Week 14: Cowboys vs. Chiefs Videos Here

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
I think what is getting lost in all of this is that some key players on this defense seem to struggle in Zone coverage.

If I was a coach of a team that featured Roy Williams and Keith Davis as my safety, I NEVER EVEEER draw up a scheme where a Kennison, Terrell Owens, Chris Chambers or Santana Moss could be mono-y-mono with any of my safeties which means scrapping Cover 2 totally.

How many times do we have to get burned in this Defense before it is scrapped or Zimmer becomes more creative with it and disguise it more.

Should not have never been in that defense in the first place. We were destroyed in on Thanksgiving Day in 2003 against Miami, we were destroyed in it against the Eagles on Monday Night Football in 2004 and we were destroyed while playing a version of it against the Commanders in 2005.

Zimmer needs to teach these guys how to play their Zones and draw up some schemes to better disguise.

- Mike G.

...I've always considered Roy and Davis as better safeties closer to the line than out in coverage. If it was me and we are down to the last few plays of a game with obvious passing situations, I would flop the roles and put a healthy Henry and Newman back in two deep. Let Roy and Davis play two of the LB roles and bring out Glenn and Reeves to cover the corners.

That would be your dime package in obvious passing downs. As long as Henry and Newman understand the roles of safety.

wsmith_1972

Reaction score
The best safety in the league could not have help you on this play. It was not the safety's fault.

I guess he could have tripped one guy and went after the other one.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
wsmith_1972 said:
The best safety in the league could not have help you on this play. It was not the safety's fault.

I guess he could have tripped one guy and went after the other one.

...I would have let Gonzalez go and stay over top of Kennison. Gonzo would have been Roy's responsibility. Anything underneath is exactly that - underneath and you haven't given up a TD.

The purpose is to prevent TDs with each play. Even if you give up yardage you eventually have the advantage of a shortened field in the redzone then the odds tip in favour of the defence. Prevent the TD and give up FGs - you will always have a chance to be in a game with that philosophy.

wsmith_1972

Reaction score
If Davis went to Kennison, Gonzo runs straight or even towards the direction Davis is running. Roy would have been 10 yards away when the ball got to Gonzo.

The reason Roy looked even in the play was that Gonzo was taking Davis away from the sideline.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
wsmith_1972 said:
If Davis went to Kennison, Gonzo runs straight or even towards the direction Davis is running. Roy would have been 10 yards away when the ball got to Gonzo.

The reason Roy looked even in the play was that Gonzo was taking Davis away from the sideline.
...know where you are getting this from?

Look at the fourth picture that AdamJt posted. Roy is at the 23 yard line when the pass is caught, Gonzo is at the 27 yard line in "coach speak" that means you didn't let the receiver get behind you. Now it doesn't mean you will make the play and tackle him, but Roy is only 7 yards away from one hash to the the hash. (Look at the picture!!!!) He has a chance at him.

Now look at the bottom of the same picture. There is no one near Kennison for at least ten yards if not more. The error could have been possibly made by Newman for releasing him, but I highly doubt it given it's straight cover 2 from what I can see.

Davis is the FREAKIN SAFETY the last man on his side before the goal line hence the term "safety". Not the last man on the whole field. This was not centre field dime coverage!

If you read any books on football 101 despite any schemes there are basic tenets to the game and when you are a sfety on a two deep zone at equal depth you don't EVER LET THE MAN GO FREE ON YOUR SIDE! NEVER EVER!

That's how you get chewed out in this game. Gonzo's shaded more to Roy's side. At the time of Davis move to Gonzo, no one had more depth than Roy, Davis should have known that by watching the field.

I'm sorry if you can't see that in the pictures. There's no more help here.

wsmith_1972

Reaction score
davidyee said:

Look at the fourth picture that AdamJt posted. Roy is at the 23 yard line when the pass is caught, Gonzo is at the 27 yard line in "coach speak" that means you didn't let the receiver get behind you. Now it doesn't mean you will make the play and tackle him, but Roy is only 7 yards away from one hash to the the hash. (Look at the picture!!!!) He has a chance at him.

QUOTE]

You are assuming he runs the same route. He doesn't. No way he cuts into the post if Davis is not on him. He would have gone straight or even cheat to the open area to the right vacated by Davis (if he went to cover Kennison).

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
wsmith_1972 said:
Bob Davies guide to playing cover 2.
http://football.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=football&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com%2Fncf%2Fcolumns%2Fdavie%2F1437187.html

KC did a combination of the two schemes below (Stretching the safeties and stretching the corners). On occasions players have to cover one-on-one as in this case.

As you can see, Cover 2 is a zone coverage, but it is critical that the underneath defenders at times play man-to-man based on the routes the offense runs. This is the second technique that helps the safety. For example, if the wide receiver to the linebacker side releases outside in a position to stretch the safety deep, the linebacker must know that. He then must carry his coverage on the running back or tight end through the deep zone. This is called pattern read, which means based on what pattern the offense runs, man-to-man principles are applied. This is an example of a linebacker making a pattern read. In the diagram, he sees that the receiver (1) releases outside the corner and he knows that he must carry (2) through the seam where the safety will be outnumbered.

Note: #2 happened here. There is a variation, however. The receiver didn't initially release to the outside (Newman bump him inside), however, a RB slid into Newman's fifth. What should have happen was Fujita should have made the "pattern read" that a RB was releasing into Newman's fifth. He should have then carried (follow) the TE into the deep zone. Misconception is that cover 2 is purely a zone coverage. It is not. On occasions man-to-man has to be played. Newman should have then released his receiver to Davis and covered the RB in his zone. Davis would have picked up the WR in the deep zone. Since Fujita didn't make the "pattern read" he left Davis with two guys to cover. The play was screwed up here. An outnumbered safety is pretty much screwed. This is why you cannot blame Davis for this play.

0926_3.gif

The version of cover 2 that Davies is describing isn't what we were playing, nor is it what most NFL teams play these days. Most teams now play what is sometimes called the "Tampa 2," in which the middle linebacker drops into the deep middle. If you watch the play, that's obviously what Bradie James was doing. Compare Davies' diagram to the diagram I posted (see below for the diagram again), then compare that to the play itself. It's obvious that James was dropping into the deep middle instead of playing a short zone.

924292cover2.JPG

Fujita wasn't supposed to follow Gonzalez deep, because that's what James was doing. And you still don't seem to realize that Davis was out of position from the very start of the play because he bit on the fake. That's why he had to turn and run. All Davis had to do was play it the same way as Roy, stay back, face upfield, stay in his zone, and the Chiefs wouldn't have had a touchdown throwing to either Kennison or Gonzalez. Davis blew it -- nobody else.

TEK2000

Reaction score
wsmith_1972 said:

The fact remains that Davis is not deep enough because he bit on the play action. If he had stayed in position, he would have had a better view of the routes and been running FORWARD toward the reciever as the ball is thrown rather than running along side him/chasing him. There's no point in him lining up deep if he's going to run 5 yards or more toward the line of scrimmage as soon as the ball is snapped.

On another note... Phil Simms is the biggest idiot. He calls Terrence Newman Anthony Henry and Roy Williams Keith Davis. Then he points out "Anthony Henry" trying to play both Kennison and the RB indicating that he think's its Newman's fault because he let Kennison go. Just another reason why he annoys me so much.

Dallas22

Reaction score
Anyone going to be able to put up the ENTIRE game for those that missed it or want to re-watch the game in it's entirety??? Calico? :)

Thanks

GO COWBOYS!!!

Dallas22

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
wsmith_1972 said:
davidyee said:

QUOTE]

You are assuming he runs the same route. He doesn't. No way he cuts into the post if Davis is not on him. He would have gone straight or even cheat to the open area to the right vacated by Davis (if he went to cover Kennison).

...Roy is requried to do his job and adjust to the route. He starts out on the 30 yard line for god sakes. He has what we call in the game an angle on the receiver.

Your problem is that you won't recognized that Roy Williams was in position to play his side of the field to the middle half. There wasn't deep penetration by the receiver on his half of the field. He was available to adjust to the middle route.

Kennison had deep penetration on Newman because Newman was required to cover the short zone (flat). Davis' job was easy. There would have been a lower probability of a TD if Davis would have played Kennison.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Dallas22 said:
Anyone going to be able to put up the ENTIRE game for those that missed it or want to re-watch the game in it's entirety??? Calico? :)

Thanks

GO COWBOYS!!!

Dallas22

Man, I wish I could but those suckers just take too much time to convert and the files are just too humongous.

I will keep searching for easier methods.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Just wondering, is there a download available of the complete KC/Dallas game? I was at the game so I haven't seen it on tv yet. Stupid tivo screwed up.

TEK2000

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Man, I wish I could but those suckers just take too much time to convert and the files are just too humongous.

I will keep searching for easier methods.

HEHE.. I figured you'd realize that and give up.

The only way to get the game "internet friendly" is to have DirectTV and get the NFL Shortcuts where the entire game is only like 30 minutes long (no between play replays/time wasters or commecials). I think this is how Calico is able to get the games up so quickly.