Week 14: Cowboys vs. Chiefs Videos Here

demdcowboys#1

Reaction score
I cant wait to record them, im at school now, and cant wait to get em

THANX TEK!!!!

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
My thanks to you, my family managed to get me a copy of a mash rerun, not exactly what I wanted to watch sunday night, they had it on fox and I guess it was on cbs...

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Great recap, Adam. I am glad you cleared that up just incase anyone thought Newman got burned. I like Davis as a ST and in on run situations, but definitely we need to address FS this off season.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
excellent work Adam, thanks for taking the time to explain and show
how this play developed. ya gotta love this place !!!!!!

Hiero

Reaction score
man am I tired of this loser Keith Davis. He had his chance, Parcells cannot make the mistake of trusting him to start ever again. We need a FS there badly to overtake him. How many times can one man be out of position in a year. Why does he try to stop the run every freakin play!!?!??! Doesnt he understand teams are abusing him. Stupid moron.

Reaction score
Adam if I go and start coaching you'll be in first guy I call, master of breaking things down ( cap, game tape etc) dude Kudos. One quick question how much room you think we'll have under the cap?

calico

Reaction score
Nice recap Adam. You should do one for the Hall catch late in the game showing a LB trying to bump him.

TEK2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the credit otero1.. I appreciate it.

And glad everyone enjoyed the vids.

Nice breakdown Adam.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
otero1 said:
On the Flea Flicker...........Rivera got pushed into the backfield about 5-6 yards. The entire right hand side pretty much collapsed.

Gurode and Allen pretty much dominated whatever mess the Chiefs brought from Center to left.

Gurode came off his initial jab block and assisted with blocking the rushing LB.

Al Johnson and Gurode better bring their lunch pails on Sunday because Griffin and Salavae are going to bring the heat right up the middle.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Before reading this know that I've not been fond of Keith Davis playing safety all season long .. in fact, I was adament about it as far back as pre-season that we needed a different safety. He's a great special teams player and a good backup safety but he doesn't need to be starting. Also, when I watched the game, I blamed Davis for this play and I have posted more than once since then saying it wasn't Newman's fault, it was Davis' fault. Now, all of that being said, consider this analysis.

Note: Download and watch the video of the play BEFORE viewing these images if possible because what I'm showing is a lot more evident in the full motion video.

7380681.jpg

The play is just getting started. Newman is lined up playing man. Keep in mind, of all the defensive backs on the team, Newman is the ONE player you would trust in man-to-man single coverage.

9512292.jpg

In this image, something shows up that I missed watching the game. Now, keep in mind, that Davis doesn't have this view, he only has his viewpoint to consider. From his viewpoint, Newman has the outside receiver and the player (I can't tell who it is .. so I'm going to refer to him as LostPlayer) that is up around the 45 yard line appears to be heading to cover what I assume is the tight-end or full-back running to the right side toward the first down marker. Davis sees LostPlayer facing forward while the other receiver goes past him.

2037533.jpg

In this image, Davis sees a linebacker (I assume Bradie James) chasing the receiver going downfield and he sees Newman facing Kennison who he appears to be covering. Now, look at LostPlayer .. he's running toward the KC player running the out pattern.

9103914.jpg

Now, for some reason, LostPlayer stops his pursuit, and proceeds to stand still. Newman, realizing this, has a choice to make .. cover Kennison and give up the first down or cover the short route and hope Davis is in position to cover him. So, Newman chooses to cover the short route.

7257195.jpg

The ball is thrown to Kennison while LostPlayer is completely out of the area to cover either Kennison or the short route. In other words, LostPlayer has found the only spot on the field with no one to cover and decided to stand there.

6217186.jpg

In this image, Kennison is catching the pass and has moved 5 more yards down field in the time it took LostPlayer to gain 2.5 yards running full speed.

Now, was Davis at fault here? Possibly, but safeties are taught to help linebackers covering deep routes before helping conerbacks. To me, the real fault of this play falls squarely on the shoulders of LostPlayer. Watch the video and you will see it more plainly than even these images though.

I really like to know who LostPlayer is.

-Reality

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Reality, the player you're blaming is Fujita. But he was in his zone, right where he should have been.

Here's a good diagram of how the coverage should be played --

924292cover2.JPG

Now look at the fourth photo you posted --

9103914.jpg

Everyone is in proper position but Davis, whose back was turned to Kennison and who didn't have the proper depth because he bit on the fake.

TEK2000

Reaction score
Simple breakdown:
Newman and Henry have the short route reciever (flat route/short curl/short out/hitch)
Williams and Davis have deep halves of the field
MLB's have short middle of the field zones
OLB has outside zone helping in the flat

Newman reroutes Kennison (normal in cover 2) and then breaks off of Kennison to pick up the RB coming out of the backfield in the flat. Henry keeps going deeper in his zone as no underneath reciever enters his zone to pull him off of the deep curl route on the far side of the field.
Roy Williams moves in position to take far side reciever and then reverts back to Gonzo coming up the middle as Gonzo starts to run up the middle splitting the safety's zones.
Davis should NOT have stayed with Gonzo but rather picked up Kennison running the post route into his zone.
MLB (Bradie James it appears) does a good job of covering underneath Gonzo blocking the throwing lane between QB and Gonzo.

Summary: Davis stuck with Gonzo instead of picking up Kennison entering his zone.

This is an excellent offensive play to run against this defense. You have Gonzo splitting the safety's zones (which caused a problem for Davis) while Kennison runs a post and a RB enters the flats. ALL DB's and LB's MUST maintain their correct coverage in order to defense this play when in Cover 2... consequently that didn't happen and we gave up the big play.

I'm a big fan of Davis on special teams but he's just not a starter in my opinion.

If anyone thought for a second that Newman was to blame.. you are absolutely and utterly wrong.

TEK2000

Reaction score
I kept thinking.. HAND THE BALL TO ROY!!! or one of our DB's that would have outrun KC's guys. LOL

Seeing that effort by Roy just makes me like him even more. I mean he HUSTLED to get up to Spears and then did what he could to try to fend off 3 guys.

TEK2000

Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
If need be, I can post the entire game video tonight.

- Mike G.

How big of a file will that be? And are you posting the entire CBS broadcast or just DirecTV Shortcuts?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
PLEASE POST IT.:(

i have seen every game this year except sunday.im ashamed of myself

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Not sure, never done it before actually.

I bought my DVD Recorder last week and this is my first recording which I have already ripped it to the Hard Drive to make menus and do some other razzle dazzle stuff with it.

I have done a ton of conversions "Some media" to "DVD" but I have never went the other way "DVD" to "AVI".

I dont know how long the Conversion is going to take and how big the files are going to be.

I think WinAVI will do DVD to AVI (I just dont know which files in the VIDEO_TS to choose).

Once I figure that out, if the files are too big, I will just break them up into small pieces using a software called VirtualMod.

I will start the conversion before I go work out at around 5:30. Once I come back, hopefully it will be done and I can just break them up before going to the movies :).

- Mike G.