Wendy's Ghost Pepper Chicken Sandwich

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Flamma

Reaction score
I haven't been to Wendy's in awhile. I'll have to try this out. As long as it's tasty, I'll be happy. But I won't be expecting any heat. The Ghost Pepper label is a gimmick. It sounds cool. But the amount of actual ghost pepper you'll find in these fast food products is close to nonexistent. Fast food places stick to Jalapeno and cayenne for their spice. Most don't even touch Habanero, let alone ghost pepper.

Flamma

Reaction score
Oh man, you can't blame the sandwich for your mistake! That's the stuff that makes everyone wanna tap out on Hot Ones.
Because they add pepper extract to it. Pepper extract has no business being in a hot sauce. It's foul. It's meant as an ingredient to be cooked to add heat without changing the taste. Not poured directly on food.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I haven't been to Wendy's in awhile. I'll have to try this out. As long as it's tasty, I'll be happy. But I won't be expecting any heat. The Ghost Pepper label is a gimmick. It sounds cool. But the amount of actual ghost pepper you'll find in these fast food products is close to nonexistent. Fast food places stick to Jalapeno and cayenne for their spice. Most don't even touch Habanero, let alone ghost pepper.
And it's definitely not ghost pepper hot, but it's about jalapeño hot, which is more than any other fast food chicken sandwich I've ever tasted. Even habañero is stretching the actual heat of any of those. Sure, Hooters or Buffalo Wild Wings has hotter sandwiches, but that's not fast food.

Also, I'm less interested in heat than I am flavor, and it's pretty tasty. Not quite as good as Popeye's, IMO, but it's a different flavor, so I expect others to have different opinions.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Because they add pepper extract to it. Pepper extract has no business being in a hot sauce. It's foul. It's meant as an ingredient to be cooked to add heat without changing the taste. Not poured directly on food.
I agree. I don't even like pepper extracts to be added as an ingredient. I prefer the natural flavor of peppers being slow cooked with the food.

Flamma

Reaction score
And it's definitely not ghost pepper hot, but it's about jalapeño hot, which is more than any other fast food chicken sandwich I've ever tasted. Even habañero is stretching the actual heat of any of those. Sure, Hooters or Buffalo Wild Wings has hotter sandwiches, but that's not fast food.

Also, I'm less interested in heat than I am flavor, and it's pretty tasty. Not quite as good as Popeye's, IMO, but it's a different flavor, so I expect others to have different opinions.
You're exactly right. Once you go beyond fast food, then anything is possible. I'm also only interested in the taste. But I'd like it if it was just a little spicy. My tolerance is up lately, so I won't expect it.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree. I don't even like pepper extracts to be added as an ingredient. I prefer the natural flavor of peppers being slow cooked with the food.
That is ideal. My wife made some chili with that method and it was outstanding.

Extract is more practical, and it stays a lot longer. Probably forever. I've used it a few times, and it hasn't fouled anything up. But you definitely have to be careful with that crap. Which is why I use it sparingly.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wendys food has been bad for like 10 years but now I want to try this. Lol
It's not quite as tasty as Popeye's, IMO, but it's close, and much hotter. Also, I've noticed Wendy's has a tendency to make their products best when they first introduce them, so you may want to hurry, before they start using smaller pieces of chicken.
:grin:

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
It's not quite as tasty as Popeye's, IMO, but it's close, and much hotter. Also, I've noticed Wendy's has a tendency to make their products best when they first introduce them, so you may want to hurry, before they start using smaller pieces of chicken.
:grin:
I liked popeyes spicy sandwhich

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

I like spicy food. Have jalapenos on burgers often. But if it gets to where the heat overpowers the taste then I'm not interested.

But fast-food places won't have a super-hot burger on the menu, it limits sales.

I had an extensive conversation with a McDonald's supervisor many years ago while we were touring hurricane Hugo damages. He said that McDonalds woudldn't sell any menu item that didn't sell at least a certain percentage of the total menu. The excepttion was the McDlt, which they considered their version of Burger King's Whopper, for the folks that went to McDonalds in a group but really preferred BK, that way they could give them approximately the same burger.

There are exceptions like the McRib, but those are limited time and market items, they don't sell enough of them to keep them on the menu all the time...

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I like spicy food. Have jalapenos on burgers often. But if it gets to where the heat overpowers the taste then I'm not interested.

But fast-food places won't have a super-hot burger on the menu, it limits sales.

I had an extensive conversation with a McDonald's supervisor many years ago while we were touring hurricane Hugo damages. He said that McDonalds woudldn't sell any menu item that didn't sell at least a certain percentage of the total menu. The excepttion was the McDlt, which they considered their version of Burger King's Whopper, for the folks that went to McDonalds in a group but really preferred BK, that way they could give them approximately the same burger.

There are exceptions like the McRib, but those are limited time and market items, they don't sell enough of them to keep them on the menu all the time...
I agree that spicy is only good as long as it doesn't interfere with the flavor. This doesn't do that.
I think I can best describe my preference as this: If a sip of my drink doesn't wash away most of the heat before taking another bite, it's spicier than it needs to be.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I haven’t tried it yet, but could never understand the craze over Popeyes chicken sandwich a few years ago. It was good, but nothing special in my opinion.