Wentz is better than Dak in some things at this point

haleyrules

Reaction score
The Eagles have Wentz and the Cowboys have Prescott. Whats to debate. Prescott and team just beat Wentz and the Eagle defense. Wentz looks OK... ordinary...nothing special. Prescott seems to be a the element the Cowboys have lacked for years. Win when it counts. I would rather have Prescott than the overhyped Wentz. He isn't doing much with his great defense.

StarGazer1

Reaction score
I dont really think it is. If wentz had more than a half second to get rid of the ball there would be no conparison. That there is a comparison shows why wentz went round 1 and dak went round 4+.

I wouldnt trade drafts with philly and im more than happy with Dak as the long term starter, but i would definitely trade dak for wentz.

Dak was under intense pressure from the Eagles defense all night and Wentz had very little pressure on most of his pass attempts. I would like to see how Wentz would have looked if we had the Eagles pass rush. They are both doing a good job, but I'm just glad we got Dak.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
If you judge it on Sunday night alone then Wentz looks like the better prospect. But the entire season says Dak is better. Hatera.are gonna hate.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I don't think that's what he's doing. I think he gets a kick out of the narrative. truth be told, I think he's laughing at everyone who's getting upset about what he's saying. He's a Cowboys fan. In a perfect world, Wentz will flame out and Dak will go on to win 5 superbowls...and the whole time RS will be preaching about what Wentz could have done here.

It cracks me up.

Yeah, he doesn't realize the jokes on him.

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
Idk man romo throws for 500 and 7 td's but throws a late pick as someone steps on his foot and a Broncos lb makes a diving play and romo is a choker.

Prescott is awful all game, makes a worse fourth quarter throw but the db drops it, and this is the shining example of why he should replace romo

Who called Romo a choker for that game? He outplayed Peyton Manning in his prime vs. a better defense.

Romo led us to come from behind wins all the time. He was great at it. It gets lost because he had to do it so much and, inevitably, made mistakes along the way.

Wentz also threw some poor, "interceptable," passes late in the game that our DBs didn't catch. But fact of the matter is, in 3 tries this year, he hasn't been able to lead his team down the field for a tie or win when he's had the chance. Dak has already done it. There's some nuance in this argument here that you're skipping over, but is pretty important.

superonyx

Reaction score
Idk man romo throws for 500 and 7 td's but throws a late pick as someone steps on his foot and a Broncos lb makes a diving play and romo is a choker.

Prescott is awful all game, makes a worse fourth quarter throw but the db drops it, and this is the shining example of why he should replace romo
I didn't think this had anything to do with replacing Romo. At least in my mind. I'm nervous and if he is replacing Romo then I think we made the wrong decision. But I won't let me feeling on Romo cloud my defense of Dak in the Wentz comparison.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Wentz has shown to be much better at collapsing in the 4th quarter with the game on the line and throwing key interceptions that cost his team the game..

That is all.

Dak is better at winning games.
He could be 7-0 while Wentz is tethering around .500... due in part to defense.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'm not sure where they get this 'Wentz is more accurate' theory. He's throwing much shorter passes and doesn't have the placement that Dak has.

I *might* take Wentz if I could sit him out the rest of this year and most of 2017. I love his size, athleticism and arm. He has a pretty good command of the pre-snap reads. But, the game moves way too fast for him.

Contrary to popular belief, his receivers do get open down the field, but he doesn't anticipate very well to find them. This 'he's doing what he's told to do' excuse is nonsense. He doesn't see the route happening.

Dak is kinda at the point where Romo was in 2016. He got off to a super hot start and was deadly throwing the ball out of the pocket. I think teams are going to throw a ton of exotic blitzes and zone blitzes at Dak like they did at Romo and try to keep him in the pocket. The difference is that Romo was much better at anticipating throws, particularly deep throws.

I think if we see teams going with the same gameplan the Eagles did, that alone tells me that Dak is far ahead of where Wentz is at this point because teams are willing to get out of their comfort zone schematically because otherwise they'll get torched. Teams aren't getting out of their comfort zone schematically for Wentz.

YR

Reaction score
There seems to be an irresistable force behind the media and fans to project and make definitive statements long before all the facts are in. Seems like only yesterday they had crowned Kaepernick as the GOAT and paid him a bazillion dollars, lol.

I like our guy's intangibles and athleticism, qualities which Tebow has as well btw, but hopefully his accuracy, consistency and quickly reading defenses is something that can improve. We will have to wait and see. The same holds true for Wentz though he sometimes throws a prettier ball.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
I was reading some of the reports and wanted to share. I am not sure that this has been posted before so the mods can delete if so.

Mike Francesa, WFAN in New York City: Wentz, in what they're asking him to do he's doing it very well. He's accurate with the ball. He's a good passer. He looks the part, he really does. He really looks the part. So there are some things about Prescott that will show you how rough he is around the edges. You like his composure and you like the fact he doesn't rattle. He's still very rough around the edges in some parts at quarterbacking while Wentz is much more polished in what he's doing right now.

Colin Cowherd, FOX Sports 1: [Wentz] is really special. He doesn't have that Cowboy O-line, he doesn't have Ezekiel Elliott, he's got nothing to work with on the outside. I really like him. There was a couple plays [Sunday] when he got sacked from behind and didn't fumble. I think he's a very strong, athletic [and] nimble kid. I think he's good at the line of scrimmage. Both those quarterbacks [Wentz and Prescott] are. But I'll say it again: I like Dak, but boy that ensemble he's playing with. Ezekiel's better than I thought. Tyron Smith, that left tackle; I read a football site like a week ago and they called him like the sixth best tackle. I don't know who the other five are because last night, he's pushing guys around. I think Wentz is a really special player.
All looks pretty accurate.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
This myth is perpetuated by the press and fans. At this point no one knows who is better.

Especially when you look at the surrounding players and offensive play calling. Doesn't mean i think Dak can be better. But it will take several years of starting for both of them, and still you cannot compare apples to flat tires if their teams are not successful at putting talent around these players.

Maybe why I think the elite arguments about quarterbacks on this board is about as significant as doodling.
:hammer:Thanks you. Hardly any data on each to argue about at this point.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Hilarious. I thought it was pretty indicative when the announcers were lavishing Wentz for taking a sack and not fumbling. It was a terrible sack that 100% all him. But it was still spun into a positive.

The only thing Wentz has on Dak at this point is the high draft pick status and the 'look' of a traditional QB.

Dak is doing things on a regular basis that Wentz isn't even trying.
I re-watched the game last night and listening to Collingsworth: Every time Wentz was playing, he used words like in control, leader, smart, accurate, effective, great. "He's certainly played better than what I thought and taken the lead in this game". as in the lead between the 2 QB's
Most of the time Dak was playing. "He has to be careful down on this end not to make a mistake" and "This is where he threw an interception last time" "He's been questionably good for the most part tonight". Nothing negative when W threw that gift pic to Oscan at the end. And yes the complements when he got sacked was ridiculous. You could even hear Al grimace in despair when Oscan was about to sac Wentz.
I could go on and on and I think until Dak consistently leads this team deep in the playoffs there will be questions about him. Is what it is. Wentz will get a pass because of statistics and he is a pretty good QB.

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
This myth is perpetuated by the press and fans. At this point no one knows who is better.

Especially when you look at the surrounding players and offensive play calling. Doesn't mean i think Dak can be better. But it will take several years of starting for both of them, and still you cannot compare apples to flat tires if their teams are not successful at putting talent around these players.

Maybe why I think the elite arguments about quarterbacks on this board is about as significant as doodling.
In a few years we will start to see who is better and at what. Both are playing very well for rookies. Both have things they can improve on

Lutonio

Reaction score
Again, the talk leading up to the game was how great Wentz is and how he can beat Dallas. Now we get to hear the excuses.

Maybe give Dak that defense.

robjay04

Reaction score
I dont really think it is. If wentz had more than a half second to get rid of the ball there would be no conparison. That there is a comparison shows why wentz went round 1 and dak went round 4+.

The fact that we are having this debate shows its debatable.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I wonder how effective Wentz would be if we had a pass rush as dynamic as Philly's.

He gets to practice against them every day, so perhaps that's an advantage for him.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
Wentz has a lot more zip than Dak, whose throws seem to be in slow motion. Dak has better offense right now, but Wentz may be the better QB.