Twitter: Werder: "Internal Conflict" With Signing Earl Thomas

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Well if Mike says no then it should be no, but I am not convinced the media has the whole story straight at this point.
McCarthy is not the GM. Jerry could have made him coach and GM, but he didn't.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well if Mike says no then it should be no, but I am not convinced the media has the whole story straight at this point.
This.
It's only speculation that MM doesn't want Thomas.

From MM's perspective, you can see why he might at least be hesitant.
Both Pete Carroll and especially now John Harbaugh parted ways with him

He sees this team as in real harmony right now. It's all lining up well on a paper, though if you could spot an area of weakness, it'd be safety.
Baltimore saw their team as contenders and did not want any chance of a lone player derailing things

So, I'm guessing McCarthy just wants be very comfortable with it, and may not quite be there yet. I'm sure he has spoken to the other coaches.

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
McCarthy’s best years were with an elite free safety ... Nick Collins

Sydla

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is not the GM. Jerry is. McCarthy knew that when he took the job. What about Jerry tells you that he'd allow McCarthy to bully him in that way? Sure, he'd listen to his input, but the buck stops with Jerry. There's a reason he's never hired a real GM.

Is it bullying or is it the GM taking into account the issues a coach would have with a current roster make up and how he views his culture and locker room?

I mean only a dumb GM would just ignore what the coach would want and then foist upon him a problem child player who now has had issues with two teams.

SoBlue128

Reaction score
As much as he loves the Cowboys and wants to play here one would expect him to ball out and be on his best behavior. Sign him for a couple mil with incentives for each game played with the understanding you will cut his arse for the smallest infraction.

Kwyn

Reaction score

Just watched him on ESPN as well, saying that McCarthy doesn't seem to be into the idea of signing Earl.

Will Jerry do what Jerry does and sign him anyway?

you used quotes in your title “internal conflict” and attributed those words to Werder.

But ... that’s not in his tweet

Quotes mean a ... quote

unless he tweeted those words elsewhere the title is sensational and misleading

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
you used quotes in your title “internal conflict” and attributed those words to Werder.

But ... that’s not in his tweet

Quotes mean a ... quote

unless he tweeted those words elsewhere the title is sensational and misleading
Read a few posts below. I'm well aware of how quotations work, professor.

It was verbatim from his accompanying Sportscenter segment. I'm waiting on the video to be posted to Twitter.

75boyz

Reaction score
Hope?

I've heard here so many times that MM is clearly in charge now.

I've practically been run outta town here for even sharing my doubts about who still makes bottom line roster decisions but..."If McCarthy is against this signing, then why is there still a story?"

Nothing really has changed if this happens now. A percentage of posters here might wanna prepare their but, but, but defenses.

I sure hope this ain't true.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Contacting the player and agent would be the next move if the team is looking to upgrade the talent at safety.

The owner would have to approve that as he would with approaching all players as it is his money and in this case a controversial player.

This is typical protocol. By the way, ET and Xavier Woods have the same agent. Who's to say the club already doesn't have the information they need on that side of things?

DFWJC

Reaction score
As much as he loves the Cowboys and wants to play here one would expect him to ball out and be on his best behavior. Sign him for a couple mil with incentives for each game played with the understanding you will cut his arse for the smallest infraction.
We aren't getting him for that.
He can just sit out and 10 million from the Raven--though they may get some of that back.

San Francisco, Houston, and Dallas are all rumored to be inte running.
Who knows, maybe if he does a 1 year deal ---big if---then he'd take 6-8 mil. Hard to say.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This.
It's only speculation that MM doesn't want Thomas.

From MM's perspective, you can see why he might at least be hesitant.
Both Pete Carroll and especially now John Harbaugh parted ways with him

He sees this team as in real harmony right now. It's all lining up well on a paper, though if you could spot an area of weakness, it'd be safety.
Baltimore saw their team as contenders and did not want any chance of a lone player derailing things

So, I'm guessing McCarthy just wants be very comfortable with it, and may not quite be there yet. I'm sure he has spoken tot he other coaches.

This x 1000........raise your hand if you think Jerry and Stephen signs ET W/O Mike talking with him. Just me, but no owner/GM would disrespect his newly hired coach by forcing a player of ET stature on him w/o his blessing.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We aren't getting him for that.
He can just sit out and 10 million from the Raven--though they may get some of that back.

San Francisco, Houston, and Dallas are all rumored to be inte running.
Who knows, maybe if he does a 1 year deal ---big if---then he'd take 6-8 mil. Hard to say.
Fans love to throw out what we should sign a player for, as if it's all up to the team and the player will go along with anything the team offers.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
A few quotes from a recent CBS article:

"...many around Thomas put up with him, shall we say, showing up not quite ready to practice or missing meetings or doing whatever he cared to do on game day rather than sticking to the scheme or play call."

"He had eroded too much trust to really be accepted anymore, and his teammates saw his skills deteriorating and missteps magnifying."

"Easily the most disliked guy in that locker room," said one source who has been in contact with a multitude of Ravens about Thomas. Not even close."

"emphatic support for cutting him in the locker room"

"Buyer beware, again, to those who might think the Ravens overreacted"

"Thomas couldn't get his act together in nearly 18 months as a Raven. I'm not sure that's changing anywhere else, soon."

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Contacting the player and agent would be the next move if the team is looking to upgrade the talent at safety.

The owner would have to approve that as he would with approaching all players as it is his money and in this case a controversial player.

This is typical protocol. By the way, ET and Xavier Woods have the same agent. Who's to say the club already doesn't have the information they need on that side of things?[/QUOTE]

+1.....interesting, I didn't know they had the same agent.