Twitter: Werder: Dak will be NFL's highest-paid player

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
why go back to 2016 go from Romo to a 3rd on the depth chart in a 4th round QB and we didnt miss a beat,,sometimes you cut your losses when a player wants way above his paygrade and it can be detrimental to bulding the team..so gamble go get Jhurts int he 4th and let him be behind Dak under the FT this seson and get his feet wet using him like Thill in NO or lie they did LJ rookie year,, if it blows up it blows up CZ wants a top pick in 2021 and we can get Lawerence..:))

Several things wrong with this.

1. Finding a QB that's even in the same zip code as Dak has been in the 4th round is an extremely difficult task, even lower odds than your first round QB panning out to be a franchise QB (which are already pretty low odds)
2. If you let a decent QB walk only to go cheap or try to find a franchise QB in the draft, you are rebuilding and if you aren't you are wasting all the talent you currently have or have signed in the offseason - wasting your window of opportunity
3. In order to get someone like Lawrence, you are going to need THE first pick in the draft. A QB prospect close to him? Then certainly top 5. That requires tanking. Locking up all our good young talent means we aren't tanking and that's not happening.

cowboyec

Reaction score
4yrs in he's just a honda accord. You can't see it either you're just tired from the quarantine. Groupies gonna groupie. See how easy that is???
ask the Commanders how it's going?

when you got 1....
pay him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You have completely missed the point that we spent FIVE YEARS with terrible QBs, instead choosing to argue this ridiculous point about Tony Romo being a franchise QB in waiting the moment he was drafted and just needed developing. I hope you are not this obtuse in real life.

I wouldn't give two craps if we had to have a couple of bad seasons if we that means we end up with a 10 or 10+ year starting QB. AGAIN, we found Romo 2 years after Aikman retired. We found Prescott, who this place loves, while Romo was still on the roster. We went from White to Aikman a couple years later, we had Stabauch shortly before White, and Meredith before then. Our franchise has done pretty dang well replacing QBs, don't you think?

I'm not at all worried about moving on. We are the Dallas Cowboys, not the freakin' Browns.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He’s worth it because he’s the best you got. You don’t have to be a top 5 player at your position to be paid like it, Cooper and Tank proved that. It’s about the cap your team has and how much they need the player. Dallas needs Dak desperately, he’ll get every penny.

This thinking is what is driving up QB prices. Again, there is enough data out there now showing this bloated QB contracts are not good for a franchise. It's doubly worse when you overpay mediocrity.

We aren't the Eagles, dude. We have a long history of winning, this type of thinking is what caused us to become....well, what the Eagles were most of their history.

WeDemBoyz

Reaction score
This is the way I feel... As soon as KC pays up for Mahomes, they won't be the same kind of threat to win the SB. See Russell Wilson, Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, etc etc

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Think about this............. Jerry has negotiated three big contracts in the last two years.

In each one, he buckled and made that player the highest paid player in the league at that position per AAV (Lawrence, then Elliott, then Cooper).

And he's about to do it again here with Dak. Because he's a crappy negotiator and players and agents know he'll buckle.

When all is said and done, we'll probably be wasting $10MM of so of cap space each year because he overpaid each of these four players.
Not to mention Smith at LB.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I wouldn't give two craps if we had to have a couple of bad seasons if we that means we end up with a 10 or 10+ year starting QB. AGAIN, we found Romo 2 years after Aikman retired. We found Prescott, who this place loves, while Romo was still on the roster. We went from White to Aikman a couple years later, we had Stabauch shortly before White, and Meredith before then. Our franchise has done pretty dang well replacing QBs, don't you think?

I'm not at all worried about moving on. We are the Dallas Cowboys, not the freakin' Browns.
And then Dak beat Romo out.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Wentz, Goff and Wilson all had extensions that started in the same year, so the cap didn't increas. Brees and Brady are 400 years old and not top QBs, they're not even worth comparing

Good Christ...some people will apparently rationalize anything.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
This thinking is what is driving up QB prices. Again, there is enough data out there now showing this bloated QB contracts are not good for a franchise. It's doubly worse when you overpay mediocrity.

We aren't the Eagles, dude. We have a long history of winning, this type of thinking is what caused us to become....well, what the Eagles were most of their history.

The Eagles at least have a superbowl to show for it. When was the last time we ever won anything? It's been a while.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I didn't say just garbage time stat. I said garbage time stats OR they came against bad teams. He had one good performance last year - that was against the Vikings. Eagles were not a good team, they were pretty bad with a QB that elevated his team in the final 3 games.

Dak had a rating in the 70s against both the Bills and Bears until the final couple drives where he padded his numbers. Here are his stats against quality teams (I'll throw in Eagles so you don't cry about that)

New Orleans Saints - 73.2 rating, 0 TDs, 1 INT
Green Bay Packers - 2 TDs, 3 INTs, 83.8
Philadelphia Eagles - 100.5 1 TD, 1 INT
Minnesota Vikings - 101.4 3 TDs, 1 INT (his best game of the year)
New England Patriots - 64.2, 0 TDs, 1 INT
Buffalo Bills - 91.8 rating (this is the game his rating was garbage until he padded at the end and followed that up against the Bears)
Do or die game against the Eagles - 74.5 0 TDs and 0 INTs

He freakin' sucked against the majority of the good teams he faced last year. He was also pretty "meh" against the Jets and sucked against the Bears. It was not a good season for Dak, but everyone can keep pumping up his TD and passing yard totals.
giphy.gif

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
If so then it's massively undeserved. When the pressure was on the last few games of the season he failed how is he going to handle the pressure he's putting on himself now........... we'll find out if he can walk the walk or if it's all self hype. The ball will soon be in his court.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
I hope not, he has not earned it. He is a good leader, but Dak it not elite by any means. If he were we would not have been 8-8 last year. I can't think of a game where he rallied the team and drove down the field to win at the last minute last year. Dak is no Staubach or Aikman....yet.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Its going the same as it was before not much difference. I see you like stat padding average qb's.
no.
i like a good young QB with the 2nd most wins
over his 4yrs...2 div titles...2 playoff appearances.
every year he's gotten better.
helluva QB.
helluva player.
helluva leader.
better person.
he's earned his pay day.