Wentz causing problems in philly

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The plan was always to try to get a pick for Foles if they could. This is nothing new. The question is can the Eagles work their cap to be able to hold him long enough to trade him. They have to be under the cap by the start of the league year.

And people are making way too much out of this Wentz story. A large number of players backed him after this story broke so it's not like he's en enemy in that locker room.

The bigger issue facing the Eagles is their cap. They are going to have to make some really tough decisions and then with 4 picks in the Top 90, gonna have to nail them.

No way of knowing what the plan always was. What we do know is that the team loves Foles. They play better for him. They’re really cap-strapped but are reportedly going to franchise him and let other contributors walk as a result, amid stories that there are issues with a Wentz in the locker room that are at least significant enough for Wentz to publicly address them.

They’re listening to offers for both guys right now.

Pape

Reaction score
The plan was always to try to get a pick for Foles if they could. This is nothing new. The question is can the Eagles work their cap to be able to hold him long enough to trade him. They have to be under the cap by the start of the league year.

And people are making way too much out of this Wentz story. A large number of players backed him after this story broke so it's not like he's en enemy in that locker room.

The bigger issue facing the Eagles is their cap. They are going to have to make some really tough decisions and then with 4 picks in the Top 90, gonna have to nail them.

look at their numbers, and they aren't that far away... especially of guys like chris long, jason kelce and ? possible Bradham retire/are cut this year... designate post 6/1 and they are almost out of the red...

C42

Reaction score
No way of knowing what the plan always was. What we do know is that the team loves Foles. They play better for him. They’re really cap-strapped but are reportedly going to franchise him and let other contributors walk as a result, amid stories that there are issues with a Wentz in the locker room that are at least significant enough for Wentz to publicly address them.

Highly doubt it. They are getting an extra $2 mil picking up Foles’ option. As for the report, we do know most of it is fabricated by a ton of his teammates coming out and refuting the report. And playing better under Foles isn’t really a fact either. Like you said, there is no way of knowing, it applies here as well.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It’s going to be so fun watching PHI eat their own on this one.

Anybody still think the franchising Foles story is to maybe get a pick for him?
This one struck me as very weird.
Foles is signed fro 20M already....

• Eagles must exercise 2019 option 1 week after the Super Bowl
  • Foles has 5 days after the Eagles' decision to exercise. If he declines he must payback $2M of the 2018 bonus
  • 2019 salary fully guarantees on 3/18/2019
  • 2020-2021 years automatically void if on the roster 23 days before the 2019 league year

I don't understand how they "can" franchise him legally (either they decline their option or he buys himself out of it and should be an URFA) and if they could where they would get the cap space.

Foles obviously wants to be a free agent because he's likely worth 80-100m on the open QB market.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
look at their numbers, and they aren't that far away... especially of guys like chris long, jason kelce and ? possible Bradham retire/are cut this year... designate post 6/1 and they are almost out of the red...
they are 25M over (league worst) before they pay anyone else.
they are not anywhere near close to being set.

they need to do something w Foles.

keep in mind they also are over the cap in 2020 already and they need to find 30m a year for wentz somewhere.

that is as poorly managed a cap as I have seen since late 90s DAL/WAS

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I know one thing for sure and that is Philly looked like a different team when Foles stepped in. They looked to have more bounce in their step and guys were not getting as involved with Wentz came on strong when Foles entered the picture. Raw talent I think Wentz has an edge but how a team responds to the QB and how he is able to work guys into the mix means a lot. If Philly ships Foles out and stays with Wentz as well as paying the big contract I think Wentz will have a ton of pressure on his shoulders. Philly fans will come unglued if he and that team struggle as they did this past season.

Sydla

Reaction score

Yes, we had a pretty good idea of what their plan is. It's been well reported up here in Philly for weeks that they had been discussing trying to trade Foles. And the first step towards that plan happened a few days ago when it was reported that they were picking up his $20MM option. Now they are waiting on him to pay the $2MM back to buy out the option at which point they could let him walk in FA or tag him and work a trade with someone.

There is no plan to keep him. It's been well reported a few weeks ago that Wentz was their QB. Pederson came out and said it three weeks ago.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
This one struck me as very weird.
Foles is signed fro 20M already....

• Eagles must exercise 2019 option 1 week after the Super Bowl
  • Foles has 5 days after the Eagles' decision to exercise. If he declines he must payback $2M of the 2018 bonus
  • 2019 salary fully guarantees on 3/18/2019
  • 2020-2021 years automatically void if on the roster 23 days before the 2019 league year
I don't understand how they "can" franchise him legally (either they decline their option or he buys himself out of it and should be an URFA) and if they could where they would get the cap space.

Foles obviously wants to be a free agent because he's likely worth 80-100m on the open QB market.

First, I don't think they can decline the option and then tag him. They either can offer him the option, he pays the buy out then tag him. And it wouldn't make sense anyway to just decline the option and then tag him. Maybe him pay you back $2MM to decline the option.

As for the cap, per Spotrac they are $18MM over the cap. But they just restructured McLeod and saved $7.5MM or so now they are $10.5MM over. They can cut Peters and save another $8MM or so. They also have some restructures and a few other smaller cuts they can make that would allow them to fit Foles' $25MM tag under the cap by start of league year. Then when they move him, they free up that $25MM.

Their cap situation is tough but not unworkable. Very much like how we would work our cap years ago when we were always tight to the cap. There will be a bit of pain with Philly though as they have to make decisions on guys like Darby, Hicks, Graham, etc.

Pape

Reaction score
they are 25M over (league worst) before they pay anyone else.
they are not anywhere near close to being set.

they need to do something w Foles.

keep in mind they also are over the cap in 2020 already and they need to find 30m a year for wentz somewhere.

that is as poorly managed a cap as I have seen since late 90s DAL/WAS

Foles is the reason they are over the cap. Move him, and they are right at it or below it before the new year starts. A few restructures, they have plenty of room to work with. Could they be in a better position,sure, but the reality of cap mechanics makes it easy enough to kick any can they need to down the road.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, we had a pretty good idea of what their plan is. It's been well reported up here in Philly for weeks that they had been discussing trying to trade Foles. And the first step towards that plan happened a few days ago when it was reported that they were picking up his $20MM option. Now they are waiting on him to pay the $2MM back to buy out the option at which point they could let him walk in FA or tag him and work a trade with someone.

There is no plan to keep him. It's been well reported a few weeks ago that Wentz was their QB. Pederson came out and said it three weeks ago.

I know they've been saying it. I don't believe them. I think they're looking at all options and that the concerns over the injury history and how Wentz is viewed in that locker room are legitimate. He's a really good QB, but he's not liked at much as Foles, and he has been hurt each of his last 4 seasons. All it takes is one more injury with Foles not on the roster for that seat to get pretty hot. It's Philly.