if he will run a deep route, which freezes the safety, then breaks back outside to the corner. He knows the safety must stay inside and protect his inside one-half and not allow the receiver to cross his face (which means getting inside of him). The corner tries to sink and help defend the hole between he and the safety to his outside. The offense will then release a tight end or running back into the corner's fifth to create a high-low stretch.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
wsmith_1972 said:
Bob Davies guide to playing cover 2.
http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=football&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com%2Fncf%2Fcolumns%2Fdavie%2F1437187.html

KC did a combination of the two schemes below (Stretching the safeties and stretching the corners). On occasions players have to cover one-on-one as in this case.

As you can see, Cover 2 is a zone coverage, but it is critical that the underneath defenders at times play man-to-man based on the routes the offense runs. This is the second technique that helps the safety. For example, if the wide receiver to the linebacker side releases outside in a position to stretch the safety deep, the linebacker must know that. He then must carry his coverage on the running back or tight end through the deep zone. This is called pattern read, which means based on what pattern the offense runs, man-to-man principles are applied. This is an example of a linebacker making a pattern read. In the diagram, he sees that the receiver (1) releases outside the corner and he knows that he must carry (2) through the seam where the safety will be outnumbered.

Note: #2 happened here. There is a variation, however. The receiver didn't initially release to the outside (Newman bump him inside), however, a RB slid into Newman's fifth. What should have happen was Fujita should have made the "pattern read" that a RB was releasing into Newman's fifth. He should have then carried (follow) the TE into the deep zone. Misconception is that cover 2 is purely a zone coverage. It is not. On occasions man-to-man has to be played. Newman should have then released his receiver to Davis and covered the RB in his zone. Davis would have picked up the WR in the deep zone. Since Fujita didn't make the "pattern read" he left Davis with two guys to cover. The play was screwed up here. An outnumbered safety is pretty much screwed. This is why you cannot blame Davis for this play.

0926_3.gif

The first thing an offense will do if they see Cover 2 is see how you defend four vertical receivers running down the field stretching the two safeties. If Cover 2 is not played properly, this is the first place the offense will go and it could result in a big play. In the previous figure, we showed how to defend four vertical by the corners flattening out the wide receivers and the underneath coverage linebackers running with the vertical of the tight end and running back. But it is also obvious by the previous diagram that if the linebackers fail, a big play is possible.

0926_4.gif

The next way the offense will attack Cover 2 is to stretch the corners vertically. The most common way to attack Cover 2 is to high-low the corner who has the outside fifth or flat responsibility. The outside wide receiver runs a post-corner route. In other words, he fakes as if he will run a deep route, which freezes the safety, then breaks back outside to the corner. He knows the safety must stay inside and protect his inside one-half and not allow the receiver to cross his face (which means getting inside of him). The corner tries to sink and help defend the hole between he and the safety to his outside. The offense will then release a tight end or running back into the corner's fifth to create a high-low stretch.

...consideration, but I was always taught that no matter what you never let anyone get behind you in football. If there's an open man in front of you at least you can make a play and keep them out of the house.

If you're the last man and he's behind you, with the right pass it's over.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I think what is getting lost in all of this is that some key players on this defense seem to struggle in Zone coverage.

If I was a coach of a team that featured Roy Williams and Keith Davis as my safety, I NEVER EVEEER draw up a scheme where a Kennison, Terrell Owens, Chris Chambers or Santana Moss could be mono-y-mono with any of my safeties which means scrapping Cover 2 totally.

How many times do we have to get burned in this Defense before it is scrapped or Zimmer becomes more creative with it and disguise it more.

Should not have never been in that defense in the first place. We were destroyed in on Thanksgiving Day in 2003 against Miami, we were destroyed in it against the Eagles on Monday Night Football in 2004 and we were destroyed while playing a version of it against the Commanders in 2005.

Zimmer needs to teach these guys how to play their Zones and draw up some schemes to better disguise.

- Mike G.